• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Negotiating to Acquire Geneon Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sticks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Funimation has always done a good job when it comes to their english productions, such as "Gunslinger Girl" and the just released "Tsubasa". Im hoping that they release GSG2 here within the year.

That being said, if they do acquire some or all Geneon's titles, I would look forward to getting the rest of the anime that has put on hold like "Karin" and "Rozen Maiden" I already own the 1st season of "Shakugan no Shana" and "Fate/Stay Night", and if this deal goes through, I hope that they release the 2nd season of "Shana". But what about other shows that Geneon has American license rights to like "Sky Girls", will we ever see these shows brought over??

Geneon had a combination of complaints. From too many unsold titles left on the shelves, to illegal downloading on the internet, including fansubs of some of their series. But from some circles I listen to, the fansubbing has gotten worst for Geneon titles because of the fear that these titles will never come to the U.S. "Karin" is a good example cause only about 12 episodes (3 DVD's) were released here before all this happened. It wouldn't suprise me if people went ahead and downloaded the rest of the fansubed series thinking they may never see the remaining 12 episodes. If anything this should give Funimation a heads-up as to how popular this and other Geneon titles are and begin distribution and re-distribution ASAP.

My hope is that some of these and future titles will see the light of day here, so some companies both here and overseas will work things out so long as there is still a market and a calling out for these shows.

Personally, I hope Funimation gets the rights to "Sky Girls" too. I would buy that in a heartbeat. Wink
poehitman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the two I'm hoping get licensed are Karin and The Familiar of Zero. Both of which I think are likely since Karin's dub is complete and I believe that Zero's is as well (I read a news article right around the time of Geneon's implosion that stated the work for the dub on Zero had already been paid for and was going ahead as scheduled). The production costs on those series should be significantly reduced.

Also if The Familiar of Zero is picked up by FUNimation, it increases the chances of The Familiar of Zero 2: Knight of the Two Moons being licensed by FUNi as well. Not to mention season 3 that will be out in Japan this year. I'm already giddy about season 3.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
For existing licenses I'm hoping for:

- Shana OAV and box for the series so I can finally start collecting it.
- The rest of When they Cry
- Nanoha and Nanoha A's
- Ichigo Mashimaro OAV (actually forget if this was announced as licensed)

For stuff that likely would have been Geneon's, I'm hoping for:

- Shana Season 2
- Higurashi Season 2

The Familiar of Zero was fun enough that I might get it, but I'm hands off for season two. Hopefully season 3 will be back to form.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
X333333333333

Sweet news. I hope they get a hold of Higurashi and Rozen Maiden. :3
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean Geneon might get better soon? If so, Shounen Onmyouji DVDs here I come! And Rozen Maiden and many others! Very Happy
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
uLTraCarL wrote:
This is quite the news Cool

I just hope that they can acquire more of the heavy hitter titles
and the obscure ones as well (Nanoha!)

I was buying Hellsing Ultimate, so this is great news!

Wasn't ADV having a similar problem like Geneon's? I heard on Anime World Order that there were problems with their Sojitz deal & that the licenses with Sojitz might be dropped, but the news was like a month old. Any updates? ADV had Gurren Lagann as part of that deal.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
What about Geneon's titles that were in progress when they shut down like Nanoha and ZnT? If FUNi dubs them they'll change the script...
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I hope this all works out for Funimation. They are the one North American licensing company I have had the fewest issues with. If anyone should take over it should be them. I'm guessing that if they do take over more titles, they'll start out-sourcing their dubbing jobs...their in-house studio (thankfully) can't do everything, can they?

Like Sticks said, it'd probably be best for Funimation to move as fast as possible, but that's probably difficult. The slower this goes the more the consumers are going to exodus the R1 DVD market and turn towards fansubs. I'm one of those people, I never downloaded a fansub in my life before a week ago, but from now on I plan to never buy a DVD again and pirate mostly everything, even if it is licensed or released. (Then again I might be speaking too soon, I might get fed up with fansubs too if I download enough releases with botched video-quality). If too many people do what I do, then even though Funimation has good intentions, they'd only be hurting themselves by trying to revive an animal that is already too far gone to be saved.

About the market share numbers, I find it hard to believe that either Funimation or Geneon had only 10% of the USA market. Along with ADVision and Bandai those are the major anime licensors in the USA. Even assuming that ADV would have twice what they did, which I doubt, that'd only be 50% of the US market between the big four. I see no way that AnimeWorks, Viz, Right Stuf, and US Manga could make up the remaining 50%. Unless you count hentai titles, maybe.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Keep the market alive, as long as I can get my Hellsing Ultimate I'm fine with them trying to get titles.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I'm one of those people, I never downloaded a fansub in my life before a week ago, but from now on I plan to never buy a DVD again and pirate mostly everything, even if it is licensed or released.

Well that's just fine an' dandy! What a swell fella you are!

Yessiree!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
[

It's almost... hypnotic.

I wonder what will happen to Lupin III. I mean, Funimation already takes care of the TV specials and movies, but what about the second TV series that Geneon was handling (at least, for a while)? Will they continue it, using their own studio, or use the Phuuz voices (and superior crew, IMO)? No offense to Sonny Strait, but I've always believed Tony Oliver was a better Lupin.

Big props to Funimation, though. They're probably the strongest anime licensor in the R1 market right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean that I can finally get around to buying Higurashi before long?

Shame that no one will take Nanoha from them, much less give it a dub...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

I'm one of those people, I never downloaded a fansub in my life before a week ago, but from now on I plan to never buy a DVD again and pirate mostly everything, even if it is licensed or released. (Then again I might be speaking too soon, I might get fed up with fansubs too if I download enough releases with botched video-quality).

Turncoat!
Traitor!
Abandoning us out here in the trenches!

Or...
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers...podperson?

It's a waiting game. Note the comment licening prices are coming down. The longer Funi waits, the more likely they could get fire-sale prices.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
hope they make a steel box of bl:sb with all 12eps releases at one time and start with the 3 dvd of Saiunkoku that will be so sweet
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I hope they get:
  • Rozen Maiden
  • Higurashi
  • KKM
  • Nanoha
I'm in the middle of the first three, and Nanoha is one of my favorite anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9