• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Godzilla vs. Kong Film's Release Date Moved Up to March 26

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:54 am Reply with quote
Two months till the movie appears and still no trailer
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I agree that it’s odd. Even if we account for the fact that they don’t need convince people to drive to the theatre to see the film it would still make sense to release a trailer online to generate some prerelease buzz.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah it can even be a short like 1 minute teaser and that's all you would need to hype it up. I just hope they don't focus too much on the human parts. It worked for the first one (Godzilla reboot) up until they started the love interest part andspoiler[ killed the Dad] but killed the second movie along with other things. Skull Island was a great turn off your brain and eat popcorn flick.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
It is a bit of an irony that king of monsters had so much promotion done to it that it pretty much revealed the entire movie plot and they definitely went way over-budget for it but for this one it pretty much had no promotional material at all.
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:56 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Yeah it can even be a short like 1 minute teaser and that's all you would need to hype it up. I just hope they don't focus too much on the human parts. It worked for the first one (Godzilla reboot) up until they started the love interest part andspoiler[ killed the Dad] but killed the second movie along with other things. Skull Island was a great turn off your brain and eat popcorn flick.

Yeah, I'm disappointed with the lack of trailers as well. That said, I still infinitely prefer the second one and hate the first one, mostly because that movie felt almost ashamed to show the monster fights until the very very last 10 minutes and before that it wasn't a good movie. People defend the first one having better human characters until spoiler[the dad dies], but people seem to forget that happens spoiler[really early in the movie. He was barely in it.] Also, Ken Watanabe had better things to do in the 2nd one than spout one-liners about how much he loves Godzilla.

So yeah, if this is more of the second one and less of the first, I'm all in. I went to a kaiju movie, I expect some kaiju action.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:34 am Reply with quote
The Reason for the lack of trailers is that a lot of the Marketing Staff at Warner Bros was let go during the Pandemic.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
The Reason for the lack of trailers is that a lot of the Marketing Staff at Warner Bros was let go during the Pandemic.

Not surprising. AT&T cut everywhere they could to save a few pennies.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
People defend the first one having better human characters until spoiler[the dad dies], but people seem to forget that happens spoiler[really early in the movie. He was barely in it.]

Actually no. This is cited as the primary problem, since all the other issues stem from this creative decision. In fact, Bryan Cranston tried to get the script changed, but the movie was too far along in production.

As for this movie, more Skull Island & less King of the Monsters please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1