• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
Quote:
"all of the births happen offscreen, because the show can't be bothered to treat pregnancy as anything other than a plot device"

What kind of f******* complaint is this? Are you legit upset they didn't animate a live birth on screen or something?

Weirdo.

I guess (haven't watch this) it's about ignoring the whole 9-month ordeal and making children appear like the stork brought them in, ignoring the whole motherhood thing, like way too much other shows do. If it's shown better then that then sorry, but that is how that reviewer's complain looks to me.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the timing of everything, why would any of these characters (on both sides) wait until the children are born to act? (other than for the show to happen of course :p)

Kirinmaru & Zero could have gone after Rin at any time after she was pregnant, same for Kagome. And Sesshoumaru could have moved Rin into that barrier before she had the kids instead of waiting until after when she couldn't be moved.
And why wait ~6 months for Moroha to be born to go after Kagome & InuYasha?

It's also odd that Sesshoumaru wouldn't try to stand up to Kirinmaru, at least from how I remember him in the original series. If he fought him and then capitulated, it'd be a bit more understandable (though surrender isn't like him either). We don't know how strong Kirinmaru is, but his four disasters haven't been much and if InuYasha and Sesshoumaru can do the same job with the comet that took both Kirinmaru and papa Inu to take care of, then presumably they can put up a fight at least
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

I guess (haven't watch this) it's about ignoring the whole 9-month ordeal and making children appear like the stork brought them in, ignoring the whole motherhood thing, like way too much other shows do. If it's shown better then that then sorry, but that is how that reviewer's complain looks to me.

It just begs the question, what would showing Towa and Setsuna's birth actually bring to the episode? We're all well aware what an ordeal pregnancy and childbirth is, so it's not as though we need the lesson.
Worth mentioning that we didn't see the details of Hisui's birth back in the Final Act of Inuyasha either, but it didn't detract from it being the sweet culmination of Sango and Miroku's journey together, after all the shit they went through in order to get there.
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I think it's just a testament to the poor writing how little emotional impact this episode had. The things that happen are emotional, but the episode itself doesn't *convey* that the things that happen have any weight. This episode should have felt like a huge payoff with the revelation of what happened to the OG gang but it doesn't.

Part of this is due to a classic "tell, don't show" approach. We find out about the comet because Riku literally expositions it at Kagome. Finding out about the comet at the start of the episode and then resolving it 10 minutes later doesn't make it seem like this is a big deal at all. We find out about the prophecy the same way. Zero just walks into the room and tells Kirinmaru about it. Seconds later Sesshoumaru walks in, and then they instantly go to seal up Inuyasha and Kagome, a scene which is only a minute and a half long. There is no time for any emotional impact here.

Similarly, the scene with Rin also has little impact. The scene is only 90 seconds long. We see that Rin is sad to leave her children because she starts crying. There are no shots of her hugging her children. The other women don't comfort her. No one seems super concerned. Kagoma casually starts talking about the comet. And yes, Sesshōmaru is himself, but the show could have given more weight to his actions without forcing him to emote. Have him bring healing herbs to Rin, or, conversely, have him coldly brush her off. Anything to add a little more context to his current relationship with her.

The speed at which this episode proceeds also makes it awkward when we see that Moroha has already been born. Kagome says one line to her and is quickly absorbed into the pearl. I think when people say that's weird that they skipped over the births, it's because they really missed out on the chance for some really touching scenes between the mothers and their children. Would love to see the expression on Inuyasha's face when he holds his daughter for the first time, too.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is no time for any emotional impact here.

Kagome's parents are not worried about her, especially when they discover their grand daughter wasn't raised by Kagome. Moroha walking into her grand parents life is treated like a lark or some every day thing. Moroha seemingly doesn't have a care in the world when it comes to her own parents.

Really don't see why the babies had to be separated from their parents, if they were just sealing the old cast away. Might as well seal them all up. Keep everyone together.

