• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Talentless Nana

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Ah so the twist is that she murders people. Haven’t seen the series yet. Thanks ANN.

(I was mostly waiting for a dub before watching this, it wasn’t seriously on my radar or anything but geeze)
Nah it's like AssClass, just because she's good at killing people doesn't mean she does kill people.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
And these are episode reviews, of course it is gonna talk about the content of the episodes.
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Cain Highwind wrote:
Ah so the twist is that she murders people. Haven’t seen the series yet. Thanks ANN.

(I was mostly waiting for a dub before watching this, it wasn’t seriously on my radar or anything but geeze)

I've been annoyed at ANN spoiling stuff about episodes that haven't even aired yet, but you can't really expect a news site with a seasonal review section to not talk about a popular show at all three months after it started.

Cryten wrote:
And these are episode reviews, of course it is gonna talk about the content of the episodes.

While I would normally agree with these sentiments, this spoiler is in the blurb on the front page of the site, right out in the open before clicking on the episode review, and that is likely what Cain Highwind is referring to. It's not unreasonable to be frustrated about that.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
While I would normally agree with these sentiments, this spoiler is in the blurb on the front page of the site, right out in the open before clicking on the episode review, and that is likely what Cain Highwind is referring to. It's not unreasonable to be frustrated about that.

Stuff like that has happened to me before but, like, my fault for reading further knowing that it might spoil me something. It's not reasonable to expect every pic and every blurb of every episode review to be completely spoiler free. Moreso when it's the central theme of the series and the gig was up on the first episode.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Cain Highwind wrote:

I've been annoyed at ANN spoiling stuff about episodes that haven't even aired yet, but you can't really expect a news site with a seasonal review section to not talk about a popular show at all three months after it started.

Cryten wrote:

This is also the case in RSS feeds, where it may not be so obvious what you're about to look at before seeing the screenshot and the summary blurb. In my case, I start at the bottom of the articles retrieved from the feeds and hit a key on the keyboard to get to the next article up, which is just offscreen. Or swipe in the app, where the next article isn't obvious at all.

It would be nice if spoilers weren't in the blurb or screenshot for that reason. I usually keep up with current shows I care about, but there are some exceptions. Not so much right now, but before the pandemic when Funimation released many dubs on a two week delay, I would choose to wait for the dub. Seeing a spoiler wasn't that common an occurrence, but it did happen sometimes.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Violet Park wrote:
It would be ironic if the rest of the class were to suspect Nana the one time she is innocent. Also, the show has a really bad habit of not introducing characters until they are necessary for the plot. I should be shocked there's another killer on the loose, not wondering "why, am I supposed to know who those new characters are?"

And we already know who it was, since the camera and the preview were anything but subtle. The only characters we know about right now are the Ice&Fire guys, Kyouya, Michiru and Nana. We know that the ice guy has a girlfriend, and we know what she looks like. But that's about it. It's a bit frustrating.
At least the necromancer and the gyarus this get some lines in before their episodes (although the latter were offed so quickly that their personalities and whatnot were irrelevant).

Yeahhhh, that's a thing this show keeps doing that's a little annoying; we get these packed room shots(like the funeral the other week) full of absolute randos, and then a character from the OP who's presumably been here the whole time makes their first real appearance, typically center shot. spoiler[And who then appears alone in the preview shot 30 seconds later, with the episode title "Air Knife". Gee, I wonder who the murderer is and how they did it???]
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
Well at least it was only an episode 1 spoiler. I've had crucial pivotal points spoiled from those blurbs sometimes. But I sympathise with that annoyed outraged feel you get when something fun is taken from your future. At the start of the season I allready had the twist of ep 1 mostly spoiler because of all the reviews going: "Oh that was a fun twist, concerning the title of the series *waggle eyebrows*".
Violet Park

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:55 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Violet Park wrote:
It would be ironic if the rest of the class were to suspect Nana the one time she is innocent. Also, the show has a really bad habit of not introducing characters until they are necessary for the plot. I should be shocked there's another killer on the loose, not wondering "why, am I supposed to know who those new characters are?"

And we already know who it was, since the camera and the preview were anything but subtle. The only characters we know about right now are the Ice&Fire guys, Kyouya, Michiru and Nana. We know that the ice guy has a girlfriend, and we know what she looks like. But that's about it. It's a bit frustrating.
At least the necromancer and the gyarus this get some lines in before their episodes (although the latter were offed so quickly that their personalities and whatnot were irrelevant).

