• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - Feburary 9th - 15th

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedTail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
Canuckian wrote:
I don't think Death Note is getting bad ratings in Canada, heck, YTV, aired a marathon of the show on New Years, which essentially says the show must being doing alright. I don't think it's doing tremendously well, but it isn't bombing either.

Supernatural/pscyhological/mystery thrillers don't seem to appeal to the Adult Swim viewing audience. Paranoia Agent is in the same genre and bombed as well.

Formulaic shonen, space operas, and comedies that an American audience can actually digest all seem more in line with their tastes. So long as it's one of those three and the animation isn't dated, people generally watch. It's a shame.
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
...what the?

There's an update for IFC Canada's airing of VBS, including episodes 3 & 4 on Friday Feb. 15 at 8pm EST.

http://www.ifctv.ca/schedule/default.asp?dateDelta=5&scheduleTime=evening

Repeat of Eps. 1 & 2:
Tuesday, Feb. 12- 11am EST & 5pm EST

(Link will be outdated by the next day, just FYI)
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Anobe wrote:
...what the?

There's an update for IFC Canada's airing of VBS, including episodes 3 & 4 on Friday Feb. 15 at 8pm EST.

http://www.ifctv.ca/schedule/default.asp?dateDelta=5&scheduleTime=evening

Repeat of Eps. 1 & 2:
Tuesday, Feb. 12- 11am EST & 5pm EST

(Link will be outdated by the next day, just FYI)

THAT explains it. I noticed on Friday (i.e. two days ago) on my programming menu that IFC Canada had something running as 'Virus', but the description falsely pulled up info about the movie by that name starring Jamie Lee Curtis, despite the fact that clearly this was two half-hour programs.

So that must've been the debut of episodes 1 and 2.

Oh, also, it seems this programming block didn't debut with 'Blood: The Last Vampire,' but instead even earlier than that with a repeat run of 'Macross Plus.'
GospelX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
In order to attract viewers to anime series on Cartoon Network, they need to start airing flashier, more ADD-oriented anime at a more accessible time. Let's face it, Adult Swim is amazing for what it does, but I think anime on the network did best at the late afternoon time slot. Sure, it required that a censored version of series be aired in that case, but people who like these shows end up buying the DVDs (hopefully). Anime on the network needs to be made more accessible if it is to be viewed. I miss Toonami.

Death Note is a special case that's hard to sell, though. There's a whole lot of nothing going on, and its a show that focuses in on a god-complexed antagonist. And, quite frankly, I think the story is boring up until the memory erasure - but that doesn't last long enough for me. It was actually destined to do poorly in this market. There aren't enough screaming fangirls willing to stay up past their bedtimes to watch this dub.

But, in short, if Gundam SEED couldn't salvage that time slot, then Death Note didn't even have a shot in the dark.

Honestly, the best series to put into such a time slot would be a quirky action-comedy with stand-alone episodes. Or at least very few episodes that are continuous in nature.

Of course, I really just want a show like Gurren Lagann on the network, but I feel like that would fall flat without the right kind of advertising behind it.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
I didn't care much for DN off the start, but stuck with it and am now forced to suffer through the week between since catching up on my backlog of recorded episodes.

vtnwesley wrote:
Wow. someone thought to run Shinesman? Weird choice, but I'm glad.

It's always great when the networks decide to run the "so bad it's funny" shows.

Quote:
So let it be known that I, Brian Hanson, find these first few filler episodes to be, all told, not that bad.

THESE are the filler episodes? I figured that atrocious fashback arc stuck in the middle of a fight was what everybody complained about.

More importantly, am I the only one who really cannot tolerate the new opening theme? I think my revulsion is in large part because it seems nearly identical thematically, both the music and lyrics, to CN's damn "Fall" theme (that for some reason they are still using in mid-February.)
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't know ratings history, but I doubt that AS is ever going to really do spectacularly. I'm assuming it's target audience is roughly college-age people (especially guys) who don't have (or want) to get up Sunday morning for religious services and instruction anymore and also don't have kids yet. SNL and MAD probably have this audience pretty much locked between them.

If Death Note is doing bad even considering that, that's not a good omen for those of us who like anime with more mature storylines.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Brian,Bakugan Battle Brawlers will premiere on Cartoon Network on, Sunday, Feb. 24, at 9 p.m.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
I don't know ratings history, but I doubt that AS is ever going to really do spectacularly. I'm assuming it's target audience is roughly college-age people (especially guys) who don't have (or want) to get up Sunday morning for religious services and instruction anymore and also don't have kids yet. SNL and MAD probably have this audience pretty much locked between them.

If Death Note is doing bad even considering that, that's not a good omen for those of us who like anime with more mature storylines.

Actually [as] does quite well in the ratings. It's anime that doesn't do well.
Elahrairah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
What about Samurai Champloo?

PVR didn't record last week, and I don't see it listed here....wonder what happened to it.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

THESE are the filler episodes? I figured that atrocious fashback arc stuck in the middle of a fight was what everybody complained about.
Well, everybody does complain about the stupidly long Sasuke flashback, yes, but the fillers are AFTER the fight, i.e. where we are now.

The problem is that these fillers are 85 episodes long.

And they get so so so much worse than these. He's right, these first few filler episodes, in the grand scheme of things, are not THAT bad. But just wait. A whole new world of pain is on the horizon.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Elahrairah wrote:
What about Samurai Champloo?

PVR didn't record last week, and I don't see it listed here....wonder what happened to it.
If you're talking about Saturdays on Adult Swim, it no longer runs there. Champloo will instead be moving over to weeknights in Eureka's 1:30 am slot in a few weeks after Eureka seveN completes its repeat run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2