No matter how this plays out, or is explained away; this is a tragedy. Kagome lost her baby daughter forever. Kagome is not going to get any of that back. When Kagome and Moroha finally meet up, it will be as strangers to each other.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
You know what's the other funny part?

What is stopping Kagome and Inuyasha from..... well, "Making" more half-demons?

Even if we think that Kirinmaru gave the girls for dead... for some illogical reason, then he should realice that the danger exists as long as those 2 are alive.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
You know what's the other funny part?

What is stopping Kagome and Inuyasha from..... well, "Making" more half-demons?

Even if we think that Kirinmaru gave the girls for dead... for some illogical reason, then he should realice that the danger exists as long as those 2 are alive.

lol, yeah, unless time moves at a different pace where they are, there's probably not much to do in that place...
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:39 am Reply with quote
It would be hilarious if Kagome and Inuyasha come out of the pearl with a whole brood of kids, like “Moroha, meet your younger brothers and sisters!” Very Happy
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:31 pm Reply with quote
That was the worst episode in the whole series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:52 am Reply with quote
Wow, that episode was a whole new level of awful, with themes like “when adults abuse kids, they actually really care about them” and “selling children into indentured servitude is hilarious!” Seriously, can the series stop making jokes about Moroha’s debt now that’s it’s been revealed that she’s the victim of two manipulative, abusive not-so-nice-people. It was always cringe, and now it seems outright cruel.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I thought episode 16 was alright, better than usual. It didn't feel like filler, and the animation and art looked better to me than it often does (especially when characters are at a mid-distance)
I'm not so hard on Moroha's sensei there, I mean clearly it's a pretty shitty thing she did, but it certainly seemed to help more than harm since becoming indentured as a mercenary gave Moroha some pretty vital combat experience. It's a hard life, and she's Moroha's sensei, not her mother.
It's not like she's on this walking sack of garbage's level anyway, from Rumiko's other franchise.

On another hand, did I miss something from episode 14? Was there really no set-up to any of this?
The episode starts and it's just BOOM the trio are facing Moroha's old master, no explanation of what they're doing there and why.
What the hell? Did they skip an episode or something? It was so disorienting.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Naka: Regarding Towa, she inherited Sesshōmaru’s silver hair, has a boyish outfit, and has an outward appearance that would make girls think she’s attractive.

The rest of the interveiew. t.ly/gejw

This confirms a theory that I had been thinking about for a while.Towa cross dresses, because Sesshomaru cross dresses. If you pay close attention Sesshomaru is wearing a furisode under his armor which are usually worn by women. No one notices because it's never pointed out or made fun of. Like with 99% of shows that have a feminine AMAB character. They apparently decided to continue the tradition with Towa. Even though there were still some people who's brain couldn't comprehend the shock of girl a wearing both pants and a blazer. So good for them for treating gender nonconformity as normal.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Ah so that’s the image that James spend a hour to edit. Love it! Had a really good laughter out of it (something Yashahime failed to do in recent weeks, not counting unintentional writing failures).

If you ever feel like it or time permits, sir, please do more reactionary pics like this one, it’s getting to the point that reading your resonating take on the show is soooo much more entertaining than watching the show itself
Lann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the writing is terrible. Why am I not surprised? There is a reason why I never watched this series. This and the 3D GITS:SAC travesty. There is a pretty simple rule that I follow; if its not from the original writers/team, its just a cash grab. Inuyasha ended. Period.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:24 pm Reply with quote
They kinda say Takahashi supervises the writing but whoever wrote it forgot about Racing. I mean despite all the hate Boruto gets the portrayal of Sasuke was proper explained and there early scenes where the guy has lunch with Sarada and even hugged her before continuing his mission. Here Sesshomaru and Rin seems an excuse to have two of the main characters who got weird upbringings because Sesshomaru split them. Imagine Ging From Hunter x Hunter was never judged by Leorio and got away with everything. He would be Sesshomaru
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 29