• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Flag Manga Ranks in YALSA's Top 10 Graphic Novels for Teens

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GainaxFanboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:32 pm Reply with quote
It has one of the worst endings in manga I have ever read
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:13 am Reply with quote
I would've liked the ending, except it just ended up there with no explanation as to how and why, even though with that relationship that would've been the interesting part...
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder how much of that was editorial interference. Like someone upstairs decided "oh, you can't show that in Jump" and pulled the plug. Blue Flag was KAITO's longest manga to date, and it ended right as it seemed to be transitioning to a third act.

There are a couple hints in the chapters leading up to it that you can catch once you know how everything turns out, but there was almost certainly meant to be a more natural progression.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I can't help but wonder how much of that was editorial interference. Like someone upstairs decided "oh, you can't show that in Jump" and pulled the plug. Blue Flag was KAITO's longest manga to date, and it ended right as it seemed to be transitioning to a third act.

There are a couple hints in the chapters leading up to it that you can catch once you know how everything turns out, but there was almost certainly meant to be a more natural progression.

This manga wasn't published in any magazine, only on the web, so I don't know - there could have been editorial interference, but to me it actually didn't look like it was about to open a new arc, it was kind of like those stories that do a huge drama part where everything is mostly straightforward, but the writer is not quite ready to get into the follow-up that is a lot more complicated, murky, and less OTT dramatic. That said, Jump certainly has content guidelines, so. I wonder what would have happened if it was published under a different label (Weekly Shounen Sunday's Kunisaki Izumo certainly didn't shy away from the Sae/Izumo romance.)
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Witch Hat Atelier is a Kodansha Comics title.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
GainaxFanboy wrote:
It has one of the worst endings in manga I have ever read

I think you're talking about beastars Laughing .

The ending isn's so bad, Taichi was bisexual, that you haven't seen it is you're problem. The problem with the final is the lack of development to the relationship with Touma.
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:26 am Reply with quote
Maleko Ai wrote:
The ending isn's so bad, Taichi was bisexual, that you haven't seen it is you're problem. The problem with the final is the lack of development to the relationship with Touma.
It wasn't really undeveloped, though. spoiler[Basically all of the "dates" depicted were between Taichi and Touma, with most of the Taichi and Futaba stuff happening either off-page or simply "never working out," as she mentions in the final chapter.] What those moments actually mean for the long-term is deliberately obfuscated by genre trappings.

Taken as a whole, the work is a commentary on heterosexism, and how society forces boys and girls into specific roles with each other that only make in harder for them to process their own connections. (So really, the whole thing just needed more Mami.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1