• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digitimes: PlayStation 5 Ships 3.4 Million Units in 1st 4 Weeks

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maciste

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
With 3 million units going to scalpers ...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
Sooner or later they will have to do something themselves to deal with scalpers. Consoles, especially at launch, tend to be sold at a loss with the idea of making it back on game sales and and subscriptions. I've seen some reports that Sony isn't seeing the software sales it was expecting because, big shock, scalpers aren't buying games. Selling millions of units at a loss that just sit in storage somewhere does no good.

Retailers seem to be getting a little better about screening orders when they get some stock, but I think it is still up to the manufacturer to produce enough units, build up a stockpile, and then release them in such volume that regular customers can easily get them. These little trickles aren't all that helpful since bots can be prepared to go every time a store announced a small restock. I got as far as being able to press add to cart at the exact time a restock went on sale, and within 30 seconds it said the order wasn't placed because it was out of stock.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Want to deal with scalpers? Simple. Don’t buy from one.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:
With 3 million units going to scalpers ...

You took the words out of my mouth. Most of the units did not get into the hands of people who wanted them.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Scalpers have to sell them on at a higher price to make money. As long as Sony can keep cranking them out and people dont pay the scalpers prices, the scalpers will lose money from unsold stock and may even have to sell them at a loss just to recoup their investment.

Yeah consoles usually are sold at cost initially and with other costs included such as marketing will be at a small loss but part of that is the R&D and setting up the production lines. Once production is in full flow and supply chains optimised they will start making a small profit on the consoles themselves (usually $10-50).
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in getting a PS5, but I really hope the 2nd version has a significantly different look.
traveling

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
Boycott the scalpers and wait it out. PS5s will be more available this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1