• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Negotiating to Acquire Geneon Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Well, I have to say that I hope that some of the titles picked up will be some of the partially released ones. Like: Kyo Kara Maoh!, Shonen Onmyouji and The Story of Saiunkoku. Why those? Because I own them and I want to see the end of the darn series!

ME TOO! Like, I'd like Black Lagoon and Hellsing to be picked up as well, but both of those were at decent stopping points, so I wouldn't be too bent out of shape if those take a little longer.

Shounen Onmyouji, Saiunkoku, KKM, and Rozen Maiden were all smack in the middle or the early stages. Plus I have half filled art boxes for ALL of those series, and it's maddening.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
As long as they don't screw up the video quality, I don't care what they get.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
So this is still going on? Glad to hear some news on this. I'd be curious to see what they acquire. We know that 'BL:SB' will more than likely be a go.

I wish they would hurry, my 'BL' DVDs are getting lonely without it's other half.

Good news to hear.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Most likely they would go after the cream of the crop such as Black Lagoon and Helsing Ultimate. I'm not so sure of niche titles like Rozen Maiden, I guess it would depend on how well season 1 sold. They probably would like to get a hold of the Tenchi titles (can anyone say "Ultimate Tenchi set"?), and I think Sailor Moon would depend on if they can get Sailor Stars from Toei. I think Geneon still held the rights to S and Super S at the time they shut down. I for one would like the opportunity to get a new DVD release of Sailor Moon since I missed the opportunity to grab the first two seasons - they were out of print by the time I started collecting.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not hyped until we know what tiles they acquired. Nor will I celebrate. well this IS a good sign of the times.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I wish they'd bring back CCS so I don't have to pay $300 for the completle collection. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
stormcrow22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
That is definitely good news. I agree with the others; it would be nice to get Black Lagoon Second Barrage to finish the series. Also, I wouldnt mind seeing the rest of Karin and Higurashi. Let's go Funimation!
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I wish they'd bring back CCS so I don't have to pay $300 for the completle collection. Confused

Too bad you missed the CCS super sale TRSI had last year. They bundled the entire series for just $79.99, which is when I snatched it. Even with no dub, this is truly one of my all time favorites!
billyarnie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
I'm not hyped until we know what tiles they acquired. Nor will I celebrate. well this IS a good sign of the times.

Cautious Optimism is Always Good... you're right, it also depends on which titles they get & whether they just get titles in suspense or some of Geneon's older titles as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
feytaline wrote:
Even though this is still just ... cake ... being dangled in the air, to hear that it's even being DISCUSSED is a major step forward.

You're trying to make me crack a portal joke, arn't you?

Still, glad to see that chances of geting black lagoon on dvd are still alive...

damnit.
zebbox

i hope they take karin, Rozen maiden, When they cry, fate stay night and many new other geneon titles i never get my hand on :D
rinmackie

If they get Hellsing Ultimate, I hope they keep the same English voice actors. I can't imagine anyone besides Crispin Freeman as Alucard. You listening, Funi? Confused
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
come on 1st and 2nd seasons of Higurashi.
Roguespider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
ya i hope i get to watch there rest of black lagoon and the story of saiunkoku and maybe the second series to but knowing my luck it wont happen Anime cry

While I can't say much about the 2nd season of Saiunkoku, I wouldn't count out Funi to pick up the first. With Funi's license of Ouran High School Host Club, I could see them picking up Saiunkoku.

As for the other properties, I definitely see them picking up Hellsing at the very least and possibly Black Lagoon. Funimation anymore has been trying to get the bigger titles they can, which helps them with sales. So with how big Hellsing and Black Lagoon our, I've been expecting them to pick this up since the fall of Geneon.

JaxsonJaguar wrote:
This explains why Funimation opened up shop in L.A. according to Laura Bailey. Honestly though I'm pulling for Bandai to get Hellsing.

I assume your saying this based on Funi's dub record (which as of late has been up and down). I don't think we have to worry about the dub of Hellsing, Funimation has shown its dedication with fans in dubbing FMP! 2nd Raid as well as Tenchi 3rd OVA, in which they brought back all or most of the dub cast that they could. Crispin Freeman is a great VA and shows dedication to his roles. If Funi does get Hellsing, I don't think the dub cast will change.

As for Tenchi, I'm divided on this. I love Tenchi and it would be great to get an Ultimate Boxset (though I'd love the wooden one they already released in Japan). But after I went out and brought the Complete Collections of Universe, Tokyo, and Movies, I'd be worried if Funi re-released them in better nicer boxes (cause I'd want to re-buy them).

With all the titles mentioned, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fushigi Yuugi. Just barely newer than the old Tenchi's and with the time period similarity to Saiunkoku, I think this would be a great release for Funi. Geneon recently released individual DVDs, and the only box sets released were the $100-200 ones that are above the modern anime fan's budget (though I do happen to own them Very Happy ). But whatever titles they are, I look forward to hearing what they are.

-Roguespider
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

True, but since I have six open titles with them, odds are good if they are successful in getting some Geneon titles, ONE of them has to be mine! Smile (I hope... please...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9