• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization BR Limited Edition

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Interesting review. The character writing for Eugeo was very strong. And his companionship with Kirito is a high point of the entire series. I would give the first half of Alicization a B+ at the very least because it broke the monotony of Kirito’s story revolving around him partnering with a girl and then eventually becoming in his harem.

The second part of the arc is my favorite though because it just goes balls to the wall with action and drama.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't actually finished the anime yet. I'm like 90% finished with the first half of Alicization.
But I have read all of the Alicization LNs. I guess the LNs just spoiled me a bit because while I do definitely enjoy the anime adaptation and think it's the best arc of the entire series, I also think they rushed it just a bit too much. I don't feel like we are given enough time to appreciate the characters they introduce. So when events happen with them, it didn't feel as impactful. This goes for all characters too, friend and enemy alike.

I mean, I totally get and understand why it's rushed as much as it is. If I recall, I think the anime goes at a pace of 3-4 episodes per novel during the Alicization arc. This makes sense because there are 10 novels for it to get through. But for the first two anime seasons, it went at a pace of approximately 5-6 episodes per novel. So the change in pace is quite obvious.

The Alicization anime cuts a ton of character development and even downgraded an entire subplot to a montage. SAO's anime is usually a very good adaptation of its source material (bar the simplification of the "Murder in the Safe Zone" plot line in Aincrad and the complete omission of the Jotunheim plot line in Fairy Dance.) So seeing it cut out interesting plot details was somewhat disappointing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1