• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I’ll respect the rules not to bring up age of consent, but can I ask that people who don’t have a problem with the ship respect the opinions of people who may be bothered by it?

I understand, but what you're asking is for people to give you "carte blanche" to criticize and even criminalize in some case a beloved decades old anime ship. Laughing
Almost asking for the impossible.

Oh, taking this opportunity that "age of consent" was mentioned, I was surprised by how old Rin was when she got pregnant and gave birth, because in olden times was normal to marry and reproduce at a younger age, right?

Anyway, I'm happy that "my" ship turned to be true, but I had already dropped this anime, it's not good and I thought this episode was horrible. What a unnecessary complicated mess.
RR529

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
To those not watching the show, I'll mention some lore dumps from the episode not mentioned (or glazed over) in the review.

1. The Shikon Jewel is posthumously involved. It was supposedly responsible for Kirinmaru's prophecy of being killed by a half demon (or more accurately, by something neither human nor demon that transcends time, which could mean a half demon, but also even describe the jewel itself). Personal theory: Maybe it had an inkling of who or what would ultimately defeat it, and left the prophecy for Kirinmaru as a way to exact revenge on those who would defeat it.

2. We now have a partial origin of the Rainbow Pearls. Sesshomaru mentions that they are Zero's tears (Zero is Kirinmaru's sister, and seems to hate half demons moreso than her brother). It is mentioned that InuYasha's Black Pearl was partially created with the sadness of his mother, so the Rainbow Pearls must have been created with Zero's sadness (though for what purpose remains unknown). She does mention that Inu No Taisho humiliated her & she'd be glad to see his family suffer. Personal Theory 2: She had the hots for Inu No Taisho & was furious he got with a human (Izayoi), and thus hates half demons. She proceeds to have the Rainbow Pearls created in an effort to emulate the Shikon Jewel (one is purple) to set up Kirinmaru's prophecy, so he'd kill half demons (specifically those related to Inu No Taisho). Maybe Riku is Kirinmaru's own half demon son (born pre-prophecy), and not having the resolve to kill his own son just expelled him. Riku is trying to get revenge on Zero, and maybe also hates the Inu clan for partly being responsible for her actions.

3. The Grim Comet comes once every 500 years. Only a chunk of it falls to Earth each time it passes (the other "chunk" mentioned in the review is probably just the comet proper, an ominous reminder that it will be back, eventually). While it wasn't much of a threat here, it's mentioned that the cataclysm created by the last impact started the age of demons. Plus, with the modern era roughly 500 years in the future, it should be obvious where they're going with that.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I just realized that if they could hide Moroha with he wolf tribe then why didn't all of them went with them?

Also, if Kirinmaru is so cool that Sesshomaru needed to form an, obviously fake, alliance with him to do whatever he is planning... why are the 3 girls alive?

Why hasn't him personally gone to the village and kill them?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I just realized that if they could hide Moroha with he wolf tribe then why didn't all of them went with them?

Separate paths at separate times. Also, remember that the Wolf Tribe was friendly with Kagome, not Rin or Sesshomaru.

Quote:
Also, if Kirinmaru is so cool that Sesshomaru needed to form an, obviously fake, alliance with him to do whatever he is planning... why are the 3 girls alive?

Circumstances have changed over time? He wasn't aware of them, perhaps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Quote:

Circumstances have changed over time? He wasn't aware of them, perhaps?

Zero explicitly tells Kirinmaru on screen that Sesshoumaru is having kids with a human and that Inuyasha and Kagome are also expecting a child. He couldn't possibly be more aware of them.

Something that no one's addressed is that Jaken says he'll raise the kids in Rin's stead, but from Towa's flashback in episode 2 and all the scenes we've seen of Setsuna growing up, Jaken is nowhere to be seen, and he obviously had no hand in raising Setsuna since she didn't even know Sesshomaru was her father. Seriously what even is the writing in this show.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Something that no one's addressed is that Jaken says he'll raise the kids in Rin's stead, but from Towa's flashback in episode 2 and all the scenes we've seen of Setsuna growing up, Jaken is nowhere to be seen, and he obviously had no hand in raising Setsuna since she didn't even know Sesshomaru was her father. Seriously what even is the writing in this show.

