• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Talentless Nana

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:10 am Reply with quote
I liked the zombie arc, and I liked that Nana is finally starting to question her circumstances—seeing too many dead bodies than one expects should do that. Her questioning whether she might have spared Yuka if she had been innocent was good, too, even if Yuka’s guilt allowed the show to sidestep the question for now.

But I was disappointed in how quickly Nana dispatched Huba. She was a poison user; using poison to kill her should have been an obvious mistake. I guess the series didn’t want to deal with two botched attempted murders (the first being Kyoya) and just wanted to rush to Huba’s friend (eye violence! As a contact lens wearer, ouch!) and Kyoya’s deductions, which was entertaining, gotta admit.

So, is this the second or third time Michiru tried to bring someone back from the dead at great risk to herself? Curious what the story behind that impulse is.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Fun Facts: "Habu" is not only the name of an Okinawan viper of particularly-venomous secretion, it is also the nickname of the American SR-71 strategic-reconnaissance aircraft (the locals on Okinawa where the SR-71s were based saw a resemblance) -- and Habu was doing some intel-gathering....
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Kyoya's theory that Nana could have cut Habu's finger off and unlocked the phone with it probably wouldn't work because a dead persons fingerprint very quickly becomes unrecognizable by phones and such because of oils and stuff we ooze out from our hands only when were alive
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9: spoiler[Definitely the most interesting episode so far. I wasn't expecting anything that happened and the twists got me twice, first that Michiru was actually onto Nana(which turned out to be Jin), and second that Jin wasn't killed by poison at the end(which got me because I honestly thought "Yeah, this show -would- kill off this guy right after being introduced" but then curve-balled me. I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to the next one. ]
Violet Park

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
The best episode so far. Jin is a delight in both design (love the catlike eyes!) and personality and it helps that his schemes are less crazy than Nana's while showing how smart he is since he plays Nana like a fiddle the entire episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:44 am Reply with quote
I don't have a cell phone, so maybe someone can explain to me how a melting finger would equate to pressing a button. Is the blue bar the Send button or is it below that? It looked like the finger was already touching the phone the way she had it tied down.

Also, is there no way to just write a text and schedule when it's automatically sent? You can do that with email, so I'd think smart phones would have such a feature.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't have a cell phone, so maybe someone can explain to me how a melting finger would equate to pressing a button. Is the blue bar the Send button or is it below that? It looked like the finger was already touching the phone the way she had it tied down.

Also, is there no way to just write a text and schedule when it's automatically sent? You can do that with email, so I'd think smart phones would have such a feature.

When the finger melted the button was released and thus the button press completed.
Most instant messaging apps won't let you schedule messages because they're instant messaging apps.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:41 am Reply with quote
Ah, ok. I think. Smile Thanks.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm a little disappointed the show immediately equivocates and has Nana detail the myriad parts of the plan that could have gone wrong.

Nana admitted that her plan was successful thanks to luck. It seems good to me, because she did not feel good about this situation unlike other times, almost never the protagonists admit when they are saved by luck and not by their own abilities.
scowler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
His motives aren't super airtight, or even explained all that well, beyond the obvious factor that this arrangement is much better for the longevity of the series. Contrivance is king in Talentless Nana, after all.

That's a little unfair. Jin is still clearly trying to gather more information, as demonstrated by the way he was fascinated by Nana's phone. He wants to know why Nana is on the island, and who put her there, etc.

Quote:
I also had to laugh at the bald-faced (yet totally believable) incompetence of a cop “accidentally” telling a ten-year-old to her face that she's responsible for her parents' deaths.

How are you spoiler[so sure it was "accidental"?]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if Jin gave Nana her phone back after that second sob story, the smug little cat.

Meanwhile poor Nana, she's gone and grown feelings for her little sheepdog, the silly girl. Watch Michiru die saving Nana so Nana doesn't even need to kill her, that'd be top yuetsu. Michiru's definitely used her power before coming to the island, so she's probably way lower on life force than she looks.

And I can't help but wonder if Kyoya is somehow Nana's older brother, especially with the Nana-lookalike corpse from before. The mysteries continue and I'm all for them.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Jin wants more information because he knows the government is doing some shady stuff and he thinks Nana could be the key. And after the civil war and given that he knows Nana isn't an irredeemable monster he won't kill her unless it's necessary.

Nana's parents were researching the talents. Depending on their ideas they could have been killed either by talents opposing the government (which I doubt because why killing some researchers instead of telling the truth to anyone who would listen?) or they realized what the government was doing, weren't fine with it and the government decided to get rid of them.

It would be ironic if the rest of the class were to suspect Nana the one time she is innocent. Also, the show has a really bad habit of not introducing characters until they are necessary for the plot. I should be shocked there's another killer on the loose, not wondering "why, am I supposed to know who those new characters are?"
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:
It would be ironic if the rest of the class were to suspect Nana the one time she is innocent. Also, the show has a really bad habit of not introducing characters until they are necessary for the plot. I should be shocked there's another killer on the loose, not wondering "why, am I supposed to know who those new characters are?"

And we already know who it was, since the camera and the preview were anything but subtle. The only characters we know about right now are the Ice&Fire guys, Kyouya, Michiru and Nana. We know that the ice guy has a girlfriend, and we know what she looks like. But that's about it. It's a bit frustrating.
At least the necromancer and the gyarus this get some lines in before their episodes (although the latter were offed so quickly that their personalities and whatnot were irrelevant).
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah so the twist is that she murders people. Haven’t seen the series yet. Thanks ANN.

(I was mostly waiting for a dub before watching this, it wasn’t seriously on my radar or anything but geeze)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Ah so the twist is that she murders people. Haven’t seen the series yet. Thanks ANN.

(I was mostly waiting for a dub before watching this, it wasn’t seriously on my radar or anything but geeze)

I've been annoyed at ANN spoiling stuff about episodes that haven't even aired yet, but you can't really expect a news site with a seasonal review section to not talk about a popular show at all three months after it started.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12