• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Syalis being captured by that bed trap really got me. I get a solid laugh at least once an episode with this show, which is nice.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
^
The bed trap was a great joke (and especially that it worked!), but I actually got the biggest laugh from using the scissors and wind shield to jet ski.

I was more surprised by the serious turn towards the end than I should have been. In retrospect, there have been hints in that direction for a few episodes now. I also found it ironic that the Demon King's apparent ultimate goal in kidnapping the princess may be working even better than he intended, just in a way no one could have expected. In her own wacky way, the princess is unwittingly bridging the demon/human divide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I got a kick out of the "low frequency vibrations" selling point, as this was a running gag in Peeping Life TV Season 1??. This tech was featured in items as diverse as a treadmill, a golden necklace on the "Good Buy Shopping Channel," and an enunciation aid for broadcasters. Since I'm pretty sure Sleepy Princess wasn't doing a shout out to the Peeps, I wonder if this is actually a thing in Japan, like the woo Paltrow peddles on Goop.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:10 pm Reply with quote
And here it is, this episode features the kind of development that many people have been teasing for a long time.
This manga might seen simple at subdued, but its gags, its heart, ambient and themes, and how finely all of it is tied together is masterful.

On the other hand, I'm sure at this point they have skipped Poseidon's introduction and that's a shame, since he's one of the most important characters and his rapport with the princess is very special.
Although the animation of Kai wolfing down that manju and sniffing for more was delightful, so all is forgiven?

Additionally, the line "but Sya's stay at the Demon Castle" made me realize something, and it's that historically it was a pretty common practice to hold someone from a roayl or noble family hostage not just for extortion but also as just another political tool and sometimes as a way to foster relationships between otherwise enemies. So they weren't as much "prisoners" as "guest who can't leave", and the enemy who instead of abusing or killing you treated you with care might not be your enemy for long (of course most cases didn't develop that nciely).
This series might have reached that accuracy by accident, but that's what makes it funny.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Well!! I was hoping very much for the pajama party practice to drop, as well as another story that is a prequel to this prequel (no luck with that). I almost lost hope of seeing it animated after noticing the direction they're taking with the Demon Cleric's character, but I guess they can always cut off the pajama party itself, which opens an entirely new character arc for those involved.

What I'm pleasantly surprised in is that the humor still works throughout (including the part with D-whatsit = Dawner) regardless of the change in Demon Cleric's motivations. They also managed to sew 3 unrelated chapters together as well as connect it with the previous episode, albeit very loosely: Princess is popular, signing grinning demon autographs for the Teddies --> Popular = gets invited to parties --> Cubey wants to emulate her popularity --> Her autograph becomes catalyst for Dawner nightmares.

I have a pretty good guess what the next arc to be animated will be for the finale, and as it is a tad bit too long for one episode, I'm looking forward to see how they'll manage to stick the landing.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:06 am Reply with quote
Although the main focus of this series definitely isn't romance, I keep wondering if Syalis and Twilight are eventually going to become a couple in the manga. I can't tell if the manga-ka is slowly laying the groundwork for that to happen or if I'm picking up signals that aren't there. I'd love to know other people's thoughts about this....

I'm so sad that there's only one episode left. I'll miss this little show. To me, it was the highlight of the Winter 2020 season. Luckily there's still the manga...
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Although the main focus of this series definitely isn't romance, I keep wondering if Syalis and Twilight are eventually going to become a couple in the manga. I can't tell if the manga-ka is slowly laying the groundwork for that to happen or if I'm picking up signals that aren't there. I'd love to know other people's thoughts about this....

Gag manga are notorious cock-teasers, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Is there more manga for this anime to animate? This series just CAN. NOT. BE. OVER. YET!!!

So sad.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
Is there more manga for this anime to animate? This series just CAN. NOT. BE. OVER. YET!!!

So sad.

Yes, lots more! Not only are there more volumes, but the anime has sort of cherry-picked chapters from the early books. It's fueling my possibly futile hopes of another season. Very Happy
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
They prioritized Succyun's introduction over Poseidon's. I'm dead.

Quote:
and Cubey's adventures just aren't quite as funny as the rest. It almost would have been better to skip over her and spend more time with Harpy's sleepover invitation

With Cleric forcing himself into the party. Without even trying to not seem bothered and scary.

PonSquared wrote:

So sad.

There are currently over 200 chapters.
They adapt about 3 chapters per episode.
The last chapter they covered was chapter 77.
The manga could end right now, they could make 5 seasons and still have material left.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Kind of late in the game for this complaint but I wish Funimation left their names as-is instead of changing them, especially since they didn't ever bother with Suyalis other than getting the u out of there so now it looks like her name is supposed to be pronounced 'Shalis'. Go hard and rename her 'Zzzyalis' or go home, cowards!
Jex2193

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Really hoping this gets a dub or at least the bluray doesn't take too long to release because I'd really like to own it. The series as a whole was way better than I expected. I laughed until I cried so many times.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Kind of late in the game for this complaint but I wish Funimation left their names as-is instead of changing them, especially since they didn't ever bother with Suyalis other than getting the u out of there so now it looks like her name is supposed to be pronounced 'Shalis'. Go hard and rename her 'Zzzyalis' or go home, cowards!

They're using the same names as the Viz manga releases, so they may not have had much choice.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this was a good finishing point for a series which consistently, pleasantly surprised me with how much play it got out of what seemed like a one-joke gimmick at first. (But this is the same director/writer combo which turned the adaptation of Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun into one of the all-time great anime comedies, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.) It's going to make my Top 10 list for the year and I'd pick it even over Isekai Quartet 2 as the year's best comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
yeehaw wrote:

They're using the same names as the Viz manga releases, so they may not have had much choice.

Except, apparently, the succubus character. In Japanese she’s Sakkyun. In the Funimation subs she’s Cubey. In Viz’s translation she’s... Bussy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5