I think it's safe to they that they've just forgotten about him, both because they were infants at the time, and for plot convenience. It'll probably get played up for laughs latter when they actually meet Jaken and neither twin can remember him, much to his dismay and indignation.
q_3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:42 pm Reply with quote
When all is said and done we need a spinoff where Moroha stays in the present day and always has the perfect excuse for her uncouth behavior. "What, were you raised by wolves?!"
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:09 am Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:
I think it's safe to they that they've just forgotten about him, both because they were infants at the time, and for plot convenience. It'll probably get played up for laughs latter when they actually meet Jaken and neither twin can remember him, much to his dismay and indignation.

It's easy to justify in Setsuna's case; if the Dream Butterfly denied her memories of Towa, then denying memories of Jaken as well would naturally follow. Harder to justify in Towa's case, since she does remember that time and hasn't brought him up; maybe something happened to Jaken? There's all kinds of potential explanations here beyond shoddy writing, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:27 am Reply with quote
I think James did a great job summing up this mess of an episode. Besides Sesshomaru being inscrutable and a Bad husband, father *and* brother, there was a chaotic tangle of Plot Points. It was just so *extra,* as the kids say. Did they really need a comet, 2 Big Bads, multiple multicolored super special magical items AND a prophesy?

And where *is* Shippo?

RR529 wrote:
To those not watching the show, I'll mention some lore dumps from the episode not mentioned (or glazed over) in the review.

1. The Shikon Jewel is posthumously involved. It was supposedly responsible for Kirinmaru's prophecy of being killed by a half demon (or more accurately, by something neither human nor demon that transcends time, which could mean a half demon, but also even describe the jewel itself). Personal theory: Maybe it had an inkling of who or what would ultimately defeat it, and left the prophecy for Kirinmaru as a way to exact revenge on those who would defeat it.

2. We now have a partial origin of the Rainbow Pearls. Sesshomaru mentions that they are Zero's tears (Zero is Kirinmaru's sister, and seems to hate half demons moreso than her brother). It is mentioned that InuYasha's Black Pearl was partially created with the sadness of his mother, so the Rainbow Pearls must have been created with Zero's sadness (though for what purpose remains unknown). She does mention that Inu No Taisho humiliated her & she'd be glad to see his family suffer. Personal Theory 2: She had the hots for Inu No Taisho & was furious he got with a human (Izayoi), and thus hates half demons. She proceeds to have the Rainbow Pearls created in an effort to emulate the Shikon Jewel (one is purple) to set up Kirinmaru's prophecy, so he'd kill half demons (specifically those related to Inu No Taisho). Maybe Riku is Kirinmaru's own half demon son (born pre-prophecy), and not having the resolve to kill his own son just expelled him. Riku is trying to get revenge on Zero, and maybe also hates the Inu clan for partly being responsible for her actions.

3. The Grim Comet comes once every 500 years. Only a chunk of it falls to Earth each time it passes (the other "chunk" mentioned in the review is probably just the comet proper, an ominous reminder that it will be back, eventually). While it wasn't much of a threat here, it's mentioned that the cataclysm created by the last impact started the age of demons. Plus, with the modern era roughly 500 years in the future, it should be obvious where they're going with that.

I like your theories, but I have no idea what Riku’s motivation is or how he’s related to all the main characters. I guess he could be a half demon seeing as he didn’t age, but Miroku barely aged, either, so who knows?
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
]It's easy to justify in Setsuna's case; if the Dream Butterfly denied her memories of Towa, then denying memories of Jaken as well would naturally follow. Harder to justify in Towa's case, since she does remember that time and hasn't brought him up; maybe something happened to Jaken? There's all kinds of potential explanations here beyond shoddy writing, though.

