• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:03 am Reply with quote
It was quite odd to see Sesshoumaru hide is daughters away for their protection in one scene and then moments later, see him act indifferent as that very same forest is burned to the ground...

The introduction of the gold and silver pearls seemed pretty lazy too imo.

Seeing Moroha being left with the wolf tribe was a nice cameo though and does fit her personality, so I at least have to give points there.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
My main issue with Sesshomaru’s actions was that he straight up lied to Rin, Kagome and Sango about why he was separating *new born babies* from their mother right after birth. All the theories of why he lied or what he was planning to do to protect Rin as well are theories. The canon text is that he swooped in, took the newborns, and claimed he was doing it for some BS “test of courage.” Then he left the newborns alone on the ground in the forest without any caretaker or food source (but they had a magic barrier, so...yay?).

"This Jaken shall fulfill the role of their caretaker and raise them in Rin's place."
Direct quote from that scene in the episode. (Now, I'll entirely grant you that trusting Jaken to raise anyone is another matter.)

Ok, that’s a little better—I misunderstood that line as Jaken saying he would reunite the twins with Rin (...eventually?). But it would have been a lot better if Sesshomaru would have left the twins in Jaken’s arms, rather than on the ground. And nothing in that scene absolves Sesshomaru from lying. What makes it more a character flaw than a plot contrivance was that the writing could have made up a “magic” reason that Sesshomaru couldn’t tell the truth for everyone’s protection, but they didn’t, at least not one that was stated in-episode.

No matter how you slice it, Rin’s treatment in this episode was tragic. And Inuyasha and Kagome didn’t fare much better.

Key wrote:

As has been pointed out by others, Sesshomaru didn't "raise her like a daughter."

I’ll respect the rules not to bring up age of consent, but can I ask that people who don’t have a problem with the ship respect the opinions of people who may be bothered by it? Particularly this point—while it’s technically true that the events of the first series happened over a few months, the series ran for years. (There’s also the claim that Takahashi wasn’t a fan of the ship while the original was being published, although I’m not sure the source. But if anime producers have gotten Takahashi to change her mind, I look forward to the “Ranma gets Pregnant!” Ranma 1/2 sequel!* Wink Laughing )

(*For non-trolling purposes: yes, it’s a joke based on how Takahashi did not like to be asked about whether female Ranma could get pregnant )
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:34 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

(There’s also the claim that Takahashi wasn’t a fan of the ship while the original was being published, although I’m not sure the source. But if anime producers have gotten Takahashi to change her mind, I look forward to the “Ranma gets Pregnant!” Ranma 1/2 sequel!* Wink Laughing )

The full story that I gathered was that initially Rumiko hated the ship as just the sick fetish of lolicons, but eventually she came around after reading some of the more tasteful fanfics available where essentially the same thing happens with Rin and Sess as it likely did in canon. That being Sess let Rin live life largely without him and after she grew up she could choose to be with him or not, and she of course chose the former.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Nothing to add to the whole Sesshomaru and Rin thing, it was pretty obvious from the get-go. You think they'd try to write a more compelling story/believable relationship so people could more easily get on-board with it but lol.
Quote:
...Since it was up to Grampyasha the Great Dog Demon and Kirinmaru to explode it back in the good old days, Inuyasha and Sesshomaru have to do it now. Kagome basically accepts this sight unseen, and so the two brothers shuffle off to fix this cataclysmic problem that is totally a real thing that has always existed in this universe.

Isn't this like the third time Grandpappy left problems for one or both of his sons to eventually deal with? There was Ryūkotsusei the sealed up dragon & that haunted sword/Takemaru of Setsuna (I forgot the details) from the third movie where both brothers had to team up or something.

Also, Koga and his tribe raising Mohora is legit the funniest thing because yeah, Inuyasha would absolutely hate that hahaha
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I agree with Minos_Kurumada, the episode was horrible. It actually made me angry. Not because of Sesshomaru/Rin, I was expecting that. But the was Sesshomaru acted—taking newborns away from their mother with no explanation. He was in a room with *women who had faced and survived demon threats multiple times in the past*. There was no curse on the information, making him unable to speak about why he needed to hide the twins. He could have and should have told them—or they should have demanded to know. The tears on Rin’s face as she made excuses for him doing a traumatic injustice to her and her children made me so angry. It reminded me of women who desperately make excuses for abusive partners, tragic, heartbreaking, infuriating.
And then I went on Twitter and saw fans defending him?! Grrr!
If the purpose of this episode was to make us think that Sesshomaru deserves to die, mission accomplished. If it was to explain away his behavior because he has a “stoic nature” and make us think the formally capable female characters (Sango, Kagome) are less capable because they became moms, the show can burn.

