• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Adachi and Shimamura Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it could have worked better as a 10 minutes short, drop most of the side character and tighten up the pacing and it wouldn't feel like such a slog to go trough.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I like this show and found myself invested in the characters, especially Adachi. The show is slow, but I like the premise and potential. My big issue is that there is not enough of a resolution. It seems unlikely, but I would like a second season.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I liked the show mainly for it's laid back atmosphere and the impressive animation and Adachi was a likable lead character. I also liked the show focused a lot on her inner feelings which I feel like most romance anime focuses more on outward actions instead and we don't really get that much deep introspection like they do with this show. Though I wish we got more of Shimamura's perspective than we did. I thought Shimamura's first set of friends were ok sans the awkward groping joke but I couldn't care less about her second set of "friends" and the childhood rival character. My biggest frustration was with the slow at molasses pacing and how they kept dragging out the whole will they/won't they aspect that Bloom Into You was a lot better at avoiding that sort of thing and it was a much better yuri show because of it. It would have been better if they gave us some sort of sense of resolution or progress with the ending but it just kind of ends with no real hope for a likely season two and it sounds like the light novels haven't made any progress with them either. I still would likely revisit this whenever it gets dubbed because I still enjoyed my time with it overall. I'm still convinced the astronaut girl really is an alien.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It would have been better if they gave us some sort of sense of resolution or progress with the ending but it just kind of ends with no real hope for a likely season two and it sounds like the light novels haven't made any progress with them either.

Far from it. The Light Novels have made progress a long time ago. spoiler[The anime adapted four volumes. They start dating at end of volume 6. In this hypothetical second season they would become a couple halfway through. In case you don't know, there are currently nine volumes out in Japan. I personally appreciate this series a lot for not ending the story at the point where the main couple start dating. So many romance series do that, it was getting annoying. We never get to see how the characters act as an actual couple. Well, we do here.]
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Everyone on social media told me the novels are also moving at a snail's pace so I'm glad there's some progress going on.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I liked the show mainly for it's laid back atmosphere and the impressive animation and Adachi was a likable lead character. ... I'm still convinced the astronaut girl really is an alien.

As a reader of the LN ( up to date with the japanese release so all 9 volumes so far ), i can assure you that the LN really made progress in their relationship spoiler[( at the very end of volume 6 they became girlfriends, the declaration is quiet atypical by the way )].
The anime adapted the first 4 volumes which i would summarize as the part where Adachi understands the nature of her own feeling towards Shimamura, starting the next volumes Shimamura begins getting more POV than Adachi, the secondary characters also get more depth, however, mosty as a steeping stone for Tarumi's case.

Compared to more typical Yuri like Bloom Into You in which the romance is the preeminent genre, i've always seen AdaShima as a SoL - Comedy first before a Yuri, even later when their relationship takes shape, i get why it might be seen as being too much slow and awkward but personally this atypical pacing and the characters awkwardness was what attracted me the most in this serie, probably because i sympathize with the author humor.

I'd love to see it getting a sequel, at the very least for the next 4 volumes which were overwhelmingly better than the precedents, Adachi becomes even more aggressive and awkward, sometimes borderline Yandere ( or rather, she really is ), while Shimamura starts confronting her apathetic personality.

Does anyone also think that Yashiro's brethren is the Yashiro from Denpa Onna ?
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Does anyone also think that Yashiro's brethren is the Yashiro from Denpa Onna ?

Yeah, that's pretty clear. She mentions "looking for a friend" and then when her face was revealed it was basically young Erio (hinting at Erio's actual abduction from Denpa Onna)

As for the series, I quite enjoyed it. It was slow as molasses at points, but it had some really relatable and real scenes. I'm honestly fascinated by Shimamura and what made her how she is. She's extremely non-commital and always has a facade. She seems to me like a supremely depressed person just going through the motion atm. The side characters did feel a bit tacked on and only there for fanservice though. I could've done without that.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I remember the leg thing was mostly when certain characters are interacting as if mimicing the characters looking at each other; unlike, let's say, SAO's camera work and its weird butt angles.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

As for the series, I quite enjoyed it. It was slow as molasses at points, but it had some really relatable and real scenes. I'm honestly fascinated by Shimamura and what made her how she is. She's extremely non-commital and always has a facade. She seems to me like a supremely depressed person just going through the motion atm. The side characters did feel a bit tacked on and only there for fanservice though. I could've done without that.

Shimamura does indeed let herself be carried away by the flow of events no matter where it might lead her, however, she isn't a depressed person but an apathetical one, she knows how disinterested she is towards about everything but doesn't feel bad about it, paradoxically, she used to be an energetic kid.

Adachi is quite similar in a much more extreme way though, her world can be summarized by two words : "Shimamura Hougetsu" and nothing else, she doesn't hate others nor feel bad for being as she is too, she just couldn't care less. Shimamura at least understands how important in life socializing with others is, hence her facade.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Shimamura does indeed let herself be carried away by the flow of events no matter where it might lead her, however, she isn't a depressed person but an apathetical one, she knows how disinterested she is towards about everything but doesn't feel bad about it, paradoxically, she used to be an energetic kid.

True, perhaps I'm projecting a bit, but her behaviour and lack of attachment to anything or anyone really reminded me of myself when I dealt with depression. Putting on a face in front of fake friends you really don't care about. That combined with the few scenes near the beginning of the series where she compares friendship to diving and where she says interaction with people is slowly wearing her away but it's preferable to loneliness.

Either way, while I like Adachi as a character better I'm much more interested in Shimamura and why she has this apathetic outlook on life. Some people have mentioned that in the later volumes the focus shifts to Shimamura's thoughts, so here's hoping for a season 2 to delve deeper. Definitely a surprise hit of the season for me.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show, but its definitely best binged rather than watched week to week. The pace is just a bit too slow.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I did not mind the pacing, the big difference I think, is that Ia proached this as a slice of life, cute girls doing cute things work instead of a romantic story; so I always was expecting ti to get nowhere, so with that mindset the pacing was good, even fast; I mean, it took hidamari sketch three seasons to reach a similar point.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:59 am Reply with quote
I don't mind the secondary characters, they were very much necessary to characterize Shimamura and how she differs from Adachi. In Yashiro's case, it was also useful for Adachi, as we could she her getting jeallous and prickly about a kid, which informed a lot about her character and where she comes from.
The other two were mostly for fanservice true, but I think it's important to showcase a relationship with a much healthier dynamic than that of the titular characters. And Tamarin... well, she's a plot device there for the sake of forcing Shimamura to confront Adachi's feeling and her own, instead of delusively handwaving everything.
meiam wrote:
I wonder if it could have worked better as a 10 minutes short, drop most of the side character and tighten up the pacing and it wouldn't feel like such a slog to go trough.

Having watched short series that wanted to be introspective and tackle relatively slow developments, it just doesn't work. They do a fine job advertising what the source is about, but they fail at conveying any feeling on their own.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
There are many complaints that it is a slow romance anime, but there are many romantic animes that are even slower. should you remind them Kimi ni Todoke?

Both girls are very nice and enjoyable to watch, totally different from the feeling that tonikawa's male character left me that was infuriating. Whenever he interacts with his wife, he blushes and stumbles over his words like a cringey middle schooler in love for the first time. But this guy is 18 and married... Confused It is just like any comedy ecchi!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1