It definitely must have something to do with that whole Zero situation. Someone had to have taught the twins the basic language skills they had before being separated and feed them before they could walk, and I don't know who else it would be besides Jaken. Hopefully Jaken isn't dead, he's such a loveable character that it'd be pretty heartbreaking if he was.

Agent355 wrote:
I think James did a great job summing up this mess of an episode. Besides Sesshomaru being inscrutable and a Bad husband, father *and* brother

I not getting this line of thinking, is the fact that newborn Towa and Setsuna were immediately marked for death by the all-powerful, paranoid, racist demon king of East Japan and his vindictive bitch sister(?) completely lost on you or something?

Snake lady attacked Sesshomaru mid-flight almost immediately after he left the village, so it's not like Zero wasted any time trying to kill his kids. She was on them from the word go, not really a lot of time to give Rin her Hallmark moment with her children when archdemons are coming to murder them all right that second.
It's not like he left the twins totally defenseless anyway either, they had both Jaken and the jewels to protect them, and both did the job.

As for Inuyasha, you do get that Kirinmaru wanted Sesshomaru to kill him and Kagome don't you? And he and Jaken successfully BS'd a reason for them not to?

All-in-all it's plain to me that Kirinmaru and Zero are threats that exceed even Sess and Inu together, and that Sesshomaru was playing a delicate game of double-agent with Kirinmaru and making him think all threats to him are neutralized (by hiding his kids, wife, and siblings) so that Towa, Setsuna, and Moroha have a chance to become powerful enough to kill him some day.

Yet despite all that you and James are acting like Sesshomaru did it all for no particular reason, for shits and giggles essentially. Is it intentional hyperbole? I mean fair game if you just don't like the series enough to give it due consideration, but come on now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:43 am Reply with quote
So is Zero connected to the Dream Butterfly? I finally noticed she wears a blue butterfly hairpin.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:13 am Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I think James did a great job summing up this mess of an episode. Besides Sesshomaru being inscrutable and a Bad husband, father *and* brother

I not getting this line of thinking, is the fact that newborn Towa and Setsuna were immediately marked for death by the all-powerful, paranoid, racist demon king of East Japan and his vindictive bitch sister(?) completely lost on you or something?

As for Inuyasha, you do get that Kirinmaru wanted Sesshomaru to kill him and Kagome don't you? And he and Jaken successfully BS'd a reason for them not to?

All-in-all it's plain to me that Kirinmaru and Zero are threats that exceed even Sess and Inu together, and that Sesshomaru was playing a delicate game of double-agent with Kirinmaru and making him think all threats to him are neutralized (by hiding his kids, wife, and siblings) so that Towa, Setsuna, and Moroha have a chance to become powerful enough to kill him some day.

Yet despite all that you and James are acting like Sesshomaru did it all for no particular reason, for shits and giggles essentially. Is it intentional hyperbole? I mean fair game if you just don't like the series enough to give it due consideration, but come on now.

Two reasons, starting with what I bonded from your comment: When did we see him hide his wife? We didn’t, he didn’t take Rin.

My main problem with this episode, as I’ve stated before, is that Sesshomaru lied to Rin. He not only didn’t tell her why he had to take the babies, he made up a BS excuse about a “test of courage.” I want to make it clear that I’m not upset at the show for making a scenario in which Sesshomaru had to hide the twins from Kirinmaru and Zero. I’m upset that Sesshomaru and/or the show’s writers underestimated the main female characters of Inuyasha by not including them in the plan to keep the babies safe. In fact, by not telling Kagome in particular, Sesshomaru was leaving her in danger of being attacked. By not taking Rin, he left Rin in danger. And he *lied* to all of them. If the show had made up some reason he couldn’t tell them that bad guys were after them, I’d cut Sesshomaru slack. But from what was in the episode, lying and only protecting the twins was Sesshomaru’s choice.