Yeah, this show can officially go to hell for all sorts of reasons. This is the Dragon Ball GT of Inuyasha, except GT never made me actively hate the characters. Might as well wait for its equivalent of Super to get rid of all the trash elements.
murgleis1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I actually loved all of the plot developments. And we all knew Rin was gonna get wtih Sesshy one day - she's clearly loved him in a romantic sense ever since she was little, and seeing as he doesn't age, it's a relationship that makes sense given some context.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
People are allowed to be grossed out by gross things guys. It doesn't matter if they drop the show over it, or continue watching in spite of it, etc. No one is stopping you from continuing to watch it. You don't need to somehow prove it's not gross to everyone else in order to keep watching.

That is a straw man. No one is saying you have to like the show. Some people just don't agree with your opinion that the show is gross. And feel annoyed when events in the show are either, intentionally or unintentionally, misrepresented to make it seem grosser than it actually is. People aren't obliged to just agree with you or shut up.

What people are against though. Is the harassment, death threats, and doxxing that have become rampant from people that are angry with the show. The Inuyasha tag on tumblr has become unusable because of all the death threats being posted in it. That is a tactic called suicide baiting an attempt to induce people with suicidal tendencies into killing themselves. That might not affect you. But for people with suicidal tendencies that can cause them to commit suicide. There are also people either threating to doxx the shows creators or pushing people to call Sunrise to get the shows creators fired.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
MetalEmolga7 wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
People are allowed to be grossed out by gross things guys. It doesn't matter if they drop the show over it, or continue watching in spite of it, etc. No one is stopping you from continuing to watch it. You don't need to somehow prove it's not gross to everyone else in order to keep watching.

That is a straw man. No one is saying you have to like the show. Some people just don't agree with your opinion that the show is gross. And feel annoyed when events in the show are either, intentionally or unintentionally, misrepresented to make it seem grosser than it actually is. People aren't obliged to just agree with you or shut up.

What people are against though. Is the harassment, death threats, and doxxing that have become rampant from people that are angry with the show. The Inuyasha tag on tumblr has become unusable because of all the death threats being posted in it. That is a tactic called suicide baiting an attempt to induce people with suicidal tendencies into killing themselves. That might not affect you. But for people with suicidal tendencies that can cause them to commit suicide. There are also people either threating to doxx the shows creators or pushing people to call Sunrise to get the shows creators fired.

And what'dya know, my post said nothing about me having to like it! Or that I had to keep or stop watching it based on how I find this one choice! It's almost like you're arguing with a point I didn't make. Like some sort of man... made of straw... that is also somehow encouraging suicide? Seriously dude. Re-read what I wrote. It's really hard to take these kind of over the top defenses seriously at all when you're projecting that hard over it.
RR529

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't have strong feelings about SessRin either way, but as a big fan of the original it does kind of irk me that they technically had kids before InuYasha & Kagome.

The original series was largely built around their romance, and it just feels wrong that for plot reasons (having all the kids the same age), they had to arbitrarily wait around for 4-6 years to start a family of their own to accommodate SessRin happening at the same time (a pairing, that while it does have it's very vocal fans, I can't imagine the vast majority of InuYasha fans being on pins & needles waiting for it to finally happen, even if they're not technically against it). It really feels like prioritizing a certain niche of the fan base, rather than the fan base as a whole.

I understand that Sesshomaru himself was apparently the single most popular character in the original show, but if they wanted to shift the focus to him in the new series, they should have made it more directly about him. Maybe have 3 mini-arcs across the show, the first covering his childhood & shedding more light on Inu No Taisho's rule (with new info about Inu's childhood as an aside), the second about him cementing his own reputation in the demon world & meeting Jaken (maybe introduce some sort of rival or adversary for later use), a couple stand alone episodes to recap his growth through the original series & animate the Root Head one shot for completion sake, and finally the last arc could be about him & Rin developing romantically, with the previously mentioned adversary showing up again to interfere (Since Rin lives in Kaede's village, this would still give us a look into the other character's married lives, and InuKag wouldn't have had to hold back their own family for plot reasons. Heck, maybe their own family could play a part in Rin realizing what it is she wants to be with Sesshomaru).
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
It was quite odd to see Sesshoumaru hide is daughters away for their protection in one scene and then moments later, see him act indifferent as that very same forest is burned to the ground...

