• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so the demon king does actually want to kill the hero, but only after he reaches the castle and only after he powers up. In other series I'd presume he's going to be some kind of sacrifice, but with this series, who knows
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:52 am Reply with quote
While I've found parts of this funny, I've been slow to warm up to this series. But I've gotta admit, her woolly undies and the bears trying to soothe the Demon Lord were charming as all get out. Fuwafuwa...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
This adaptation is throwing me for a loop with how close to the original is. I had forgotten just how much stuff was retconned in the manga as it solidified its cast
spoiler[Like the council of elders in the second or so episode being anyone but the current council of elders, or the mecha-building engineering person being this wizened lizardman instead of the antisocial man we met way later]
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:05 am Reply with quote
I like the manga when I first picked it up. The story was funny and decent. Something new story wise. I have found the anime to be a well adapted version of the original story. This anime has proven funny to watch! I do not do much analysis on anime’s just try and enjoy the stories.I let the reviewers do the analysis!
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
So as an anime only I'm getting some conflicting plot info after episode 8 and I'm hoping someone can clear it up.

spoiler[It was mentioned before that the Demon King wanted to have Dawner make it to the castle and then defeat him 1 on 1. Dunno why yet, but that's fine. It's a mystery that's yet to be explored.

What I don't get is, wasn't the big 10 in on this plan? I thought they were meant to be jobbers who just kinda fight the Hero and let him win. But this episode Fire Venom Dragon seems to go all out to win and everyone consoles him when he loses.

Also, not sure I get the Demon Cleric's actions. In act 1 he seemed enraged that Syalis was engaged and wanted Dawner dead, but in act 3 we see that he sabotaged Venom Dragon with a bomb. Was this just a throwaway "gave into temptation" joke or is he like the only one in on the "Let Dawner get to the Demon King" plan while the other big 10 aren't?]

Otherwise fun episode, Syalis not caring enough to remember her fiance's name is on point for her.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
So as an anime only I'm getting some conflicting plot info after episode 8 and I'm hoping someone can clear it up.

spoiler[It was mentioned before that the Demon King wanted to have Dawner make it to the castle and then defeat him 1 on 1. Dunno why yet, but that's fine. It's a mystery that's yet to be explored.

What I don't get is, wasn't the big 10 in on this plan? I thought they were meant to be jobbers who just kinda fight the Hero and let him win. But this episode Fire Venom Dragon seems to go all out to win and everyone consoles him when he loses.

Also, not sure I get the Demon Cleric's actions. In act 1 he seemed enraged that Syalis was engaged and wanted Dawner dead, but in act 3 we see that he sabotaged Venom Dragon with a bomb. Was this just a throwaway "gave into temptation" joke or is he like the only one in on the "Let Dawner get to the Demon King" plan while the other big 10 aren't?]

Otherwise fun episode, Syalis not caring enough to remember her fiance's name is on point for her.

I though the bomb was an attempt at getting rid of D-whatsis (and if Venom die along, oh well, he can just resurrect him). And I think they're trying to really fight the hero as a way to power him up hence why they go all out. My guess is they want him to be as strong as possible so that when the demon king defeat him it demoralize human and they'll accept monster as equal, so the hero as to be really strong for this to work.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:

I though the bomb was an attempt at getting rid of D-whatsis (and if Venom die along, oh well, he can just resurrect him). And I think they're trying to really fight the hero as a way to power him up hence why they go all out. My guess is they want him to be as strong as possible so that when the demon king defeat him it demoralize human and they'll accept monster as equal, so the hero as to be really strong for this to work.

Yep, they didn't translate this well (unfortunately too common occurrence), Demon Cleric wanted to get rid of the hero with the bomb, Venom Dragon was just acceptable casualty too him Smile
stefand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:56 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

My guess is they want him to be as strong as possible so that when the demon king defeat him it demoralize human and they'll accept monster as equal, so the hero as to be really strong for this to work.

I haven't read all the manga published to date, but somehow i got the feeling it's more like everyone has to do his/her job. The demons have to do evil deeds like capture the princess, the hero has to rescue her, and the demons have to put obstacles in his way.
In the end, the hero rescuing the princess is something that is supposed to happen.
Well, OK, but the princess is not as she is supposed to be, so everything might work out different.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
So they localized Succyun as Cubey? it's not very important, but it's pretty awkward.
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, to at least one demon, she's become something…more. Demon Cleric was definitely showing signs of becoming just a little more interested in Syalis than he perhaps ought to be last week, and that's basically confirmed in this episode.

Quick question, is this meant as the Demon Cleric might be showing romantic interest in her, or that he's acting like an overprotective dad/brother figure? I kind of read it as the latter, because Syalis seems much younger than any of the demons to me. Then again, it's anime, so maybe she's older than she looks, but I imagined her to be no older than 14/15 or so.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
JadeDahlia wrote:

Quick question, is this meant as the Demon Cleric might be showing romantic interest in her, or that he's acting like an overprotective dad/brother figure? I kind of read it as the latter, because Syalis seems much younger than any of the demons to me. Then again, it's anime, so maybe she's older than she looks, but I imagined her to be no older than 14/15 or so.

I think in the anime it's a bit more open to discussion than in the manga. spoiler[In the manga he's definitely romantically interested in her. But a lot of what makes that clear has either been left out or we haven't gotten there yet.] I think Syalis is in the 16-18 age range, but I could just be making that up.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I have no intention of reading the manga but this is my 2nd favorite series so far this season. It's pretty funny most of the time.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
While the review points out that the demon cleric's, uh, "interest" in the princess is starting to show, I think the anime tones this down considerably, making it appear more as a concern for the Princess' well-being. I mean would an overprotective grandpa allow his granddaughter to marry an unreliable guy like Dawner? Nope, over his undead body.

This is probably partly because spoiler[the development of their relationship took dozens of chapters in the manga until a satisfying status quo or some form of "closure" to it is seen, which the anime simply doesn't have the episode count to develop.] Sadly this means the hilarious "misunderstanding" chapters such as the events that lead to a certain pajama party, are all left out.

As to how old the princess is, I've seen some claims around that she's likely in her early 20s already. Apparently it was revealed somewhere (unfortunately I can't find a source) that Dawner is 23, so being his childhood "friend", the princess can't be too far in age. Also, it is not shown clearly in the anime, but the demons are said to be a lot taller than the humans (most of the cast are over 6 feet in height, and Syalis herself is 5 feet tall), so that may add to the perception that Syalis is a child.

In any case, I've unexpectedly fallen hard for this series, and it's really the only show I've been looking forward to every week, which, in a season with stuff more right my alley like Moriarty, Golden Kamuy and Jujutsu Kaisen, is saying a lot.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The ending reminded me of when I trained my cat to sit down and the rest of his life he would politely sit down when he wanted something
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:49 am Reply with quote
Interesting to learn that despite the fantasy setting, if what the shopping channel hosts said was true and not just marketing nonsense, then they've got more advanced tech than we have Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5