• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Releases Princess Connect! Re:Dive Smartphone Game Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giovanni Jiménez

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:14 pm Reply with quote
According to App Store, it is expected for March 1, 2021.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
They actually got some English VA's for this franchise in the recent Dragalia Lost event, but I'm guessing this will just have the Japanese VO.

The theme song feels like it's from Sakura Wars.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I liked the anime a lot more than I ever thought I would (Kokkoro is wonderfully awesome). Still can't see myself touching the mobile game, though.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, with the knowledge about how bad Crunchyroll handling the games (Danmachi: Memoria Freese, Grand Summoner, Grand Alliance) - PriConne on the West is already dead before it even come to the market despite people asked Cygames for it for a long time.

The shame indeed.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Well, with the knowledge about how bad Crunchyroll handling the games (Danmachi: Memoria Freese, Grand Summoner, Grand Alliance) - PriConne on the West is already dead before it even come to the market despite people asked Cygames for it for a long time.

The shame indeed.

I don’t know about the other two, so I can’t speak to that, but given the NA version of DanMemo is approaching its third anniversary in a few months, and how regularly we see articles about anime phone games shutting down after a year or less, it seems like you could do much worse than CR has, so I’m not convinced to write it off myself just yet.

I enjoyed the anime, but whether I will check this out depends on how I’m feeling about my current games. I’m almost certainly sticking with two of them, but I could see myself dropping my third by then, so I may check this out.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I guess Crunchyroll is going all in on Priconne. I fell hard into this series following the anime. The amount I've already dropped on merch and figures is ludicrous. While it's tempting to give it a try despite my usual aversion to mobile games, keeping up with the story through videos is easy enough.

Regardless, I hope for the game's success.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone even playing Grand Alliance? Its subreddit barely has any posts, lol. Even Grand Summoners subreddit has people posting on it regularly (albeit to complain about how Crunchie Roll's greediness and laziness is running the EN version to the ground). Anyway, with the bad reputation CR games have, PriConne EN will be dead on arrival.

zrnzle500 wrote:

I don’t know about the other two, so I can’t speak to that, but given the NA version of DanMemo is approaching its third anniversary in a few months, and how regularly we see articles about anime phone games shutting down after a year or less, it seems like you could do much worse than CR has, so I’m not convinced to write it off myself just yet.

I enjoyed the anime, but whether I will check this out depends on how I’m feeling about my current games. I’m almost certainly sticking with two of them, but I could see myself dropping my third by then, so I may check this out.

Didn't the publisher (WFS) revoke CR's license to manage Danmachi Memoria Freese? It speaks volumes about CR Games incompetence.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
honestly they should just cancel this now since CR is gonna ruin to with censorship, incorrect names, and other bad translation. Everything they touch gets ruined. Saddest news I've seen in awhile. Cygames should've just added English text like they did with GBF. Really really disappointing news. Game won't last 2 years (I just assume they investing at least 2 years )
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Oh, that's especially because of how CRG handled the DanMemo - to the point that WFS literally decided to throw out Crunchyroll from the publishing of the game after about the year of it's global service, and now they are handling the NA/global version themselves - while still not even restored all of the content that CRG cut off from the JP version of the game.

Kougeru wrote:
honestly they should just cancel this now since CR is gonna ruin to with censorship, incorrect names, and other bad translation. Everything they touch gets ruined. Saddest news I've seen in awhile. Cygames should've just added English text like they did with GBF. Really really disappointing news. Game won't last 2 years (I just assume they investing at least 2 years )
Well, for all the questions about the PriConne localization they are always said that they need the middleman for that - but giving the game to CRG is really just the worst, especially when we know that Cygames even had choices with that - they just recently announced World Flipper global version, handled by Kakao Games, who literally have the affiliation with PriConne - they are publishing it's KOR servers. And even they are miles better than Crunchy on the mobile games market.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I see this as I look up from playing priconne jp.

hmm, I see. I might download it but I don't know how invested I'd want to get, as I doubt it'll last very long. But it'd be nice to read some of the stories in ENG (namely Akino. Like when she tries to bribe kids into letting her win at baseball.)

I don't know how different the anime was to the game, but the cutscenes I've seen in game are really cringey fanservice harem shenanigans so I wonder if it'll turn people off.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I totally forgot that the game came before the anime.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the anime, so I'll at least check this out.

Didn't know/notice the change with DanMemo. Guess the Crunchyroll Hime character in the game is real rare now Laughing
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:06 am Reply with quote
Heh, Crunchyroll also handled Last Cloudia and Grand Summoners so even if you're the type who doesn't care about censorship, maybe you'll care that they lock pulls behind paid-only currency and make the global version more P2W than JP. Crunchy is right up there with Nexon in terms of anti-consumer publishers for mobile games. I feel sorry for the fans who waited years for a EN release only for this to happen..
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:05 pm Reply with quote
What I don't understand is why Cygames itself didn't publish the game. It's not like they don't have experience with dealing with the Western market, see Granblue Fantasy and Shadowverse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1