Yeahhhh, that's a thing this show keeps doing that's a little annoying; we get these packed room shots(like the funeral the other week) full of absolute randos, and then a character from the OP who's presumably been here the whole time makes their first real appearance, typically center shot. spoiler[And who then appears alone in the preview shot 30 seconds later, with the episode title "Air Knife". Gee, I wonder who the murderer is and how they did it???]

To be fair, there's a chance this is the same as the necromancer episode where the preview made us think it would be Michiru, then introduced the corpse looking dude but the actual necromancer turned out to be someone else. I have no doubt this girl is innocent since everything points to her but all of this would have more impact if we have been introduced to her and the victim earlier. For example, why is she there? Is she the guy's girlfriend or there's another reason?
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:14 am Reply with quote
Nana blames herself for the death of her parents and does not blame the talented which shows that is a conscientious character and he really has no desire for revenge I like this alternative of motivation very unlike these male protagonist of those silly "grimdark" fantasies like goblin slayer or shield hero.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:
For example, why is she there? Is she the guy's girlfriend or there's another reason?

I'm sure we'll find out on next week's infodump.
I feel like this series builds its episodes/arcs as if it were a mystery novel series in the way it sets the table by introducing characters, stage and clues in an orderly and deliberate way. But that's at odds with the isolated setting where nobody gets in or out and everyone knows everyone else, so the execution feels pretty stilted in that regard.

Anneyuno1 wrote:
Nana blames herself for the death of her parents and does not blame the talented which shows that is a conscientious character and he really has no desire for revenge I like this alternative of motivation very unlike these male protagonist of those silly "grimdark" fantasies like goblin slayer or shield hero.

I'm not so sure about it. She still dresses her killing spree as a holy crusade. Even if her revenge might not be as straightforward as usual, there's no way that the two aren't related (besides, even if she considers it her fault, in the end whoever chopped up her parents wasn't her... or was it?)
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I think it might still be too early to take Nana's self narrated back story at face value, being her we are talking about it may have been a meticulously fabricated story in order to mislead Jin later on.

this latest episode made me realise 2 possible factors that might spice the development later on. now that we have an unknown killer this might put on doubt Nana's ability to read minds, since as far as everyone is concerned she could just do that and discover the killer and be done with it. the second is that Jin could transform into anyone and kill someone around witnesses just to frame them, perhaps maybe into Nana too, this could go either way, he could use this to threaten her or as a bargaining piece she could use to help clear the suspicion around her
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:50 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
now that we have an unknown killer this might put on doubt Nana's ability to read minds, since as far as everyone is concerned she could just do that and discover the killer and be done with it.

Not necessarily. Nana herself has clarified to others that her ability has a random factor to it that she doesn't have very precise control over. She can't parse out specific thoughts out of others at will.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We all know Nana can pull off a murder (and how!), but can she solve one?

Well, sure, as the old joke goes, "just open up the WikiHow for 'how to pull off a murder' and then do the steps in reverse order."
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nana's development (and/or redemption).

Redemption........No such thing for Nana.

She simply has too much blood on her hands. That is not to say, she can't turn toward the light, but simply she has to die for her crimes. The afterlife can judge her soul, balancing her past and her actions, but for the real world, she is a bloody villain who cannot be allowed to live.

There is a difference between murderers and Nana. And it is the weight of their actions and the scale of their victims.

Who knows where the writers are going to go, but Nana has to have denouncement, and then die. Hopefully, it is dying while trying to right all the evil things she has done. But that is not redemption, but rather ending on a good note.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:13 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:
Nana's development (and/or redemption).

Redemption........No such thing for Nana.

She simply has too much blood on her hands. That is not to say, she can't turn toward the light, but simply she has to die for her crimes. The afterlife can judge her soul, balancing her past and her actions, but for the real world, she is a bloody villain who cannot be allowed to live.

There is a difference between murderers and Nana. And it is the weight of their actions and the scale of their victims.

Who knows where the writers are going to go, but Nana has to have denouncement, and then die. Hopefully, it is dying while trying to right all the evil things she has done. But that is not redemption, but rather ending on a good note.
this was very poetic and all but where did you get all that? As far as the series has told us she is an agent for the government following explicit orders, it makes for interesting writing to see how she is feeling conflicted about killing some of these children but from the world setting perspective she will only be seen as a hero and is expected to get a medal and a paycheck from this (unless the series decides to go the "no loose ends" route, after her mission but so far that's just a possibility). We as the viewer can of course judge her under our own morals but as far as the setting goes she is just a soldier doing the dirty job some one had to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12