• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The King of Fighters XV Game's Trailer Reveals 2021 Launch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
ArcSys has raised the bar so high for fighting games that I don't think KOF will even come close visually.

I hope the game's mechanics are at least top quality.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:36 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
ArcSys has raised the bar so high for fighting games that I don't think KOF will even come close visually.

I hope the game's mechanics are at least top quality.

Plus you have realize KoF had been more about quantity in its roster over graphic quality. They tried that with XII and XIII and really disappointed some fans. So far it looks they might found a happy balance between style and roster size. Let's hope

Edit: Surprised ANN missed the announcement of the animated short by Obari. That's a pretty big deal.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
SNK has 0 history of being a graphics powerhouse, so I have no idea where this idea came from that suddenly KOF XV was going to have visuals that would overheat PS5's.

Personally, I think the game looks great. The characters look like themselves again, & that alone goes a long way. Also, as we saw once again in 2020, you don't need cutting edge AAA visuals to be a top rated & beloved game.

And yes, getting Masami Obari back to do a KOF short is massive. That got me as excited as the XV reveal itself.

Looking forward to the gameplay trailer which will hopefully go against tradition & drop before TWIG.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
[SNK has 0 history of being a graphics powerhouse

Art Of Fighting 3? Last Blade? Garou: MOTW?

SNK has a history of flexing the 2D harder than anybody else in the 90s. Only Capcom comes close.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I think that is meant in the sense of them having the most up to date, cutting edge 3D computer graphics.

This does definitely look better than XIV, although you may have to go look it up directly to be sure - because it still feels like they just caught up to Street Fighter IV at this point. Some models definitely faired better than others. I do hope it looks a bit more convincing in matches.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I think that is meant in the sense of them having the most up to date, cutting edge 3D computer graphics.

A 2D fighting game with 3D graphics is just blasphemy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1