• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SK8 the Infinity (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote

SK8 the Infinity (TV)

Themes: sports

Plot Summary: Reki, a high school sophomore and skater, is addicted to "S," a highly secret and dangerous downhill skateboarding race that takes place in an abandoned mine. The skaters are especially wild about the "beefs," or heated battles that erupt in the races.

Reki takes Langa, a transfer student returning to Japan after studying abroad, to the mine where the races are held. Langa, who has no skateboarding experience, finds himself pulled into the world of "S"...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Epiisode 1

As a Canadian, there is no way I could resist checking out a show where one of the main characters is from Canada. References to Canada are pretty rare in anime. As it turns out, so far I like this show. It's not doing anything amazing but it's just kind of fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:01 am Reply with quote
Epispde 2

I was not really impressed with the first episode, it just did not really give me much of an impression, and I spent most of my attention elsewhere while watching.

But episode 2 totally flipped it for me, maybe I was not paying enough attention in the first episode, but I really liked the skater culture on display in the second episode. Admittedly as a geek I have not much of an actual connection to it, but as a 90s kid there is a certain element that came with the likes of playing Tony Hawk on the Playstation and stuff. it is an element that was put into the Splatoon game series that made me fall in love with the atmosphere, and made me think Nintendo dropped the ball on not making an anime or something.

I was kind of worried that it might be a bit shallow with its stuff in the first episode, but the second episode, it just felt a bit more genuine that it has gone up on my list of shows to watch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I burst out laughing after getting a good look at Adam's outfit, it was so ridiculous as some sort of mix of business man with masked bullfighter, and I can't tell if it is supposed to be serious or not. I kind of hope it is not serious, I just want all the characters in this show to be goofballs maybe for a bit can play the part of serious, and in the end could all be mates. That sort of thing seems helped by noticing that the ED seems to show all of them attempting tricks and failing.

The kid really introduced in this episode, Miya, who used to have friends that apparently all got jealous and turned their back on him because they thought he looked down on them. Really looked like it was a them problem, and I mostly hope he could be friends with the principle duo, unless they do a him needing to make up with his old friend. He probably should not have played into the hero and slime thing. But I did like that Reki stood up to defend Miya's honor to not make fun of him just because he lost.

Also like Langa's bits, his personality grew on me, like how he called out Reki for using the wrong English letter ("L" instead of "R"), and apparently covering for a backhanded comment by saying he used English instead.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
Man, I loved this show from Ep 1, but the more I watch, the more I love it! It is slaying on the cool and hot visuals, the skating is SO fun to watch, even if you know it couldn't possibly actually work like that for real, right? Going that speed you're not going to nail that swing to cross a break in a rail, but in this format it's thrilling!

I like all the characters, the colorful in personality and style skaters and watchers. I'm also anxious to see more of Adam...the cool business man by day and legendary and over-the-top skater extraordinaire in a mask by night...with a dreamy voice (thank you Takehito Koyasu)

The relationship between Langa and Reki is still a treat, I love how they really seem like such good friends already. The support Reki gives in advice and building unique boards for the former snowboarder Langa seems genuine and fun to watch, I like that there isn't jealousy between them as Langa is causing a stir in the 2 races he's had (and won), just sincere support so far.

This show makes me want to skateboard. I won't, I'd likely seriously hurt myself and I don't wanna take time off work or have surgery anytime soon, but it makes me think I could. Probably because even after I watched Langa fall and slide much too far on his knees while following Miya he never complained about bloody knees or ripped jeans. I literally winced for him and rubbed my knees...lol. Just a fun show, one I never expected to like as much as I am.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote
The Canuck-Japanese dude for the win! This is a super fun show, for sure. I'm not interested in skate boarding culture on its own, but the material is making that world very watchable.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote

Oh-Em-Gee...This episode had my heart pumping...that race!

Hearing about Adam's bad reputation got the excitement/nerves up for this race, and seeing him skate was a treat! The "dancing" He and Reki looked like they were doing while skating downhill at breakneck speeds was exhilarating, and even more so as Reki's head came so close to the pavement at one point I was practically covering my eyes.

The fact that Adam wants to skate with Langa has me looking forward to what that could look like, and the fact that 2 other seasoned and amazing skaters want to challenge Adam as well and apparently have some set stakes, at least from Cherry Blossom has me looking forward to learning more about their complex relationships from friends and rivals to whatever it is now...frenemies?

This show really does a great split of background character development, learning about people as well as watching them learn and hone new skills and watching them fall (a lot) and the exciting racing itself. I liked that Miya stuck around and is helping Reki with skills to race since Reki is basically doing this for Miya's honor (an apology from Adam) I can't believe how much I look forward to this ridiculous and fun show.
Saturday Funimation def has two of my favorite anime this season!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:08 am Reply with quote
It certainly was a good episode.

I don't know if it had used the track before, but there was on song when they were skating, when Reki decided not to give up, that I just thought was fantastic. Up until Adam just started to devastate him.

Also cool how Miya and they roped shadow into it.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote

This latest episode was somehow even better than the previous in my opinion. I could really gush and effuse on this show, but I'll refrain a bit...

Getting to see the OG skaters that started "S" now, getting to hear a bit more about their past and see them outside of the trappings of skateboarding was great, still wished for more of that, but I could eat this world up, I want it all, the history as well as the present generation challenging them. Hearing them break down a bit of Adam's special move and how to perhaps counter it was interesting and seeing how fast the genius that is Langa "Snow" picks up abilities is awesome. He is truly a prodigy.

