• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isekai Meikyū de Harem o Light Novels Listed With TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgun97

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:01 am Reply with quote
Been reading the LN and manga somewhat simultaneously. The manga is much faster paced and if they choose to animate more from that then yeah things will be censored. BDs is where it’s at for this one bois. Story is mostly generic, guy gets isekai’d into fantasy world and gets somewhat OP abilities yada yada. The only difference is the MC doesn’t hide his intentions, he flat outs tries to get a slave harem. Upon seeing the girl on the cover and finding out he can buy her as a slave he takes that opportunity and grinds some money so he can buy her.

But yeah from what I’ve read so far it’s alright. From the title itself you see “isekai” and “harem” so you could already tell what type of story this is.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
topgun97 wrote:
Been reading the LN and manga somewhat simultaneously. The manga is much faster paced

I would not be surprised if the anime is even faster, cutting all about "switching" professions and leaving it at him having a bag of holding, a warp ability and maybe "reading" his underlings stats like Hestia does in Danmachi.
Gamen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this one's going to get some very legitimate complaints with respect to how it treats slavery and women: putting it succinctly, the protagonist actively seeks out enslaved women to purchase for companionship and pressures them into sex the first night, and while he does treat them exceptionally well by their standards the relationship is still one of an owner and his beloved pets. If you had problems with Nekopara....

There's no excuses like "he's just looking for a place where they won't be discriminated against and re-enslaved" or "it's only until he breaks their curse" or "it's more like he adopted her" or "it's the secret behind our superpowers" or "it will bind them together forever so their reincarnations will end up together too".... he's completely unapologetic and faces basically no criticism.

And you can't ignore that a major motive - a driving force - underlying the women reciprocating his affection is that their alternatives are worse... not reciprocating doesn't end in a break-up with them going their separate ways; it results in them being sold off into a likely more abusive and exploitative owner. So yeah.

I mean, I like the story and already have book 11 on pre-order, but part of that is because I find it fun to analyze how wrong it is. Razz

..I don't know, is that too spoilery? Is this story even worth not spoiling?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:22 pm Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:
OK OK OK!!! Now we are talking about!!! Now the only one that we still need an anime is Parallel Paridise! LETS GO BOYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I have read the first two manga for this one and - yeah. No toxic messages there. Don't see how it could be animated for TV, though the fact that the manga-ka has had two previous anime adaptations done on his work (Elfen Lied and Brynhildr in the Darkness) means it's still possible.

(Short version: In the world where the MC has isekai'd to, women die at age 20 if they don't have sex with a man, and he's the only man around. Further, the women have been genetically tweaked to have uncontrollable sexual urges towards men and spoiler[the only male humanoids present fatally poison a women with their seed if they rape the woman.] IOW, the whole world was designed by someone pissed at women for once being rejected by one.)

As for the title this thread is about, sounds trashy but could be fun to review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
this is the reason because the isekai is so infamous, a shame considering that lately they took out more comfy and varied series such as the bakarina, kuma bear and the witch slime slayer Mad
They should adapt "hakai me no yuuri", an isekai where the protagonist becomes a masochistic slave Twisted Evil
topgun97

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:
Yeah, this one's going to get some very legitimate complaints with respect to how it treats slavery and women: putting it succinctly, the protagonist actively seeks out enslaved women to purchase for companionship and pressures them into sex the first night, and while he does treat them exceptionally well by their standards the relationship is still one of an owner and his beloved pets. If you had problems with Nekopara....

There's no excuses like "he's just looking for a place where they won't be discriminated against and re-enslaved" or "it's only until he breaks their curse" or "it's more like he adopted her" or "it's the secret behind our superpowers" or "it will bind them together forever so their reincarnations will end up together too".... he's completely unapologetic and faces basically no criticism.

And you can't ignore that a major motive - a driving force - underlying the women reciprocating his affection is that their alternatives are worse... not reciprocating doesn't end in a break-up with them going their separate ways; it results in them being sold off into a likely more abusive and exploitative owner. So yeah.

I mean, I like the story and already have book 11 on pre-order, but part of that is because I find it fun to analyze how wrong it is. Razz

I mean.... think about it from his perspective. He get's transported into a different world where the laws are completely different and slavery is normal. He's one guy, you think he's going to change the world and demolish slavery? Not really possible imo. Also, he quickly finds out how slaves get treated, especially female slaves. Him buying slaves and not treating them like garbage but still having sex with them is hell of a lot better than leaving those girls to other masters who will do much worse. Even if he bought them and freed them afterwards, what are they going to do? They would probably get captured by bandits or random douchebags and get re-enslaved again by even worse masters. Lesser of two evils you see what I'm saying. I would probably do the same thing if I was in his position, but I would wait a bit longer before having sex.