Look at it this way: as you said, the threat was greater than Sesshomaru could handle alone. So he should have *told* his wife and allies what the danger was instead of lying and trying to handle it all himself. But he didn’t.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:25 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Two reasons, starting with what I bonded from your comment: When did we see him hide his wife? We didn’t, he didn’t take Rin.

Well first of all, Rin is in stasis wearing the very same birthing gown she wore when Towa and Setsuna were born, so it stands to reason that she was placed in this protective state not long after Sesshomaru ferried the twins off.

We don't know for certain that this was done under Sesshomaru's direction or if it was by the old gang's discretion, but since Sesshomaru has access to this hidden locale it's not unlikely he pulled a Mister Freeze and placed her there so that her life can be saved latter.

Quote:
My main problem with this episode, as I’ve stated before, is that Sesshomaru lied to Rin. He not only didn’t tell her why he had to take the babies, he made up a BS excuse about a “test of courage.”

I wouldn't really call it a BS excuse when what he's clearly doing is setting up a lifelong test of courage for his daughters so that they are one day strong enough to defeat Kirinmaru or whatever big bad and save their family.
Sure, he's being annoyingly opaque, but it's sort of his character to not really explain himself or rely on others. In this case if he's playing double-agent it would make sense for him to not clue the others in so that even they think he's gone villain again; makes the ruse all that more convincing.

Quote:
I want to make it clear that I’m not upset at the show for making a scenario in which Sesshomaru had to hide the twins from Kirinmaru and Zero. I’m upset that Sesshomaru and/or the show’s writers underestimated the main female characters of Inuyasha by not including them in the plan to keep the babies safe.

Considering Inuyasha, Shipo, and Miroku are just as (as you might say) "underappreciated" as Kagome, Sango, Kaede, and Rin in Sesshomaru's (or the writers') esteem, I don't think there's a particular slant against the female characters here (especially when the MCs of the series are three girls)

Quote:
In fact, by not telling Kagome in particular, Sesshomaru was leaving her in danger of being attacked. By not taking Rin, he left Rin in danger. And he *lied* to all of them. If the show had made up some reason he couldn’t tell them that bad guys were after them, I’d cut Sesshomaru slack. But from what was in the episode, lying and only protecting the twins was Sesshomaru’s choice.

Refer to the last comments about double-agency, testing his daughters, Mr.Freeze, etc. But also, it's important to note that we don't have a whole picture of what went on, so for all we know Sess could've told the gang via Jaken some hint of what was going to happen and what to do.
Also

He totally protected his brother and sister in-law too. His niece would've presumably gone with them as well if she wasn't sent off.

Quote:
Look at it this way: as you said, the threat was greater than Sesshomaru could handle alone. So he should have *told* his wife and allies what the danger was instead of lying and trying to handle it all himself. But he didn’t

Not just greater than him alone, but him alongside everyone else.
In conclusion, sure maybe he should've been more transparent, but then again maybe not.
It's just too early to make any concreate judgement calls on Sesshomaru, but considering that I assumed his motivation for all this would be that he gave into fear about Rin's mortality and went with Kirinmaru as part of a Faustian bargain to prolong her life for as long as a demon lives; in that regard Sesshomaru seems to be more on the up than I certainly thought he'd be.
Zefram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that got me interested in this episode is a mystery of who Riku is. I thought he was Kirinmaru but we just saw a screenshot with both of them onscreen, so they are separate people. Plus while Riku is manipulative, it seems he helped setup magic gizmos that help Sesshomaru protect Inuyasha and the kids, and it looks like Riku did it on purpose to give a helping hand to Inu and gang.

Is he chaotic neutral?

Also it tickled me that Koga got to raise Moroha.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:

They have their opinions as you have yours. You are becoming increasingly passive aggressive and condescending with your posts, I suggest you stop.

And that applies to everyone as well. Debate your various opinions and theories, but keep it civil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 29