• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actress: Western Release of Persona 5 Strikers Game Was Delayed Due to COVID-19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dameonstarflame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. I watch Max (Ryuji), Ray (Noctis of FFXV, Train Station Announcer Male in P5), and Robbie's (Akechi) livestream group and when Robbie was solo livestreaming for a bit shortly after lockdowns went into play he mentioned being the only one of the trio with a home recording studio. So I knew Max would have been out for a while until he got a home setup, at the minimum.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lady Ann

Someone's channeling Morgana. Laughing

Yeah, we talk a lot about anime voice actors struggling to build home studios or getting to smaller private studios to avoid travel, but so far that hasn't had a huge impact on releases where we're used to things happening when they happen. Video games are a little different, we're more likely to notice when they're delayed, especially when companies are completely silent about reasons. Just glad it's actually happening and wasn't canceled for being "last generation".

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I love how Ann is "Lady Ann" when she has an actual full name Razz.

I think most people figured the delay in release was because localizing and recording the dub was difficult under quarantine. The recording for 13 Sentinels was apparently really hectic once they had to go into quarantine and record from home.

Ironically I think they were able to get into the studio and actually record together (because of some new recording method PCB came up with) for the anime.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
The recording was delayed. Did they say anything about this delaying the game itself?
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
The recording was delayed. Did they say anything about this delaying the game itself?

I mean...it stands to reason that it would. If they cant record, then the game isnt complete, game isnt complete, they cant release it.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe in the future they can avoid waiting months after the Japanese release to work on the English release so these kinds of things don't happen.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
merr wrote:

I mean...it stands to reason that it would. If they cant record, then the game isnt complete, game isnt complete, they cant release it.

We don’t know how much of a buffer the schedule had, what the original release plans were, or anything. It’s reasonable to conclude the game may have been delayed, but that’s not what the actors actually said. The article headline is misleading.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Maybe in the future they can avoid waiting months after the Japanese release to work on the English release so these kinds of things don't happen.

Sure tell the Japanese publishers to not do things like use any real musicians from Japan to perform songs specifically for the games or other things that have caused Japanese published games to get exported to the west.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Florete wrote:

Sure tell the Japanese publishers to not do things like use any real musicians from Japan to perform songs specifically for the games or other things that have caused Japanese published games to get exported to the west.

Other AAA publishers get their games out to international markets in a timely manner. Atlus can, too.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:

Other AAA publishers get their games out to international markets in a timely manner. Atlus can, too.

Except some of those other AAA publisher's tend to have more money behind them than Atlus does. They also don't tend to have various hurdles to cross that can cause their games to come out at least a year later elsewhere behind the domestic release,......or not at all *cough* 3DS version of DragonQuest XI
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:40 am Reply with quote
No surprise. I watched Cassandra's prior video about recording from home, and she mentioned that this was one of several games she recorded entirely from home. She had also mentioned that depending on the studio, a recording setup would be moved around to different actors, which takes time, or they would record on their own equipment, but most only had basic setups for things like auditions, so the actors had to get set up too. Some games, like 13 Sentinels, it sounds like the studios waited as long as they could to see if things improved to where they could record in the studio, but eventually publishers didn't want to wait. Slowly making progress is understandable, but a wait and see approach, probably not.

From what Cassandra described, getting set up to record from home was relatively expensive, but the alternative was going to be not working at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1