• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Definitely not Wit, but let's see what MAPPA can do. The titans don't seem as creepy as they did under Wit's tutelage, instead they mostly look like large naked people. They actually looked more on form when they were in their human forms than titan forms. The movement of the CG titans didn't blend well into the scenes for me as well. It was hit and miss how they appeared on screen. And aside from the exposition dictating to us what has been going on since we last left off, the depiction of the war was rather good. It maintained its anti-war vibes without undercutting them with the action sequences.

Overall a fairly strong, but not perfect start to life under MAPPA. I am unsure still of what I look forward to more: actually seeing this animated, or spoiler[seeing the inevitable myriad of posts/think pieces on... let's just say getting with the pogrom.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
Sure did see all sorts of falcons in the opening and ending...
DTM108

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
It’s very unfortunate to see not many people criticizing the CGI in this first episode and instead pretending that it’s well executed. I’ll say it, it looks like shit. Compare it to Levi vs. the Beast Titan in Season 3 (many other examples I could give) and tell me that I’m wrong. And it’s the first episode of the new season with a new studio!? That’s time to bring your A-game. That was a cheap knockoff of the quality of past seasons. We all know it could be better and are just pretending to make ourselves feel good. There’s no excuse with how popular this show has been and how much money it has made that it needed to be downgraded and I still don’t understand why WIT would turn down this final season. What I saw today was no different from One Punch Man Season 2. At least people were honest about that one sucking.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
DTM108 wrote:
-snip- it’s the first episode of the new season with a new studio!? That’s time to bring your A-game. That was a cheap knockoff of the quality of past seasons.-snip-.

Would say blowing their animation wad on what amounts a few expositional heavy/welcome to a new arc of opening episodes would've been a wrong step to take.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:51 am Reply with quote
DTM108 wrote:
It’s very unfortunate to see not many people criticizing the CGI in this first episode and instead pretending that it’s well executed. I’ll say it, it looks like shit.

People probably didn't do that.. because they don't think the way you do ? To me this was better CGI than any of the previous seasons, and especially for anime standard one of the best uses that I have seen so far.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:12 am Reply with quote
DTM108 wrote:
We all know it could be better and are just pretending to make ourselves feel good.

pikrodafni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:12 am Reply with quote
DTM108 wrote:
It’s very unfortunate to see not many people criticizing the CGI in this first episode and instead pretending that it’s well executed. I’ll say it, it looks like shit. Compare it to Levi vs. the Beast Titan in Season 3 (many other examples I could give)

I really don't see the problem, it was such well executed CGI it took me a while to realize it was CGI at all.Also how about you bring up the monstrosity that was the Colossal Titan in the previous season?
Dale B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:49 am Reply with quote
People aren't howling about the CG not being like the first 3 seasons because they know that Mappa got exactly one individual from Wit. This is a new team starting from square one. If you sit down and actually watch, you can see the quality of the CG in season 1 change over time, and it continued to refine through the end of season 3. Heck, you can see it in the opening sequence; the beauty shots of Annie and Mikasa swinging wildly through the CG city streets is far better integrated than the mid range 'scamper around the Titan and watch the changing perspective and shadows reveal any sin' right after it.

Mappa is using a different color palette, and that makes some things pop more than they used to, and other things that popped not so apparent. The Titans do look different, less 'other' than before. But the detail they are putting in is amazing. Check out Gaby's little stunt; when she 'falls down', they actually took the time to shade the soles of her feet dirty. That wouldn't be mentionable, save for the fact that anime characters have been running barefoot over everything possible with nary a scratch or smudge. They also supplied nice detail on the military hardware, and if they continue that level of thought throughout, we should see an increase in the CG quality, just as we did with Wit Studios.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:51 am Reply with quote
Many thanks to James for reminding me of the background to this final season. I haven't started reading the manga yet, and I've only ever watched each season once as they came out, so needless to say, a refresher was very much neeeded.

I am confused on one point though... why are some of the Warriors vying to become the next Armored Titan when the current one still exists?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:46 am Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
Isn't the picture of the Armoured Titan in the review 2d or is it just well blended 3(? Looked 2d to me.
I'm sure it is 2D, unless it was touched up in Photoshop to look 2D.People may just assume that it is 3D.
DTM108 wrote:
It’s very unfortunate to see not many people criticizing the CGI in this first episode and instead pretending that it’s well executed. I’ll say it, it looks like shit. Compare it to Levi vs. the Beast Titan in Season 3 (many other examples I could give) and tell me that I’m wrong. And it’s the first episode of the new season with a new studio!? That’s time to bring your A-game. That was a cheap knockoff of the quality of past seasons. We all know it could be better and are just pretending to make ourselves feel good.
Seems perfectly fine to me, I mean the CG is no better or worse than anything from the previews seasons. And nothing about the animation or art seemed wrong, if I was to try and find something bad, Wit may have had some visual flourishes that are missing here, but that's just a nitpick.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:16 am Reply with quote
This was revealed in the previous season so it isn't a spoiler, but remember that Titan Shifters have a short time to live. Therefore, in order to maintain the power of the Armored Titan, it stands to reason they would need a designated successor. Another example, seen in this episode, was Colt being mentioned as the Beast Titan's successor.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:56 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
This was revealed in the previous season so it isn't a spoiler, but remember that Titan Shifters have a short time to live. Therefore, in order to maintain the power of the Armored Titan, it stands to reason they would need a designated successor. Another example, seen in this episode, was Colt being mentioned as the Beast Titan's successor.

That's makes sense, thank you! I thought maybe I was missing something.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well there will be a couple of AoT re-fresher episodes coming up that'll bring you back up to speed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
I am very satisfied with the first episode and didn't find anything wrong with the visuals and animation. MAPPA is a top notch studio and trust them to do a great job.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Visuals in episode look fine to me.

Very few anime have matched the visual impressiveness of AOT with its dynamic angles and distinct art style.

I think what MAPPA accomplished with this first episode is fine, and we'll see how well the quality holds up as the season progresses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 23