• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fire Force

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
Fire Force is definitely not winning awards for how it handles women in the series. Toss that hope out the window. Now with that said, I would like Orochi to step on me. Please and thank you.

I liked that characters died in this episode because Fire Force has somehow managed to avoid gruesome deaths even though characters are regularly being attacked by amounts of fire that should render human bodies quite crispy.

The suspense in Fire Force is always low for me because I never expect major heroes or villains to be significantly harmed.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:39 pm Reply with quote
"Tamaki's Endless Abuse Adventure"

That's the real name of the show!
I don't understand why the writers keep pushing Tamaki down. The joke stopped being funny a long time ago.

I sense that the writers are expressing their sadistic tendencies thru her.
They love seeing her half naked tortured humiliated on her knees defeated begging for her hero to rescue her. Then gave her a bit of self confidence, enough for her to stand up just to be defeated on her knees once more!

Last week I learned that she has very high fire resistance and instead of using this ability for her advantage the writers decided to use it for the white hood woman to torture her!

She could have used this fire resistance to grab and hold the white-hood woman's fire whip while juggernaut delivered his big bomb.

I personally thought that she might combine her prayers with her pyro powers to create some cool attacks.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Considering how Haumea loves to use her ability to control and mess with people and they showed her literally playing with Sho like a doll, I'm going to take "plaything" at face value and not some other horrible way.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Are we headed towards an anime original ending, or is Season 2 just going to end with a big, fat “To Be Continued” slapped on the end of it?

I guess that it won't have season 3 if it's true. Most animes never have manga or light novel endings and got anime original endings instead. Endings from manga are not common in anime. Anime = advertisement.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:57 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Quote:
Are we headed towards an anime original ending, or is Season 2 just going to end with a big, fat “To Be Continued” slapped on the end of it?

I guess that it won't have season 3 if it's true. Most animes never have manga or light novel endings and got anime original endings instead. Endings from manga are not common in anime. Anime = advertisement.

Do people seriously think we're getting an anime original ending in 2020? Nobody does those anymore. They were a common practice 10 years ago but they (thankfully) died out in the 2010s. Every anime that has come out in the past 4 years has gone the seasonal route. And last year we didn't know Fire Force was getting a second season until they told us at the end of the final episode. Which is another common thing that anime studios do nowadays.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
So, they.. uh, they really thought it was a good idea to make Lucky Lecher Lure a central part of Tamaki's backstory, eh? Laughing

Well, was cool seeing her get stronger, anyway, although I feel like her cat-run could've looked less goofy. Hopefully the power-up genuinely pays off in future battles versus the White Clad.

I actually really, genuinely liked that they used the death of potato-kun to motivate her -- unfortunate that (if I remember correctly) we were told he "just barely" survived; that could've been a pretty poignant character moment. No one can ever die in a world filled with deadly fire, apparently.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seeing Tamaki realize that she's made honest-to-God friends at Company 8, who'll eat lunch with her no matter how many times her boobs try to force their way down their throats mid-conversation, is infuriatingly heartwarming. I don't want to give Fire Force any Lucky Lecher Lure-adjacent kudos, but we're four dozen episodes into this ridiculous story, and the Stockholm Syndrome must be settling in for the long haul.

These are probably the best words I will read all week. I have nothing to look forward to until next Monday.

Thank you, kind citizen.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote
Well, dang. A super solid Soul Eater reference at the last second of S2 Ep24. Whatever the heck that means...(Beatrice's voice) S3 at least I suppose...
otakunomike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Part of this series' issues with pacing come down to it being a VERY close adaptation of the manga, which is plotted out along a longer timeframe and isn't trying to create narrative climaxes at specific episodes. Even My Hero Academia, which tends to follow the manga closely, uses a bit of leeway to make things fit easier than FF does for good or bad.

As for the Soul Eater reference, the moon isn't the first one. Back in the episode with Assault when he visits the hostess club the guy in the seat behind him is clearly an allusion to Maka's dad.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
"Hysterical Strength of a Fire Scene" sounds like something went through machine translation Laughing

Hopefully we get a season 3 and it's just issues with Covid causing so many production issues and delays industry wide that we didn't get a confirmation with the finale.
leongsh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:44 am Reply with quote
I think they're quite kind to end the season at this spot. Another couple of episodes will likely end the season with a cliffhanger.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:47 am Reply with quote
I didn’t realize it was the final episode until I saw the review; the whole episode felt like set up to an immediate battle. I guess we should hope for a season 3; I definitely want to see Tamaki standing up for herself with her new skills.
otakunomike The appearance of Maka’s dad could easily be written off as a gag since it was in a gag episode. The moon reveal seemed more sincere. It’ll be interesting if the two series are connected in canon.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The appearance of Maka’s dad could easily be written off as a gag since it was in a gag episode. The moon reveal seemed more sincere. It’ll be interesting if the two series are connected in canon.

That was my thinking re: Maka's dad's cameo. I'd caught it when I watched the ep, though it looks like I completely forgot to mention it in my review (mea culpa). I figured it was just an in-joke, at the time.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I think this season finale was a lot weaker then the one for season 1. The return to the Nether arc felt too similar to what they did last season except this one wasn't as good. And then having them segway into a training arc with Benimaru was a weird choice. Plus I think they really dropped the ball with the whole Sho/Shinra subplot. Seriously, they spent most of S1 hyping that up only for Sho to be a non factor for most of S2.

Also I was surprised they didn't announce a new season at the end of the finale episode like they did last year. Oh well, hopefully we do get a third season that way this show won't go out on a weird note.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17