Also damn they have 11 volumes out already. Can definitely see why this got an anime adaptation. You got a web novel, then a light novel and soon after a manga adaption that's got to 11 volumes. It definitely has some popularity to it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As for the title this thread is about, sounds trashy but could be fun to review.

i read the manga and my favorite part was that its named harem yet it spends over two years ( irl) having only one girl.
other wise its a mix of super generic isekai tropes and what could be good fanservice if they do their job well. or they could rush thru the best stuff in the ln and compose a decent series ( and die trying)
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Key wrote:

i read the manga and my favorite part was that its named harem yet it spends over two years ( irl) having only one girl.

Thats because the manga is released bi-monthly IIRC and each chapter (or part of the chapter) only has between 10 -20 pages if you don't include the extra stuff not to mention the actual pacing. Compared to the novels the manga has only just gotten off the ground
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
topgun97 wrote:
I would probably do the same thing if I was in his position, but I would wait a bit longer before having sex.

Before raping them, you mean. Slaves cannot meaningfully consent to sex with their owners, so any sex between owner and slave is rape.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
"The women will have sex with me because they know what'll happen if they don't."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUafzOXHPE&t=10s
Gamen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
topgun97 wrote:
Also damn they have 11 volumes out already. Can definitely see why this got an anime adaptation. You got a web novel, then a light novel and soon after a manga adaption that's got to 11 volumes. It definitely has some popularity to it.

No, the 11th volume for the novels; the comics are only up to 6 volumes.

As to everything else... just no. There's a middle ground between freeing them and abandoning them to their fate, and forcing them into bed with him.

ATastySub wrote:
"The women will have sex with me because they know what'll happen if they don't."

Pretty much. I mean he's never had to actually make threats, and he's apparently pretty good in bed and has overheard the women talk about him in complimentary terms amongst themselves, and they're probably genuinely as happy with the situation as they can be... On top of that this culture it seems to be accepted that consent can be given in advance to increase one's value and most (but not all!) of the women he owns had given this "prior consent" so technically had waived their rights in that regard... You know, all the little things that make it easier to swallow for the reader Razz

But yeah, basically that clip. He might not be saying it... but he doesn't need to, they've all already been indoctrinated by their own culture.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
topgun97 wrote:
Gamen wrote:

I mean.... think about it from his perspective. He get's transported into a different world where the laws are completely different and slavery is normal. He's one guy, you think he's going to change the world and demolish slavery? Not really possible imo. Also, he quickly finds out how slaves get treated, especially female slaves. Him buying slaves and not treating them like garbage but still having sex with them is hell of a lot better than leaving those girls to other masters who will do much worse. Even if he bought them and freed them afterwards, what are they going to do? They would probably get captured by bandits or random douchebags and get re-enslaved again by even worse masters. Lesser of two evils you see what I'm saying. I would probably do the same thing if I was in his position, but I would wait a bit longer before having sex.

I would try to find an abolition group or a revolutionary group and help them change the awful system with my overpower magic sword and the cheats I got when entering the world. This is one of the reasons why I don't like these type of stories, the world usually doesn't have anyone fighting against the system until the main character appear. It make the world feel flat and boring. I just want one Slave Isekai with an abolition faction that been there before the main character got there.
Anyway, I read some of the manga. It was pretty ok, I think my favorite part of the manga was Michio and Roxanne wearing matching cute helmets. If Naofumi and Raphtalia was wearing those helmets, I probably wouldn't drop Shield Hero LOL!
topgun97

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:
topgun97 wrote:

No, the 11th volume for the novels; the comics are only up to 6 volumes.

As to everything else... just no. There's a middle ground between freeing them and abandoning them to their fate, and forcing them into bed with him.

ATastySub wrote:

Pretty much. I mean he's never had to actually make threats, and he's apparently pretty good in bed and has overheard the women talk about him in complimentary terms amongst themselves, and they're probably genuinely as happy with the situation as they can be... On top of that this culture it seems to be accepted that consent can be given in advance to increase one's value and most (but not all!) of the women he owns had given this "prior consent" so technically had waived their rights in that regard... You know, all the little things that make it easier to swallow for the reader Razz

But yeah, basically that clip. He might not be saying it... but he doesn't need to, they've all already been indoctrinated by their own culture.

How did you get all 11 volumes of the LN? I don't think they are currently licensed so I assume you got the Japanese version.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:43 pm Reply with quote
topgun97 wrote:

I would try to find an abolition group or a revolutionary group and help them change the awful system with my overpower magic sword and the cheats I got when entering the world. This is one of the reasons why I don't like these type of stories, the world usually doesn't have anyone fighting against the system until the main character appear. It make the world feel flat and boring. I just want one Slave Isekai with an abolition faction that been there before the main character got there.
Anyway, I read some of the manga. It was pretty ok, I think my favorite part of the manga was Michio and Roxanne wearing matching cute helmets. If Naofumi and Raphtalia was wearing those helmets, I probably wouldn't drop Shield Hero LOL!

