• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Christmas Anime Episodes to Get You in the Holiday Spirit!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I know Osomatsu-san is not particularly popular in the west, but its Christmas episode was pretty much the best anime Christmas special I've seen.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Last time, we asked you what your favorite Fall 2020 anime was and you said….

When was this? The archives show the last List was Sept. 18, 2020, and the poll was "what anime made you go WTF!"

Interesting that Noblesse came in third when it couldn't garner enough votes to get weekly reviews.

I added my favorite to the poll, but on the opposite end is my most despised Christmas episode ever, which is Captain Tylor's Christmas episode (OVA 6) where he effectively stands Yuriko up while wandering around town. To add insult to injury, she totally forgives him when hours later he finally does show up.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
What!? No, Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz or Gundam: War In The Pocket? Those are the best Christmas anime of all time.
Man, I want to live in the Gundam Wing universe
el_morris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
What about Gintama? You have episodes 36-37 and 200-201.
halo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Toradora episodes 18-19... OK, maybe this doesn't put you in the "spirit" but it sure as hell still hits me in the gut every time.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:48 pm Reply with quote
My go-to anime for Christmas is the "Tendo Family Christmas Scramble" from the first Ranma 1/2 OAV series.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I remember Rinne, Toradora and Digimon Adventure 2 having Christmas episodes too. I don't remember well, but did Persona's animes have too?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
What!? No, Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz or Gundam: War In The Pocket? Those are the best Christmas anime of all time.
Man, I want to live in the Gundam Wing universe

I think something that will be published on Wednesday will make you pretty happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Toradora episodes 18-19... OK, maybe this doesn't put you in the "spirit" but it sure as hell still hits me in the gut every time.

In terms of good Christmas episodes, I'd probably point to this one, too. Maybe not the best for setting the mood, though.

I was always partial to the Christmas episode of Mahoromatic (ep 5 of the second season).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17 of My Love Story!! ("My Christmas") is also a very good Christmas episode. Other noteworthy Christmas anime include The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and Episode 4 ("Romance") of Amagami SS.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I know Osomatsu-san is not particularly popular in the west, but its Christmas episode was R2-D2pretty much the best anime Christmas special I've seen.

I'm re-watching it this week Very Happy

So glad someone else thought of it
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll always pull for Big O's "Daemonseed." Nothing gets you in the mood for the holidays like a giant robot fighting a massive killer Christmas tree. Very Happy
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Doublechecked. Digimon 2 even had an original Christmas song. Still, it was kinda awkward that it was that it involved that romance nobody saw coming (at least that was me as a kid. Heard the drama cds build it up)

EDIT: Bungo Stray Dogs has a Christmas episode but only in the spinoff Wan. Hope Bones adapt it.
uberbenbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to rewatching Gabriel Dropout episode 9. Nobody celebrates Christmas better than a demon.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Most of my faves have already been listed, but I'll list Strawberry Marshmallow's episode 12 as being pretty cute. I really like the desperate desire to keep alive one girl's belief in Santa to the point of tackling anyone who might get in the way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2