• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ensemble Stars Part 1 & 2 Blu-ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I used to play the game from when it first started (I essentially quit last year purely out of not even logging in for daily rewards anymore and needing room on my phone for the games I DO play), so I'm a fan... But I didn't watch the anime. Even though I like the game I don't care about most of the characters and I especially don't care about Trickstar, and the anime is largely about them...

Quote:
There is nothing real about these boys
That's not true... My boy Midori is a depressed, tired and vaguely suicidal boy who gets dragged into things he doesn't want to do and just sighs and says he wants to die. I don't think I've ever seen a character more relatable than him in a gacha series.

RE: The dub, I haven't listened to it but I DID see a clip of how they'd given Nazuna a weird donald duck type voice and boy, that was a bizarre choice. He has a slight lisp in the JP version, and that's how you treat him? I can only wonder what other choices they made.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I used to play the game from when it first started (I essentially quit last year purely out of not even logging in for daily rewards anymore and needing room on my phone for the games I DO play), so I'm a fan... But I didn't watch the anime. Even though I like the game I don't care about most of the characters and I especially don't care about Trickstar, and the anime is largely about them...

Quote:
There is nothing real about these boys
That's not true... My boy Midori is a depressed, tired and vaguely suicidal boy who gets dragged into things he doesn't want to do and just sighs and says he wants to die. I don't think I've ever seen a character more relatable than him in a gacha series.

RE: The dub, I haven't listened to it but I DID see a clip of how they'd given Nazuna a weird donald duck type voice and boy, that was a bizarre choice. He has a slight lisp in the JP version, and that's how you treat him? I can only wonder what other choices they made.

Wasn't the dub outsourced by funimation?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:22 pm Reply with quote
nope, they didn't send it anywhere. Jad Saxton is listed at the lead director with 9 assistant directors
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
nope, they didn't send it anywhere. Jad Saxton is listed at the lead director with 9 assistant directors

Oh yeah, that was definitely the Funimation stable. Some of them may have been putting on voices but there was no mistaking Aaron Dismuke, David Matranga, and so on.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:53 am Reply with quote
I remember watching this and boy, it was a drag. There were probably a lot of reasons why it spent years in development hell and it shows. They tried to cram in a lot of things and it felt like there was no direction to speak of. Characters showing up out of nowhere and me, being the anime-only watcher was like "who are you and why are you here?". There were some good story elements here and there - like Valkyrie's backstory and Ra*bits - but then there were some others like how they didn't know what to do with Anzu until the second half, she was just... there. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I tried to watch this cause I had a friend who was super into the mobile game and I liked the fanart. But man, other than the nice visuals it really felt like it was dragging. Not only were there too many boys to keep track of, but the female lead felt utterly pointless. I know she’s meant to be the Blank slate MC from the game, but WOW did she feel unnecessary. You could cut her out and have other characters do her job, and nothing would’ve changed.

But I watched the Dub, and I didn’t think it was “ear bleeding”-ly bad. Not Funimation’s best, but not their worst either, imo. Just...A basic dub.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:20 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Wasn't the dub outsourced by funimation?

You're thinking of Actors: Song Connection (similar-ish type of show, at least on paper I'm assuming), which was done by Sound Cadence Studio. I only remember that because it was one of the few shows that dubbed the songs on a simuldub schedule, which is pretty noteworthy. Both for the effort put in and how normally that isn't possible due to unavailable materials. Sarazanmai did as well, but that show had way fewer unique numbers.

Also, this was a pretty entertaining read to say the least haha
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote
Regarding the Enstars Anime (subbed and terribly dubbed by funimation)...I'd love to share my thoughts on it, but I would just be writing a novel. I wrote two long reviews on Amazon both on Part 1 and Part 2.

I'm a big fan of the series, and I don't mind dishing the money out for my boys... but Funimation did my boys dirty =(... I would gladly love to leave my thoughts on here, but it'd probably be removed if I did post my heavy opinions. I even sent feedback back to Funimation, to which they didn't respond back. *shrugs*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1