• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cells at Work! (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Cells at Work! (TV)
Season 2 - Cells at Work! (TV 2) (discussion starts here)

Genres: adventure, comedy
Themes: biology, human anatomy, science

Plot Summary: The world is a dangerous place for a red blood cell just trying to get her deliveries finished. Fortunately, she's not alone... she's got a whole human body's worth of cells ready to help out. The mysterious white blood cell, the buff and brash killer T cell, the nerdy neuron, even the cute little platelets -- everyone's got to come together if they want to keep you healthy.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Pretty interesting episode. There's definitely some metaphors with the character designs especially the red and white blood cells.

From the first episode, there are certain antagonists that takes the form of bacteria. I'm surprised at how over the top some of the character reactions are though. Their behavior is very human-like. The story imo has a creative premise and really takes advantage of exploring the human body. I'm also impressed at how many body parts are already been shown just from the first episode.

I wonder if every episode's title will feature the monster of the week? This first episode is "Pneumococcus".

Has a lot of potential imo. This could be a dark horse of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
The kindergartener construction workers, platelets, were adorable and fun.

I found the design of the show, pretty likable. It kind of reminded me in some way of Hoozuki, but fresher in a way that show was running out of into its third season.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:17 am Reply with quote
I tried watching this last night, but the player on Crunchyroll’s site decided to freeze every time that I tried to refresh it. Normally, I use the Crunchyroll app on my PC, but for some reason they didn’t have the show available on it yet. Hopefully, they’ll have it up today!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
Currently feel like a possible case study for what happens in the show. Was feeling really cold, have trouble sleeping despite being tiered, needing lots of water, have joint pain, and the overheating. Makes me kind of wonder what the Cells at Work story would be.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Red Blood Cell was really in the wringer this time, some sort of wound had the body hemorrhaging blood, the job of delivering oxygen was incredibly important for the individual, and was looking hopeless, although she was trying not to give up. Not really surprising, but the day was saved by a blood transfusion, that had a funny scene of a bunch of stranger blood cells trying to understand the situation. Did put an interesting turn on the importance of things like blood donation, although as a sin I am probably not much help, due to a fear of needles. Maybe anthropomorphising could have me reconsider at some point.

I do think that this series managed to succeed in a number of ways. It is about something that everyone really can empathise with, our bloodstream, its depictions are charming, it is cute as well as sometimes humorous. Not sure what to think about a lot of the amount of platelet art, although possibly says something I too find them cute and fun to look at. Generally it was really fun, and informative, that really it has been entertaining, including some cool fight scenes.

I give a rating of Very good (8/10), among this season, it was among the don't miss. I have a feeling that this is likely something that is going to be remembered due to its unique and fun setting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:08 am Reply with quote
Looks like Funimation will stream season 2 tomorrow, 2 days ahead of the TV broadcast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:43 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

First episode back starred the Platlets, with special focus on one called Backwards Cap, and introducing their strict mother/master, Megakaryoctye. A bit lighter of an episode, I guess to ease in, but I would say that it at least has some charm with them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:35 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 8 (finale)

This is apparently the end of the second season. The White blood cells got some help from good bacteria in the digestive tract to overcome the bad bacteria, White Blood and the other immunity cells were able to overpower the cancer cell after it stopped receiving nutrients or something, and the normal cell delivered the lactic acid to their homes as he got a good look at the varied bacteria that exist in the digestive tract. Will say that one of the things I found kind of interesting to look at were the opportunistic bacteria like the one that looked like a fox, sort of strange looking like the bad bacteria but also too cute.

A bit of a shorter season, perhaps this all they had left, other than spin-offs. The series is an edutainment piece, so it is meant to be more than just things happen but learning about the body. The characters can otherwise in the face of that be fun to watch regardless, and I would l would like to think maybe I learned a little something. I could have just watched more stories involving platelets, and it kind of felt like Red Blood Cell was kind of rare this season, with I guess the Code Black series taking up more of that part. I might have been interested to see if this series would have done the kidney different.

With rating, it does feel a little hard to separate this from Code Black that has been releasing simultaneously, and somewhat in the face of that, this version does feel a bit less special compared to that one, even if I could just keep watching these characters forever. I rate it Good (7/10), an 8 episode series is often going to feel incomplete, and there is not a whole lot that evolves past what the first series did, just that if you liked the first season, you are probably going to enjoy this one.

To be honest, I also think the show could have done more to remind us what different cells did, such as more than just saying their names in a kind of paused fashion when they came back. I know that could be seen a bit as just repeating stuff that was already made clear, but considering the break between these two series I think some reminders help. The last episode at least felt like it followed up more on the little explanations.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
Seemed pretty clear to me that this was White Blood Cell's season.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if the reason for there only being 8 episodes for the second season has anything to do with the fact that the spin-off series Cells At Work! Code Black was running at the same time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1