The race itself left me breathless again. I was in awe and laughing at the start when Adam was about to pull his same 'wait and smoke a cig' at the beginning, but Snow also didn't start, waiting for Adam to actually race...and Adam apologized for being rude.
I loved that even though it seemed Adam could break far away from Snow, he wouldn't as it wouldn't be fun...it wouldn't be love. Oh Gosh, the skate "dancing", the excitement, the homoeroticism of it...The move where Snow appeared to have wings was all done SO stylishly, and of course the glimpses he saw of something different, a new dimension opening up to him...I can't wait for more...

The police breaking things up at the end and hearing that they've somehow never had a problem before because of Adam's connections or something was also interesting. This must mean the race will have to be finished another day when Snow has yet more experience under his belt...how will this race end? Do I even care? I'm here for it all however it ends. Which I'm already a bit sad that it will eventually end, I wanna keep watching this show and these skateboarders forever.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:11 am Reply with quote
I would say the show would have been incomplete if they never had to run from police from breaking up a dangerous illegal race.

I do wonder if the injury from earlier received is what put the police in, but it is probably the women that seemed to act badly when she heard that Adam had a date.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

This episode was pretty gay, right? We had two guys in a love hotel. But mostly that super intimate stuff between Reki and Langa, which I still would have been surprised, but not incredibly so if they suddenly kissed.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 10

This episode was pretty gay, right? We had two guys in a love hotel. But mostly that super intimate stuff between Reki and Langa, which I still would have been surprised, but not incredibly so if they suddenly kissed.

Yeah, that making up finally between Reki and Langa was some pretty sweet stuff. Finally! I really like them together better than apart...and clearly they have discovered that too. It was great to hear Reki finally conclude that having fun skating with Langa was what he really needed. <3

But I kinda feel like every episode is pretty gay in some way even if not overtly.
Reki in the love hotel with Tadashi though was pretty funny. and didn't he leave the room with all that cash sitting on the bed?! I swear that envelope was still sitting there and Tadashi left first.

I really wish we'd get more about him and ADAM, it certainly seems like an unrequited love from Tadashi to ADAM, how painful it must be for him to watch ADAM look for a new Eve when he's right there! Is this servant class thing really such a big deal that it keeps them apart? Anime cry His awful upbringing really did a number on him.

I love that we've got to see Miya healed a bit and making friends, and Reki and Langa and on a good path with each other again, and Cherry and Joe have each other, and Shadow was hit protecting the flower shop owner he adores so she'll probably feel so much warmer to him leaving him in good shape, but poor ADAM seems so far from emotionally healthy yet, I can't imagine it will happen in the time we have left. I'm not usually one that cares too hard about happy endings, but I really want that for ALL these boys.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

The episode kind of finished on Adam being kind of looked as pitiful for how alone he is. It was great that even though Adam won the race, everyone's attention was on Reki for hanging in there so hard and putting up such a fight.

But also that people started to laugh at Adam after he tripped, which is not just for the simple reason of tripping, for instance the ED is filled with everyone of the cast failing at a trick and getting hurt, with Adam kind of being the exception. It has been that Adam has put in such an effort to create this perfect image of a skater, who just dances around brutalises the other skaters, that it is funny to see him brought down to human in tripping. Also that Adam seems to have no sense of humour over the whole thing, and there was not all anything cool about how angry he was to rampage on and just barely win.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

A good ending. Langa won, but it came second to Langa teaching Adam again that fun is what is important, not beating your opponent like a skateboard to the face. I will want to also point to things like the ending bit showing things like Reki teaching his younger siblings to skate. The skate course was brilliantly absurd, cliffs at least giving a feeling of being over spikes, with I think that I would describe a blue light effect that gave the impression of that ghostly look. Well set up at the start of the episode when Adam was looking for a new outfit while being asked if he was going to a wedding, and you just knew he was saying that it was a funeral instead.

This show was super fun, I love its dedication to its aesthetic, and it is because it kind of seems like an aesthetic that has been forgotten a bit, or at least skate culture is less of a focus now, and it is not exactly something you might automatically think of with Japan. I have to make some comparisons to a similar sports subculture that has been a thing also during its run, the Wave anime that was about surfing, there are some comparable parts to the subcultures and what the shows might have tried to do. Wave did try to include things like its aesthetic, having a guy with a ukulele , but was nowhere near as successful as Sk8 was, with the sort of tracks that would have felt right at home with playing some Tony Hawk on PlayStation, or some early 2000s movie with skateboarding. Just found the song on YouTube, it is called Seize The Moment. Doing atmosphere right can be difficult, but when it is done right, you know it.

It is not like this show is what you would call incredibly deep or something, but its fun and that is kind of what can be important. My rating is going to be Very good (8/10), which might be a little high, but it is such an experience as its own thing that I think that it should not be missed. Perhaps if other shows came out that did something similar, it might make it less of a must watch, but as of now it is not.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I was so pleased with this ending. It didn't feel rushed at all, and it felt like a lot was packed into it.

I too loved ADAM looking for a new tailored outfit for his race, and I was also certain he was saying funeral before we even saw the tomb monument start to race, his costume or the new coffin shaped skateboard. When he transformed it into a cross shaped skateboard during the race, I was thinking then, it's going to be ok...that symbol of resurrection and hope, especially as I waited until last night (Easter) to watch it, made me sure that somehow before the end it would be OK for them all, including ADAM. And I think it was, I think ADAM had that spirit of friendship rekindled with Tadashi and ADAM telling him he'd be his for life didn't feel as domineering as it could have as the reaction from Tadashi was joyful at this instead of offended. I really wanted the happy ending for them all, and was pleased with what we got.

Langa and Reki however continued to be the shinning example of friendship and believing in each other always and doggonnit they are so freaking cute together! The scenes with them looking at skateboards or talking in the backseat together, or waiting on the sidelines cheering each other on are all heartwarming. The skateboarding is undeniably fun but the relationships make this show. 10/10 from me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1