• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - That's Not Very Cyberpunk of You

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Cyberpunk 2077: the Gundress of video games.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Games like Cyberpunk,are why I go into them as blind as possible. So I have little chance if being disappointed! I do find it weird how people were acting like CD Projekt Red could do no wrong,when they only made one fantastic game,in Witcher 3 (1 was mediocre and 2 was pretty good until the rushed end).
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Cyberpunk 2077: the Gundress of video games.

Nah, I played it on PC and it's fine. It's just the console versions that are scuffed. They really shouldn't have tried to make it work on last gen consoles.

Themaster20000 wrote:
Games like Cyberpunk,are why I go into them as blind as possible. So I have little chance if being disappointed! I do find it weird how people were acting like CD Projekt Red could do no wrong,when they only made one fantastic game,in Witcher 3 (1 was mediocre and 2 was pretty good until the rushed end).

To be fair CD Projekt Red also has a bunch of haters so I think it all evens out in the end. But yeah, I never really like to hype up games as the 2nd coming of Jesus and didn't pay much attention to it aside from the memes until it came out.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote
-Cyberpunk: This is probably the worst fiasco seen since at least Fallout 76 which was also a buggy mess. But whereas 76 was just boring, Cyberpunk is genuinely unplayable on entire platforms. It really is a crystallization of AAA gaming's worst habits: unrealistic expectations, incompetent management, hype overload, etc. Heck, the game isn't problem-free on the PC either as it requires a really good rid so we can add "power obsession" to the list as well.

And the funny thing is, the game was NOT the genre-redefining moment touted by its creators. It's just another sandbox RPG, its only unique points really being the setting and Keanu Reeves. All that work and hype for nothing.

-DNF Duel: Huh, okay. I'm always up for ArcSys doing new licenses out of nowhere

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
It's just another sandbox RPG, its only unique points really being the setting and Keanu Reeves. All that work and hype for nothing.

This is what amazed me about the cultlike behavior of this game's pre-release fandom. It never looked like anything but an open-world game where you can drive around. We get like ten of those a year. How was that supposed to revolutionize gaming?

Turns out, if Cyberpunk does end up changing the industry it'll be by serving as a warning to publishers considering rushing games out the door.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-Cyberpunk: This is probably the worst fiasco seen since at least Fallout 76 which was also a buggy mess. But whereas 76 was just boring, Cyberpunk is genuinely unplayable on entire platforms. It really is a crystallization of AAA gaming's worst habits: unrealistic expectations, incompetent management, hype overload, etc. Heck, the game isn't problem-free on the PC either as it requires a really good rid so we can act "power obsession" to the list as well.

And the funny thing is, the game was NOT the genre-redefining moment touted by its creators. It's just another sandbox RPG, its only unique points really being the setting and Keanu Reeves. All that work and hype for nothing.

-DNF Duel: Huh, okay. I'm always up for ArcSys doing new licenses out of nowhere

Unfortunately, yeah. As much as people wanted to believe otherwise, CDPR ended up behaving like the big publishers that are synonymous with scummy behavior. In some ways, they were worse. Not even EA or Activision have pulled a move restricting reviewers from using their own footage.

I also agree with your second point. Even if things were working correctly, it still would not have reached what they said. Somebody at CDPR decided that they would claim to have the most advanced crowd AI in gaming history. I doubt it's an accidental bug that NPCs will do things like react to explosions in the exact same way in sync with each other, or that stopping your car in the road will cause all other cars to just sit there and wait. GTA figured out how to make cars go around a long time ago.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Personally I’ve loved Cyberpunk, Stayed away from the hype and my knowledge was mainly sci-fi/cyberpunk ascetic with great graphics and Keanu for some reason and was absolutely amazed by just how deep and detailed the city and side missions were (and how well they integrated Keanu into the story).
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
Personally I’ve loved Cyberpunk, Stayed away from the hype and my knowledge was mainly sci-fi/cyberpunk ascetic with great graphics and Keanu for some reason and was absolutely amazed by just how deep and detailed the city and side missions were (and how well they integrated Keanu into the story).

It's a perfectly fine game if play it on PC and maybe the new consoles. It's mainly the last generation versions that are getting all the hate and review bombs. All the hate is stemming from not being able to play it, not that it's a bad game.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Turns out, if Cyberpunk does end up changing the industry it'll be by serving as a warning to publishers considering rushing games out the door.

ET.

Final Fantasy 14

KOTOR 2

Dragon Age 2

AC Unity

WWE 2K20

The industry has seen the problem of this numerous times over the last 40 years. They're never going to get this lesson also keep in mind CyberPunk has been in development since at least 2012/2013 all that time and the game wasn't even finished when they started Crunch.

