• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Negotiating to Acquire Geneon Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Finally! A bit of good news coming our way from the industry. Not just that Funi might snag some of Geneon's titles, but that it met profit expectations.

*cautiously optimistic*
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
What I find just as interesting is the claim that Funi's market share increased to 10%. That seems to contradict what Funi reps were claiming at 'cons last year, where they were citing well more than double that %.

Well, the article clarified that 10% was Geneon's share, not FUNi's.
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope they finish Karin and the Shakugan no Shana OVA with the *promised* series box.

Also I'll be praying they get Zero no Tsukaima.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
While it is great to hear that possibly some of my missing titles will come out.
I will be anxious to hear which ones actually do. Either way it is good to hear some positive news for a change.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Serge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
OMG! What excellent News! Now I hope that FUNimation picks up all Geneon Incomplete Titles, so everyone benefits, and whatever they release, the DVD's and artwork etc somewhat match.
Heretic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I know some people didn't like it, but if Black Lagoon does get picked up again I want a steel case for the Second Barrage as well.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
"downward pressure on pricing"

Yes please. Seriously, they complain and complain about people not buying their products. Riiiiiight.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It's about time to hear some good news in this industry. funimation is doing a lot better in the last few years than they have in the past. Glad to see that there doing well. Hope the best of luck they get the tittles everyone wants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
ALRIGHT! GO FUNI! I like to see how they're trying to help Geneon at the same time as helping themselves. lol This news makes me happy. I hope everything goes well and we can finish collecting all our incomplete series (for me it's Karin and Black Lagoon)
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Most likely they would go after the cream of the crop ... and I think Sailor Moon would depend on if they can get Sailor Stars from Toei. I think Geneon still held the rights to S and Super S at the time they shut down. I for one would like the opportunity to get a new DVD release of Sailor Moon since I missed the opportunity to grab the first two seasons - they were out of print by the time I started collecting.

As mentioned by rankothefiremage and LydiaDianne, Toei pulled the rights years ago and hasn't allowed North American licensing since. This happened while ADV was producing and selling the uncut sets for seasons 1 and R. Geneon had the rights to S and SuperS, but they lost them long ago. If they still had the rights, they would have been producing more copies of the DVDs up until they shut down. They could only sell existing stock -- which has only led to inflated prices.

I am sure that, if licensing issues were sorted out for BSSM with the Japanese license holders, and Toei decided to allow North American distribution again -- ADV would love to take advantage of that opportunity, and Funimation would likely be interested as well. There is still significant interest in BSSM here, but fans are unfortunately at a loss due to undisclosed licensing issues.

I don't know if either company would be interested in making a new dub for the series; but even if we were just to see an uncut subtitled release there is at least the possibility of airing on the future "The Anime Channel" (YTV would be foolish to not consider it, considering how successful SM was for them initially on YTV).

Funimation is really snatching up titles, aren't they? First they take over Tokyopop titles, and now they're looking at Geneon titles... interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wildcat70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope they get When they Cry. I need the last two discs. Salior Moon would be great too, esp in a thinpack.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Wildcat70 wrote:
I hope they get When they Cry. I need the last two discs. Salior Moon would be great too, esp in a thinpack.

Last 2? My copy (Preorder) of 4 got canned by the manufacture according to TRSI.......

Now of course us fans hope that Funi just adds a little Funi logo under the Geneon Logo and releases the remaining DVDs rather than a reissue of the first parts. (kinda like how the Kadowaka logo is on their products ie Third and FMP)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope, I hope, I hope that Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage, and When They Cry, are among those in negotiation. Please let it be so. Because the studios involved with them have said they would dub the whole things anyway so if it goes to another company they will probabally have the same voices. Not that Funi isn't excellent, it just would be odd to hear new voices halfway though a show.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I hope, I hope, I hope that Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage, and When They Cry, are among those in negotiation. Please let it be so. Because the studios involved with them have said they would dub the whole things anyway so if it goes to another company they will probabally have the same voices. Not that Funi isn't excellent, it just would be odd to hear new voices halfway though a show.

I wouldn't mind a new Higurashi cast, to be honest. But, like you said the studios already mentioned having already dubbed or being willing to dub these current shows, so I don't see a switch. Perhaps if a miracle happens and they decide to license Kai as well, they'll recast.
mythus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I was going to purchase Ichigo Mashimaro, but after hearing the downfall of geneon, i somewhat didn't. Hopefully funimation gets it out w/ OVA's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9