• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Animated Series Gets Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:36 am Reply with quote
It becomes more complicated, for what it's worth. Season 1 was kind of the "test" season, since something like Ladybug had never really been done before, but starting with Season 2 there's a greater focus on continuity, a much greater focus on the antagonists, and the status quo evolves continuously.

For some reason, though, the broadcast order, even on Netflix, still likes to pretend it can shuffle the episodes around at random, turning the entire experience into Haruhi Suzumiya Lite.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Maybe will get that anime sometime in the future if the manga is good. But they need to age up the action at least to the teenager level at a minimum.

What's teenager level?

Each episode was the same as the last. The villain just picked a new victim each episode. Rinse and repeat.

Ah, Monster of the Week. Just say MOTW, like Sailor Moon and most other magical girls
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:55 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ah, Monster of the Week. Just say MOTW, like Sailor Moon and most other magical girls

Except Sailor Moon doesn't make you feel like you've lost brain cells watching it. People craving for magical girl shows, particularity non-Japanese magical girl shows, can do so much better than Miraculous.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Except Sailor Moon doesn't make you feel like you've lost brain cells watching it. People craving for magical girl shows, particularity non-Japanese magical girl shows, can do so much better than Miraculous.

Funny ya mention that Laughing

"How Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Ended up My Quarantine Obsession"
Quote:
We all have our ways of coping with being looked up, and apparently mine is getting far too into a show that I only started watching because my kid liked it. That show is Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir and somehow it’s gone from “thing that will keep my daughter’s attention for 20 minutes so I can clean up” to “oh my god this is actually really fun?” But I must ask myself: how did it come to this?

The answer I think is simple: Sailor Moon.

Now, stay with me. I grew up, like a bazillion other people, loving Sailor Moon, and much of the comfort and attraction of that show was in the formula of “monsters of the week” and then the episodes that would occasionally come in to add to the greater mythology and expand the world. It was alternately soothing and intriguing. It also had cool costumes, fun powers, star-crossed lovers, and a great setting in a non-American city. Miraculous has all of those things. I have no doubt this is intentional and to me that’s fine. It’s a new show with new stories, but a familiar feel. Heck, the opening notes of the theme song even sound a little like Sailor Moon‘s!
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Well it must be doing something right if it has a large fanbase and even a new manga coming out. Everyone has their own cup of tea and should be respected for liking it.

I think My Hero Academia is a long boring uninspiring mess but you dont see me going to threads about it and insulting the fans of it by calling it brainless.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
No one has insulted the fans of the show, even though I think the show is for a much younger child crowd, there are things I like about it and I am glad it is getting a manga adaptation. With the hopes that this might in the future, provide an anime series. Hopefully, with an eye for an older demographic.

I love SpongeBob SquarePants, it engaged my mind, and I found it funny. Miraculous simply didn't provide that for me. But it did for you and many others. Nothing wrong or strange about that.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
No one has insulted the fans of the show, even though I think the show is for a much younger child crowd, there are things I like about it and I am glad it is getting a manga adaptation..

The poster clearly said that people who like Miraculous for its magical girl theme can "do much better", which is insulting the people who are fans of the show, but I digress...

IMO, Miraculous is very much like Cardcaptor Sakura. Monster/card of the week plot where the monster/card is not "evil", but is a victim of circumstances/situations, but has little nuances in each episode which further the plot along, which can be very easily missed when not paying attention.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Enjoy the show all you want. All I'm saying is that I don't get how this of all things is as popular and successful as it is compared to similar cartoons that I find do it better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2