• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Redo Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:33 am Reply with quote
I missed the earlier posts in this thread but I'd like to comment on the alleged double standard of viewers cheering on Moriarty and the vengeance he takes on evil nobles and that being okay, whereas viewers cheering on the treatment of Freya who is also an evil noble is not.

For me there is a difference. If you cheer on the death of an evil noble, I don't automatically assume you are a sadistic person who gets off on fantasies of people being murdered. If you cheer on the sexual assault of an evil noble, I don't assume you are simply cheering on the comeuppance of a bad character. It makes me think that maybe you do have rape fantasies and this kind of narrative is giving you those jollies. This belief is not proveable, of course, but it is certainly a suspicion of mine. Nor do I think that everybody who is enjoying Redo is a freak who gets off on rape fantasies, but again I have a suspicion that for some viewers, Redo is scratching a rather nasty itch.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For me there is a difference. If you cheer on the death of an evil noble, I don't automatically assume you are a sadistic person who gets off on fantasies of people being murdered. If you cheer on the sexual assault of an evil noble, I don't assume you are simply cheering on the comeuppance of a bad character. It makes me think that maybe you do have rape fantasies and this kind of narrative is giving you those jollies. This belief is not proveable, of course, but it is certainly a suspicion of mine. Nor do I think that everybody who is enjoying Redo is a freak who gets off on rape fantasies, but again I have a suspicion that for some viewers, Redo is scratching a rather nasty itch.

I feel like this argument would hold more weight if we didn't have access to these peoples Twitter feeds and see them cheering and cackling in schadenfreude on a daily basis at the misery of people they dislike. You can't have the ANN stuff wishing the politicians who contracted COVID last October, would die a slow and painful death while trying to play some kind of moral high ground here in terms of not wanting to promote toxicity or encouraging abhorant behavior. Ironically, I remember Nick did specifically post some snarky Moriarty pictures the same time Trump got diagnosed with Covid, so, yeah, that's about the biggest tell you can give on the subject. There's no benefit of the doubt here to be given. There is no moral high ground to be had. But I realize this is their website and they'll do whatever they want with it ultimately at the end of the day
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
I feel like this argument would hold more weight if we didn't have access to these peoples Twitter feeds and see them cheering and cackling in schadenfreude on a daily basis at the misery of people they dislike. You can't have the ANN stuff wishing the politicians who contracted COVID last October, would die a slow and painful death while trying to play some kind of moral high ground here in terms of not wanting to promote toxicity or encouraging abhorant behavior. Ironically, I remember Nick did specifically post some snarky Moriarty pictures the same time Trump got diagnosed with Covid, so, yeah, that's about the biggest tell you can give on the subject. There's no benefit of the doubt here to be given. There is no moral high ground to be had. But I realize this is their website and they'll do whatever they want with it ultimately at the end of the day

Nick isn't ANN Staff. He's a freelancer who works for us on one column. We have no right or ability to police what he says on Twitter, that is regulated by Twitter's TOS.

Twitter and ANN both try to cultivate different environments. There are things that are appropriate for Twitter that aren't appropriate for ANN.

I certainly don't think it is hypocritical for us to say "You can't say that on ANN," while one of our freelancers does just that on another platform. I also don't think that hiring a competent freelance writer to write about anime means we endorse the opinions they espouse on Twitter.

That said, we do have the option of terminating a freelancer's contract should they say something particularly repugnant in public. We have exercised that option with freelancers in the past. But we certainly won't do it just because they said something in public (eg: on Twitter) that we wouldn't allow them to say in our forum. I doubt I would ever stop hiring someone just because of a snarky tweet they made about a politician, including if they made it about my favorite politician. They'd have to do something worse. On the other hand, if any freelancer were to suggest on Twitter that they wish upon Trump's wife or daughter the same punishment that is meted out in Redo, they would never work for ANN again. That's a level of consistency that I am comfortable with.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2