• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Oscar Isaac to Play Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not totally excited for Isaac as Snake, but maybe a trailer will change my mind a bit.

Quote:
The first game in the series, released in 1998 on the PlayStation

Metal Gear Solid is the 3rd game in the series. The 1st game in the series is Metal Gear for MSX2 in 1987 followed by Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake in 1990. Both games starred Solid Snake.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
He has the vocal cords to scream Liquid so I´ll overlook him being 41 right now (Snake is 33 in MGS 1). Him looking "past his prime" in his prime would even work with the canon. Hm. The director´s previous film Kong: Skull Island is as legit as big-budget B movies get. Writer Derek Connolly at least scripted Safety Not Guaranteed before checking out and the fact that my nemesis Avi Arad is producing ain´t great either. But then again, Avi can get movies made. He really can. The state of his ventures on the other hand... Oh well. This film will most likely come out as things stand right now and Isaac has been campaigning for this role for at least 2 years.
I wonder how you would cast Liquid. He and Snake look close but not like a 100% match. More like 75%.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Another film that will never be made.

I get optioning the films so they can’t be made by competitors. But these films never get made. They get optioned, someone is half heartily attached to it which they’ll totally do after their real work, everyone forgets it happens, and it ends up on a wiki somewhere as a random trivia note for trivia night at the bar.

When we can go back to those without worrying for our lives.

It’s all so tiresome.
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't see it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Awful choice. He's a fun actor but he's "lovable" not "badass"
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I would have gone with Kiefer Sunderland as a better choice. However I guess this will have to do.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

I get optioning the films so they can’t be made by competitors. But these films never get made. They get optioned, someone is half heartily attached to it which they’ll totally do after their real work, everyone forgets it happens, and it ends up on a wiki somewhere as a random trivia note for trivia night at the bar.

Some also forget that this same argument applied to Alita & Death Not and both of those got made. Yes you still got Gundam and Akira still sitting on the bench waiting to be put in but not everything stays on the sidelines waiting for the day that never comes.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Can he do a good David Hayter voice?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:13 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

When we can go back to those without worrying for our lives.

It’s all so tiresome.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Video game movie adaptations happen all the time. Whether or not they're any good is besides the point but they still happen pretty frequently. Monster Hunter is likely going to be bad but it's finished and supposed to be coming out later this month assuming it doesn't get delayed due to the virus. Sonic the Hedgehog came out earlier this year. We had Detective Pikachu not too long ago and then the Tomb Raider remake before that. There's also the Resident Evil movies and that terrible Assassins' Creed film. So I'm not sure why you think video game movies never happen.
Q4000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:40 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Video game movie adaptations happen all the time.

He probably meant that despite the numerous adaptations released over the years, they don't account for a lot of the properties that have been optioned. Can't say for sure about video games, but SFF novels have a lot of titles being optioned, getting a treatment even, but only a small percentage eventually get made into movies.
Since they already have a major star attached and interested, this might get fast-tracked as was mentioned in the article. If they can finish an agreeable treatment while Isaac is still interested to all the better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1