• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Game Awards 2020 Roundup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I thank God that the Smash announcement was the very first thing, I only watched the last 5 mins of the preshow and felt my soul wanting to scape my body.

I can't imagínate sitting there waiting for hours the announcement.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm totally fine with Among Us getting an award, even if it maybe didn't qualify. They have a category for best ongoing game, which means that something like Fortnite is perpetually up for a nomination, so acknowledging that Among Us happened to catch on now is ok.

Definitely agree that it is too long. I forgot it was happening and caught the last 30 or so minutes, and every gaming channel on Youtube I looked at that was streaming it could not hide how bored they were. I was already getting bored with all the trailers that were just pre-rendered things for games that range from not out until sometime next year to merely confirming they exist.

The amount of trailers, and probably just how many were for things that are nowhere near coming out soon, definitely got me wondering about the mixed messaging for the VGAs. The show is supposed to be about honoring achievements in games from the prior year, but devotes so much time to ads for future games. And for many, they only watch because of that. The Academy Awards don't have trailers for new movies baked into the show itself.
noam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
i think the animation is supposed to invoke a monthy python like style
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
A part of me is convinced that Sephiroth doubling the FFVII roster in Smash is the real reason we got 6 fighters in the new pass. Had it just been the 5 like the previous pass, I bet the pushback would've been a lot worse. As it is, people I've seen (not on twitter) are mostly all just shrugging and sharing memes, a bit sad that they used up a pass slot on Sephi, but not so sad that they dislike the choice. Sephiroth is genuinely popular enough. Personally, knowing retroactively that Sephiroth was an option, I would've preferred Sora. But meh, not the end of the world.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, we now have a soundbite of Ralph Macchio saying “Under Night In-Birth,” so I guess that's something.

Singularly justifies the existence of the whole exercise.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I only watched a little of it because my friends were tweeting about it but it was so boring that it felt like... aggressively boring. As in, it actually agitated me with how boring it was.
To be fair though I'm not into shooty shooty killy killy GRITTY DARK american games so all the trailers with that content just ate at my mood.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I thank God that the Smash announcement was the very first thing, I only watched the last 5 mins of the preshow and felt my soul wanting to scape my body.

I can't imagínate sitting there waiting for hours the announcement.

That was the only reason I watched it at all Laughing To see if we got another announcement like Joker got last time which I missed live since I don't watch The Game Awards usually. Very kind of them to give it to us straight out the gate this time so us new watchers could peace out afterwards.

Quote:
The Innersloth development team's emotional reactions to Among Us winning Best Multiplayer Game was perhaps the only truly real moment of the whole thing. This tiny team made a thing that helped a lot of folks during tough times, and they're overwhelmed by the support of industry and fans! I mean, yeah, the game technically didn't release in 2020, but seeing how much recognition means to them, I'm okay with letting that slide.

To be honest, I'd say most of Among Us's appeal is watching streamers play it for entertainment value, not actually playing it yourself. It's like what Critical Role is for Dungeons and Dragons. Sure, some people do try to play those games themselves, but they usually realize their player group isn't as funny or charismatic as professional actors or comedians are so it's usually not like they envision it being Or worse, you try to play Among Us in random lobbies where 3 people leave at the start of each round because they didn't get to be the Imposter. I'm much more content watching streamers and vtubers play it as a way to entertain.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
cool, another fire emblem character for smash.

