• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Laid-Back Camp (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Loved finding out that the old dude from episode 6 was Rin-chan's grandfather. Drunk sensei was hilarious. Have we seen her at the girls school yet? I'm sure I do nothing but have a goofy smile on my face for the entire episode when I watch this.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
Frankly I've had my fill of the "drunken sensei" stereotype. I think I first saw it in Azumanga Daioh. Wonder how Japanese school teachers feel about the prevalence of this idea in popular Japanese media.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Eh, they're probably too drunk to care.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

A nice, I think the word is brick joke. Where Nadeshiko commented in a quick text message, which itself played funny with the dog bit, but she said she saw a weird car. It seemed likely that the weird car, was probably one of those things that do the google street view. Which worked out really funny in the final act of the episode where we get a shot of Nadeshiko seeming to freak out on street view, with a reaction beyond what was conveyed through her message.

Also, relatable feeling of going through a camping store.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Run for your life!

I really like the how this series feels like it capitalises on what feels like a bunch of jokes between the characters. Like it does not feel the need to spell out and or highlight "this is a joke", but just show them going along with it. Reactions of the characters are just what should be expected instead of something crazy, or too exaggerated.

And, the group camp (+ dog) was worth the wait for the separate stuff up till now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
This show has just been a true gem of the Winter season. Gonna miss it a ton once it's done. I think my favourite bit for the eppie was when Chiaki was whining about wanting to see Mt Fuji (I think) and Aoi told her to stop imitating Nadeshiko.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

I’ll admit it. I cried a bit. Mainly because I really didn’t want to end. Such a comfortable anime and it did it so well that I’ll definitely miss everything about it. That last scene was just a great way to finish it off. I wonder if a second season is possible for this series. Encouragement of Climb has multiple seasons, I wish the same for this as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

The important thing for shows like this, I say, is that they can sell their tone. Especially if they are laid back, because they don't have any tricks of just throwing in excitement to say that it is entertaining they have to completely dedicate you to its pace. The example I might give is Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, that you could appreciate the comfy feeling of going at its slow low key pace, the thing is that a lazy atmosphere is totally not a lazy creation. And, I would say that Laid-Back Camp, totally had it down, they show totally felt like a lazy time at a campsite, just relaxing and having a little fun.

And the way it used things like social networking, of these girls texting each other and sending pictures, I go back to praises I have given to things like Yuri on Ice, where I think that it actually had a handle of what it means at being able to connect these characters, rather than just convenient methods of one character talking to another. I liked how it handled humour, how it could kind of did this thing where it was not just a vacuum of characters being funny, but they would do things like do jokes themselves, and how people would play into them, without having to get too silly. Even if I don't think it the perfect comparison in that regard, and whether it has something to do with the Japanese name being "Yuru Camp", but I am oddly reminded of Yuru Yuri, which I am sure many avoid, but I think has an oddly similar way that the characters interact with each other. Actually, the characters even went camping in the winter Laughing .

But I don't want to just compare to other things, Laid-Back Camp was a very enjoyable watch, that I think having a history with camping can help, but certainly not required. And I would also say it did a reasonably good job at setting its own identity, that it was surprisingly easy to have a good laugh with, like the series itself is a comforting friend. I think that there was how it used this one squeaky sound effect, that often endeared me to its run. I give a rating of Very Good (8/10), don't miss this relaxing run, especially if you want you maybe need a little break. Easy to watch, and easy to keep you entertained. Slice of Life show really do have their value.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I loved this show so much. I give it an Excellent rating because of its humour, its engaging characters and how much I looked forward to a new episode each week. I really hope this gets more seasons. Never mentioned it before, but I really liked the music in the ED.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Damn, I'm going to really miss this show.

The finale featured more camping gags and comedy as usual. However at the same time, it felt like this show really knew how to tackle the idea of camping and turn it into an anime. I love the moments between Rin and Nadeshiko in the finale especially during the night scenes. At the same time, I think it was just nice seeing everyone gathered today with a feel of Christmas spirit.

Some of the comedy like Nadeshiko's hair were also priceless.

The final few moments with setting up the camp is just classic. Going to miss comfy camp.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, comfy camp is back and it's off to yet another wonderful start this season

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, that rice bit feels familiar. As soon as soon as she said it looked right I said that if she did not stir it right it is going to be hard on the bottom. Was an interesting start to go with looking at a Rin who did not know what she was doing in camping.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:21 am Reply with quote
Almost can't believe we are getting this AND Non Non Biyori in the same season. Truly, the Anime Gods are smiling on us. I hope Rin does less solo camping this time and more interacting with the other girls. Looking forward to seeing "Loves Booze" Sensei again, too.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy that this show is back! It was nice to see Rin's first time camping.

I tried reading the manga, but it doesn't have the same COMFY factor as the anime for me. I know that sounds strange, but the voice acting and especially the OST sell the experience for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

That doesn't sound strange to me at all, but then again I am most definitely an "anime first, manga second" kind of guy. Beyond the things you mentioned, I also like the beautiful, color background art that makes this show such a wonderful travelogue promotion for Japan. As for the episode itself, it was nice to see Rin interacting with other girls, even if it wasn't camping. I'd like to see the Outdoor Activities Club get back at it, though. Not sure we'll get that next eppie, because the title seems to suggest it will be about buying some new gear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3