• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami to Dissolve, Restructure 3 Production Divisions on February 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Konami, what happened to you?
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Sounds alarming, but this could actually be good news. They have put more focus on their silent hill , metal gear solid and Contra properties in the last year. Pyramid head was put into dead by daylight and there are rumors of that new silent hill/reboot (also the movie). As mentioned we also got Metal gear solid 1 and 2 put on gog.

The keyword here is "production" video game studios are development. Production to me refers to actually producing some physical product. With the C-virus rampant world wide and not showign any sign of slowing down, this most likely means that Konami is giving up on the pachnko machines and moving back to video game development.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

Pachinko happened.

Quote:
Konami is known for multiple game franchises including Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, Contra, and Silent Hill. The company also publishes the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game. Konami released its Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, and Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance games as well as its Konami Collector's Series: Castlevania and Contra game collection on PC via GOG last September.

No mention of Suikoden?
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
None of this has any thing to do with Konami's arcade side
neptun1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
what ever. Konmai will not try to make new game either way.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
it be nice if konami Sells the MGS license around and maybe sony could pick it up...
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
No mention of Suikoden?

Or any Bemani series, for that matter Razz
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Fire the CEO who tossed Kojima and alienated their veteran game designers... That bastard drove this company into the ground with his mobile and pachinko agenda.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:23 am Reply with quote
Back in the old days when I was a N64/Game Boy kid Konami used to be one of my favorite studios. Most of their IPs were presented in a distinct way which defined my early understanding of a "Japanese game" and they had quite a bunch of talented composers who created many beautiful videogame themes which I still enjoy listening to until this day.

I especially miss the Ganbare Goemon series and still hope to witness a revival of this franchise someday.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard this isn't as bad as it sounds. While it's true that the pandemic has affected greatly Konami's amusement division, including their pachinko businesses, Momotaro Dentetsu is the best selling third-party title for the Switch at 2 million copies. Konami will probably focus their game development for the mobile market and perhaps the Switch, also Winning Eleven/PES is still a solid competitor to FIFA and it seems that they will switch the game engine from the Fox Engine to Unreal, that might improve some things like porting the game to Nintendo platforms.
I'll admit is stil sad that all of their IP like Metal Gear, Castlevania, Ganbare Goemon and Silent Hill are practically dead, I can't see Konami letting another studio to buy them or develop new games under a license. If we see them againg it'll probably be some low budget game like the last Contra title, and I don't believe those rumors about Blue Point developing a new Silent Hill and a MGS remake for the PS5 (hope I'm wrong).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Pachinko happened.
Lots of other Japanese game companies have Pachinko games and that hasn't stopped them making video games.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Pachinko happened.
Lots of other Japanese game companies have Pachinko games and that hasn't stopped them making video games.

That's true. For example, SEGA merged with Sammy Corporation one of the biggest pachinko and pachislot developers, so technically SEGA is in the pachinko business as well.
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Pachinko happened.

True, but in the case of Konami they appear to be going into it full throttle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1