ih, and i made this reply to thank the article writer for making the vgas tolerable, thanks person.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I think this Game Awards was better than last year's, but I gotta be honest it was probably because of the Smash character reveal and because the pandemic made it a little less bloated.
- Sephiroth in Smash: I think he is a fine addition to the game but if I had to choose a FF character that would have been Bartz/Butz from FFV. I think that a gimmick revolving the job system from the game could be very creative, though maybe too complicated for Sakurai's team.
- Perfect Dark: not too excited, with the exception of KI I don't think any Rare game under Microsoft has brought any new or old fans back (I'm still waiting for a BK remake/sequel).
- TLoU2: I haven't played the game but one of my friends did and he didn't like, and he was a very big fan of the first one. He didn't care about the online drama surrounding the game, he is very casual about games in general... I mean, it was obvious that it was going to win anyway.
- Ghost & Goblins: I was excited but then the trailer started and it looked unimpressive, I mean it's passable but I wanted something akin to Mega Man 11.
I didn't pay too much attention to the show itself but, as you said, I liked it when the Among Us crew won, they seemed genuinely touched about it. The moment that made me cringe a bit was the part about Latinx in gaming, I know that the industry need more diverse people working on it, but speaking as an Argentinean I really don't like that term, at least here we use the expression "Latine" in some groups, and the fact that Latin America is composed of a lot of different races, nationalities and religions makes it very difficult to encompass it in just one term. But all in all, I think this year ceremony was an improvement.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The VGAs remain torturous. The extremely above-average TLoU2 sweeping was fairly predictable, especially since it was mostly up against other extremely above-average AAAs with massive marketing budgets. (Doom Eternal, 13 Sentinels, and Hades are probably the only games in those big categories I'll remember existed a year from now; I'd already forgotten Ghost of Tsushima before I saw the nominees.)

UMK11 winning best fighting would have pissed me off earlier in the year, but it seems to have gone through some notable improvements lately, so I can respect it even if it wouldn't be my choice.

The only thing that really pisses me off (apart from the experience of watching the show) is that Microsoft Flight Simulator, Crusader Kings, and X-Com are somehow considered part of the same genre category.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I think he is a fine addition to the game but if I had to choose a FF character that would have been Bartz/Butz from FFV. I think that a gimmick revolving the job system from the game could be very creative, though maybe too complicated for Sakurai's team.

ohhh that would be so cool. like even if it was his alt colours being different job outfits that'd be cool. And his final smash having Boko appear would be so cute.
Plus Gilgamesh and Enkidu Spirits...

Last edited by harminia on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
CAPCOM had a few retro announcements, starting with a Ghosts and Goblins remake. It looks… bad! Like, really bad!

I looked at it and didn’t think there was anything wrong with it, it certainly looked decidedly different from the PSP game. It’s also kinda of on brand considering how ass the original game and it’s ports looked.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Sephiroth comes with more than like two tracks :/
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:16 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
The moment that made me cringe a bit was the part about Latinx in gaming, I know that the industry need more diverse people working on it, but speaking as an Argentinean I really don't like that term, at least here we use the expression "Latine" in some groups, and the fact that Latin America is composed of a lot of different races, nationalities and religions makes it very difficult to encompass it in just one term. But all in all, I think this year ceremony was an improvement.

I live in a predominante Mexican community and I have never heard a single person say "Latinx", let alone call themselves anything but Mexican or hispanic. Otherwise, I'll agree that saying an Argentinean is the same as a Mexican is pretty... weird if the goal is to be politically correct.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
I looked at it and didn’t think there was anything wrong with it, it certainly looked decidedly different from the PSP game. It’s also kinda of on brand considering how ass the original game and it’s ports looked.

Yeah, not sure why this article rags on it so much. It has some semblance of style and uniqueness. I've seen far worse remake artstyles that just look like generic thick outlined Flash animation or 3D models. TMNT Reshelled and Ducktales Remastered were way worse.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much agree with everyone here.

As far as WORLD PREMIERES, I have to admit over the last few years I have gotten many "dream come true" moments. And because I'm spoiled, it will be really hard to wow me with anything moving forward. That said:

- Happy to see Sephiroth make it into Smash. Unexpected, & definitely the first hype choice of Fighter's Pass 2. I'm still holding out for Monster Hunter to make it. But at this point, I think the one who deserves to make the roster the most is Ryu Hayabusa.

- Announcements of announcements are getting tiresome at this point & we should stop accepting it. Saying something exists means nothing these days.

- Case in point, the biggest disappointments were no showing of Elden Ring & personally, still nothing for Bayonetta 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2