I feel that slavery is too integrated into the world's economy and lifestyle to change it. It will be a long process. Let's look at our history for example. For thousands of years we had different forms of slavery, and pretty much no one, no group advocated for the abolishment of slavery as a whole. Histories greatest minds, our greatest philosophers, thinkers, not one came out and said "Hey, slavery is bad. It's a gross moral evil and we need to get rid of it." for a long long time. Why is that? Was everyone a racist? Were they all stupid, evil barbarians? When we see movies like "12 years a slave" or read about the atrocities slavery we feel disgusted, abhorred, and think how can people do this to others? So how come people like Aristotle, Plato, George Washington, and virtually every other philosopher or thinker prior to the 1600s didn't speak out against slavery.The advocation for the abolishment for slavery didn't really begin until around the late 1600s to 1700s and continues into 1800s. What took so long? Did no one have a heart or feelings for others before that point?

What I find really interesting is that the advocation against slavery practically coincides with the age of the Industrial Revolution. Our technology skyrocketed during this time. What's also interesting is that the places that were pro abolition in the US were the northern states that had a lot of the factories and thus started relying more on a machine-age economy compared to the South that still relied on slaves for its fields. The North saw that they don't really need slaves anymore since they had machines that can take care of most of the work and some wage workers.

Humanity couldn't fight against slavery because there was no alternative. Imagine a world where to move anything you needed animals or people. I dislike it when people look at history and paint it black and white. When talking about slavery or even the countless wars fought we need to take into account the world and how it functioned at the time. So yeah, the MC could fight against the system and attempt to change the world, but what's going to replacement the current system in said world? If we go back in time in our world and tell people in the past to fight against the "system", you're going to need a replacement for that system. People in the past didn't have cars, trains, machines that could move by themselves. Everything needed to be done by hand, or by person. Obviously people in the past knew slavery was harmful and it sucked being a slave but no one really thought about getting rid of it. That's what I find so interesting and peculiar. But it's not that far off from how we see the world. For example, we know cars and other vehicles and power plants release toxic gases into the atmosphere and over time it's going to screw us. It already is frankly. So now we need to get rid of cars, trains, nuclear power plants? Just like that? We can't comprehend living in a world without our modern technology, it's too engrained into our livelihood. So how do you think people in the past would feel if you told them "Just get rid of slavery, no biggie."? They probably couldn't imagine a functioning world or economy without slavery.

I think Aristotle summarized the situation quite well. "When the looms spin by themselves, we'll have no need for slaves,". - Aristotle.

Of course in Anime they have magic so that changes a lot of things. And no I'm not trying to promote slavery or trying to bring it back. I just get annoyed when I hear or see people go "Slavery! That's messed up. Humanity was really messed up in the past.". First off we're still messed up and a lot of problems so bleh, and second of all, slavery existed for so long for a reason. I'd like to learn more about that reason instead of looking at the past and painting it all as "Damn, people were messed up.".[/quote]
I too like to learn more about slavery, but this is about a manga that use slavery as flavor and doesn't go deep (as far I can see) with it. What I got from it, the slaves in that world are basically employees you have to give food, clothes, and shelter (paid taxes for) too. Also, if you mistreated them than they are taken away. Huh, are they really slaves at that point? It more like rising a kid, that you can sleep with (with zero downsides). That what I have a problem with, the author go out of there way to make slaving look simple and doesn't add anything interesting to it. It usually both parties cool with it, adding an abolition group would spice things up.
Anyway, I don't want to do a ton of research on there always have been people fighting for other freedom since forever and people in power usually doesn't want to change things to hold onto there power. I just was talking about what I would do if I was in that world and why I usually not a fan of these types of stories.
Gamen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote
topgun97 wrote:
How did you get all 11 volumes of the LN? I don't think they are currently licensed so I assume you got the Japanese version.

Gamen wrote:
I mean, I like the story and already have book 11 on pre-order

Was made available for pre-order a few days ago, comes out at the end of the month. And yes, I get and read the Japanese version; not only is there no licensed version, but last I checked the only active "translation" from some group is almost completely fabfricated; the TVTropes page says I quote "As of March 1, 2020, it has also recieved an officially published, licensed, and currently being translated, light-novel reboot."... but that's complete bullshit; there's no reboot and it's not licensed, it's just some scammer doing an MTL and inserting their own interpretation of the nonsense it generated and asking for money on Patreon to do it. Probably. At the least, the first few parts bore almost no relation to the Japanese other than some shared vocabulary.

As for the history bit... I like to keep in mind it's not just history. It's today, and it's widespread in many different forms. If you can't refuse to do something because to do so could have fatal consequences, you can't give your full consent... and a lot of people can't quit their jobs without risking starvation. But this is probably not the forum for me to discuss it further.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3