• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rave Master's Mashima Draws Monster Hunter Orage Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barbapapa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
As far as shounen goes, I'm a fan of Mashima.
His growth as a mangaka has been really interesting. Starting as a complete amateur, not ever having been an assistant; gradually evolving into a quality story-teller.
Casting away negative comparisons with Oda.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Eh, why Monster Hunter? I know it is extremely popular in Japan, but I could never find its' lustre. It seems like an overly complicated(weapon and Armor wise), plot removed(seriously, one has you being attacked by a monster, and then falling off a cliff, forgeting your past, and becoming a new hunter in a new town), version of Dynasty Warriors, oh wait... I guess they like Hack & Slashes in Japan.

And TokyoPop is slow, didn't Mashima finish Rave like in 2005? Just seems no one cares, just like the anime, which never got fully released on DVD.
Ramune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Monster Hunter games is that, while there's no over arcing story (or ending for that matter), it's about going from a amateur hunter with pretty much nothing to your name, to a full fledged Monster Hunter. One that's able to tackle any monster or situation with even the weakest weapons. You kill the monsters and harvest their body parts and other field items into more powerful armor, weapons, and items. And it's also about skill with the different weapons. They handle very realistically with huge swords and hammers being quite a bit slower to handle, but dish out a lot of damage, to the quicker sword and shield and dual sword weapons, with their low attack power, but make up for it with their quick combo hits. There's no lock on either which might be the primary negative about combat to many new players. No recklessness or your going to get your butt kicked!

I actually was turned off at first, disappointed thinking it was a game with a plot and an ending. But the more I played, the more addicting it became as I went from losing to winning battles and creating unique armor and weaponry from my victories. It's even better when played with others and there are ways to play the PSP games with others online (XLink Kai mainly) for a more MMO experience. It takes more than an hour to really get into these games, and they aren't for everyone. But if you give them a chance, there's a lot of replay value and challenge for your buck to be had.

Anyway, back on topic.....should be interesting how a manga is adapted from this franchise. Especially with someone like Mashima at the helm!
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this doesn't interfere with the production of Fairy Tail.
Bell02

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:44 am Reply with quote
I was worried about the same thing actually. I guess it is too close for him to make a quick end with Fairy Tail, but not to keep it from taking a vacation or making the quality go down. I'm hoping for the best, and that this is a short manga like most ad-manga are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1