• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Oricon Poll: Over 90% of Japanese Public is Familiar with Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
does anyone feel like this anime's excessive publicity is going to bite itself or something bad will happen? This reminds of "your name" and Shinkai expressing some concern for the disturbing obsession people took with his film.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I never understood how Demon Slayer turned into this massive sensation.

I mean, it's a perfectly fine, decently written, if slightly generic shounen series, with excellent production value. Beyond that, I don't see the hype.
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:43 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

I mean, it's a perfectly fine, decently written, if slightly generic shounen series, with excellent production value. Beyond that, I don't see the hype.

this is just my opinion but I believe it's something to do with the combination between a studio known for its outstanding production values + an adaptation for a title in japan's most popular manga magazine. what made it this big was the anime itself no doubt.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
does anyone feel like this anime's excessive publicity is going to bite itself or something bad will happen? This reminds of "your name" and Shinkai expressing some concern for the disturbing obsession people took with his film.

I wouldn't be surprised if that contributed to the manga's arguably abrupt ending. I'm sure the pressure was immense, and it's only gotten more popular.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

Kinda answered your own question there. Given the immense popularity of shows like Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach, decent but not-overly-ambitious shonen fighting anime with good animation and too many episodes is what the vast majority of people (kids? young boys?) want. MHA and FMA are a little less generic but follow a similar formula.

I don't really understand it either, and this particular show's weirdly dogmatic early fanbase turned me off to it a while ago, but it's not a new paradigm or anything. Not all shows in its vein are so successful, obviously, but once one of them accumulates enough fans it becomes The Show Everybody's Watching and its popularity explodes.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
This legitimately sounds comparable to Batman levels of ubiquity.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Often, something with a tried and true formula, with it's own little unique spins, executed well, can and does work. Which is why many try to imitate it, but few succeed. It helps that the main lead is like the little engine that could, and Nezuko has that kawaii factor.

Anyway, I'll be dissappointed if the blu ray doesn't have a quote on the cover saying,"Nothing stops this train!"
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Kinda answered your own question there. Given the immense popularity of shows like Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach, decent but not-overly-ambitious shonen fighting anime with good animation and too many episodes is what the vast majority of people (kids? young boys?) want. MHA and FMA are a little less generic but follow a similar formula.

I don't really understand it either, and this particular show's weirdly dogmatic early fanbase turned me off to it a while ago, but it's not a new paradigm or anything. Not all shows in its vein are so successful, obviously, but once one of them accumulates enough fans it becomes The Show Everybody's Watching and its popularity explodes.

FMA doesn’t need to be in the same category as MHA. Respectfully.
Lenks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Often, something with a tried and true formula, with it's own little unique spins, executed well, can and does work. Which is why many try to imitate it, but few succeed.

I tell people this all the time. Demon Slayer doesn't reinvent the wheel, it doesn't try to be smart and cute with the plot and characters, and it's really polished and refined simple. It's honestly really nice to have something that doesn't try to make itself grandiose and convoluted.

Last edited by Lenks on Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:23 am Reply with quote
I remember one time when I was at a wedding, and I was browsing ANN. Suddenly my uncle (40 years old) who I haven't seen in a long time, took a glance at my phone and asked me "Do you watch one piece? I stopped watching it after the time skip and switched to reading the manga". I was shocked that he hasn't told me anything about his love for anime until now. Really shocked.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:24 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

I don't really understand it either, and this particular show's weirdly dogmatic early fanbase turned me off to it a while ago, but it's not a new paradigm or anything. Not all shows in its vein are so successful, obviously, but once one of them accumulates enough fans it o becomes The Show Everybody's Watching and its popularity explodes.

The music and animation alone makes the show amazing. The fight scenes are great and the characters are interesting. Muzan, the upper moons and the pillars plus the character development is great too

As for the movie, the animation and music is better than any anime movie that has ever hit theatres. Seriously, just look at the most recent trailer. Only date night movies can compare but it’s from the same company.

I’m not into mangas since I don’t like reading. But this manga I binged in a full day. It was that good. Not happy with the ending but still an amazing show
TanjiroKamado

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:06 am Reply with quote
#918673 wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

I don't really understand it either, and this particular show's weirdly dogmatic early fanbase turned me off to it a while ago, but it's not a new paradigm or anything. Not all shows in its vein are so successful, obviously, but once one of them accumulates enough fans it o becomes The Show Everybody's Watching and its popularity explodes.

The music and animation alone makes the show amazing. The fight scenes are great and the characters are interesting. Muzan, the upper moons and the pillars plus the character development is great too

As for the movie, the animation and music is better than any anime movie that has ever hit theatres. Seriously, just look at the most recent trailer. Only date night movies can compare but it’s from the same company.

I’m not into mangas since I don’t like reading. But this manga I binged in a full day. It was that good. Not happy with the ending but still an amazing show

I mean there's a ton of manga out there I know you would binge if you were more adventurous with finding new content. A lot of it will also probably never get animated so it's worth it. Too many westerners don't read manga at all. it's a damn shame.
NezukoKamado

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:10 am Reply with quote
Muzan was kind of an underwhelming villain. Even by the end he was never really that well developed. The only villain that was actually well done was Akaza.
NezukoKamado

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 am Reply with quote
#918673 wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

I mean, I feel that the character development for a ton of the Pillars plus the villains was seriously under developed. It was fine for what it was but if you actually look at the amount of backstory and scenes every character gets, its not much. Muzan was also a bit of an underwhelming villain in the end. The Other upper moons, especially Akaza were all better done

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
NezukoKamado wrote:
#918673 wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

I mean, I feel that the character development for a ton of the Pillars plus the villains was seriously under developed. It was fine for what it was but if you actually look at the amount of backstory and scenes every character gets, its not much. Muzan was also a bit of an underwhelming villain in the end. The Other upper moons, especially Akaza were all better done

I thought Obani had pretty good development. Genya and Sanemi too. UPM1 crying and showing the flute and accepting defeat as well imo.

Yes Muzan disappointed me because he didn’t have much of a back story. I was really bummed out by that since I actually liked Muzan and how evil he was
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1