The introduction of the gold and silver pearls seemed pretty lazy too imo.

Seeing Moroha being left with the wolf tribe was a nice cameo though and does fit her personality, so I at least have to give points there.

Rumor mill says Sesshomaru was forced to not act or he'd give away what he has planned. He knows Zero wants the girls dead and he already elabroately planned to protect his family under her nose and all. So he's trying to act the part of going along with his demon "friends", but I think since the pearls were in their eyes, he knew they'd do something to get away so he wasn't too worried.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that’s right, we’re all a bunch of lake trout and Yashahime (Riku) is the fisherman dipping in all the juicy and delicious flashback chum.
Would be great if the story could get us to tune in without crutching on it’s tasty bait.
Guess that’s why we’re getting a Moroha episode next up.

Quote:
Hell, it kind of says something that my main complaints about this episode aren't even centered on how it is now confirmed that Sesshomaru and Rin made the sex together as husbando and waifu.

This is a gross and stupid development that I do not like, true, but I've resigned myself to dealing with it since Yashahime premiered. There's no use complaining any more than I already have, so let it be known that every review I write from here on out will contain the implicit criticism that I am one hundred percent against Rin's turn as Seshomaru's puppy mama.

This handwringing over these two will never not come off as hysterical, and devoid of any critical thinking or nuance. Anyone that has spent more than ten seconds digesting that development knows that A. It makes perfect sense and B. Is perfectly acceptable, despite not being ideal for the 21st century standards and sensibilities. If we’re not supposed to be having a big ethical debate shit show down here, it would help if users didn’t keep saying “ew gross and disgusting blah blah blah” without substantiating themselves.

Atleast it’s not even nearly as potentially egregious as say the backstory of Tohru Honda’s parents in Fruits Basket.
spoiler[Kyoko Honda was a 14 year old delinquent biker when she met her husband Katsuya Honda who was an early 20-something trainee teacher at her school, with Tohru being born soon after.]

As an aside, I think the worst part of the episode was definitely Kagome meeting Lelouch vi Britannia over there and immediately believing everything that came out of his mouth without question. Though maybe it’s like I said before and the whole episode was lies and half-truths and we’ll get the real real story later if we’re good and keep watching the show.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure about any of you but Yashahime is one of my favorite anime. I understand about reviews but the person giving the reviews seems to be extremely hostile in regards to this anime. I absolutely love the characters, and so what that the anime is taking its time explaining background information. It sometimes amazes me that people just want to find an excuse to hate and now that we know that Sess/Rin are the parents people seem not to understand that it is ok to fall in love and also not understand the historical background of the country that this anime is representing. I can guarentee that the whole grooming thing cannot be proven one bit in the original anime and in this one. Every time we see Sess and Rin together in the anime there is no hint at all that Sess is grooming her. So stop with all the hate and understand that two people fell in love and Rin was of age to consent and every parent understands when their daughter tells them that they are old enough to make their own decisions on matters of whom they choose and when they choose to do so. Howver we are given a time line that Rin was arounf 18 yrs old so if you think a person cannot choose for themselves at that age then you have no idea about some of lifes issues throughout time. Therefore it is Not Gross at all not even .001 percent
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm a fan of the original series who hasn't seen any of this, and while I don't want to get into the whole "how squick is this" debate, what does bother me from that screenshot of Rin and the babies is that she still looks all of 10 years old. Like, would it have killed them to actually age her face up a bit? At the very least have her look as old as Kagome and Sango did in the original?

(Then again, Rumiko Takahashi is notorious for some level of Same Face Syndrome, so maybe that's how she'll look when she's 40...)
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Sesshomaru: Father of the year. Not even Goku or.Ging can't reach this level

To make it worse Team Four Star once made an animated vid involving Sesshomaru was a pedo and turns out they hit the jackpot
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
what does bother me from that screenshot of Rin and the babies is that she still looks all of 10 years old. Like, would it have killed them to actually age her face up a bit? At the very least have her look as old as Kagome and Sango did in the original?

You’re asking a lot from the people who couldn’t be bothered to give Kagome a proper baby bump, and just added some line about her not being a shower.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 29