• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:33 am Reply with quote
What a great series this turned out to be. Very funny, great characters (the Teddy Demons are definitely mascot of the year for me) and nice world building. I hope we get more animated in the future =D

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:

They're using the same names as the Viz manga releases, so they may not have had much choice.

Except, apparently, the succubus character. In Japanese she’s Sakkyun. In the Funimation subs she’s Cubey. In Viz’s translation she’s... Bussy.

Sigh, I thought we had gotten past these name changes years ago.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
What a great series this turned out to be. Very funny, great characters (the Teddy Demons are definitely mascot of the year for me) and nice world building. I hope we get more animated in the future =D

Princess_Irene wrote:

They're using the same names as the Viz manga releases, so they may not have had much choice.

Except, apparently, the succubus character. In Japanese she’s Sakkyun. In the Funimation subs she’s Cubey. In Viz’s translation she’s... Bussy.

Sigh, I thought we had gotten past these name changes years ago.

All the demons tend to have "what I am" names so if you transfer Cubey's name directly... she's Succy/Sucky.

I choose to call call her Cubey. Bussy is just odd really.

That was a good series, I want more. I really can't say why I want more of it but I think it's the equivalent of anime hot chocolate. It's not soothing, it's warming. Nothing complicated about it but you know when you want it.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
What a fun ride up until the very end.

I know the chances are very slim, but the Queen's "See you soon" got my hopes up for a second season. There's so much more material left to adapt! Here's hoping Japanese viewers did not sleep on this show, and that eventually it becomes a sleeper hit over here as well. Okay, I'll stop.Laughing
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

A buss is an archaic word for a kiss, which could be what Viz was going for.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

A buss is an archaic word for a kiss, which could be what Viz was going for.

It is also, unfortunately (spoilered for extremely NSFW) spoiler[a slurring of "boy pussy" and slang in the gay community for a receiving anus].

Note: mods, if this is too much, feel free to get rid of it
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so THIS is why they skipped Poseidon and went for Succyun instead. They better make up for it if there's a S2. They would have to backtrack a couple dozen chapters though.

It took me a long time to realize it come from the "bus" in succubus.
It's already an unsafe demon species so might as well succ it up and keep the start. Or just leave it as Succyun since even in English it will make about as much sense as Cubey or... Bussy.

EDIT: oh lol at Bussy being actually more problematic than Succy would have been.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Interesting to learn that despite the fantasy setting, if what the shopping channel hosts said was true and not just marketing nonsense, then they've got more advanced tech than we have Laughing

The shopping channel hosts were named Flora and Bianco, with incredible resemblance to Flora and a male gender swapped version of Bianca, the hero's two bridal candidates in Dragon Quest V. That amused me, probably a very obvious joke to Japanese viewers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5