Themaster20000 wrote:

I didn't feel like Witcher 2 was rushed towards the end, unbalanced in the early game yes but not really rushed imo. Witcher 3 meanwhile had some weird aspects some of which was carried over like money being hard to earn etc.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Cyberpunk never interested me, but the fiasco it turned out to be is why IMO it's not worth getting games the second they come out. It pretty much dominated the front page of reddit when it came out.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The industry has seen the problem of this numerous times over the last 40 years. They're never going to get this lesson also keep in mind CyberPunk has been in development since at least 2012/2013 all that time and the game wasn't even finished when they started Crunch.

Don't forget Fallout New Vegas. It's still unplayable without anti-crashing mods and preferable bug fixing patches, yet people still love that game.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Don't forget Fallout New Vegas. It's still unplayable without anti-crashing mods and preferable bug fixing patches, yet people still love that game.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that even as I put up KOTOR 2 which they also developed jesus Razz

Quote:
Come release week, the Online Cyberpunk 2077 Defense Force was mobilized and ready to destroy. Much shit was lost over a handful of more negative reviews. Liana at Game Informer pointed out that there were seizure-inducing light patterns in the game – one of those really important things that you would think would be caught during QA analysis. She was rewarded for her reporting by a bunch of asshats trying to send her flashing GIFs and telling her that people prone to seizures simply shouldn't play games at all. Totally cool and normal fan reaction, and not at all completely terrible behavior!

Wow I thought the backlash to the negative reviews were stupid. What the hell is wrong with people?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Unfortunately, yeah. As much as people wanted to believe otherwise, CDPR ended up behaving like the big publishers that are synonymous with scummy behavior. In some ways, they were worse. Not even EA or Activision have pulled a move restricting reviewers from using their own footage.

I also agree with your second point. Even if things were working correctly, it still would not have reached what they said. Somebody at CDPR decided that they would claim to have the most advanced crowd AI in gaming history. I doubt it's an accidental bug that NPCs will do things like react to explosions in the exact same way in sync with each other, or that stopping your car in the road will cause all other cars to just sit there and wait. GTA figured out how to make cars go around a long time ago.

Which is why CDPR is now staring down the barrel of investor litigation. The game wasn't ready for primetime and people were going to find out anyway, so now the fiasco happened. It's hilarious at how people keep repeating the same mistakes over and over and over.

As for the second part, they didn't need to hype it up this much. The Witcher III isn't that unique, but manages to stand on its own due to the writing and characters. Cyberpunk didn't need to be this big sea change, it just needed to be competent and it couldn't even do that.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
In the same column of link where this article can be found, there's a puff piece about how Final Fantasy XIV has become the best game in the series, after a disaster of a launch that took Square Enix nearly 2 years to repair. And as Naoki Yoshida has said in interviews, much longer to repair the trust they had with their audience.

In last week's coverage of the Game Awards, one of the awards that didn't even get a casual mention in the brief intro was Best Ongoing Game, which went to No Man's Sky. The same game is also up for a Steam award for Labor of Love. Both awards are recognizing that a game that was released as an unplayable mess was completely turned around by a dev team that had faith in their product, just not enough time or money to make it happen right away.

And then there's Cyberpunk 2077. I'm not here to defend CDPR's actions. I agree that the game needed more time in the oven, and that the writing isn't the top-notch, revolutionary story it was hyped up to be. But I personally enjoy the game, and I can recognize all the hard work and love that went into the sometimes microscopic attention to detail.

So it pains me that almost every time I check out the internet these days there's another article jumping on the shitposting bandwagon about how terrible the game is because it runs badly on the PS4. Acting as if I'm a terrible person who should feel terrible because I can both run the game and enjoy it. As if CDPR hasn't already promised to spend the next 6 months to a year making it right for every platform. As if every game designed for next-gen hardware didn't avoid showing footage from older systems. As if CDPR wasn't offering full refunds if your local retailer refuses. (Way to misrepresent that in the article!)

I get it, it's a fad. It's cool to hate the things everybody says you should hate. It's nice to belong to the group. Pulling out clauses from the review NDA? The latest CoD had the same restrictions - it's really not that unusual for AAA titles. All this demonstrates to me is that there's a witchhunt going on. Everyone's stressed out, and people were looking forward to this, and it didn't go the way they hoped. Break out the pitchforks and torches.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The failure of Cyberpunk at the moment is all thanks to the gaming community forcing CDPR's hand to release a game that wasn't ready. The death threats, the preorder cancellations, etc. All of that made them put out a project that needed more time. Toss in the whole pandemic situation this year and you have the mess that we have. So, all those haters out there really have themselves to thank. All those "reviewers" shitting on things didn't even wait for day one patches (among other things) so they're playing something that wasn't finalized following release day.

I've been playing on the PS4 Pro and haven't encountered or been able to mimick any of the glaring issues that people have been supposedly harping about, and god damn it's the same ones... kinda strange.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3