• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pipoko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote
For me, the horror took over in this episode over the cool factor. It has always leaned that way to me, but here the horror just really did take over.

I thought this material was actually a lot more action-oriented than horror and pathos-oriented in the manga, sure, it still very much has the pathos, but the manga emphasised the action part of everything more.

Eren forcing Porco to crack the Warhammer crystal was really unsettling to watch here and Armin turning into the Colossal was extended and really emphasised the horror of his action through the scale and framing.

The Panzer team died in the manga and it was a brief sad moment, but you really focus on the horror of their deaths here.

And I feel like you're not meant to find most of this cool, which is what matters to me most because that tells me it is not glorifying the horrors of war. It knows when characters do something that is wrong or are put in a horrible situation and honestly this is probably one of the main reasons I like it.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:
For me, the horror took over in this episode over the cool factor. It has always leaned that way to me, but here the horror just really did take over.

I thought this material was actually a lot more action-oriented than horror and pathos-oriented in the manga, sure, it still very much has the pathos, but the manga emphasised the action part of everything more.

Eren forcing Porco to crack the Warhammer crystal was really unsettling to watch here and Armin turning into the Colossal was extended and really emphasised the horror of his action through the scale and framing.

The Panzer team died in the manga and it was a brief sad moment, but you really focus on the horror of their deaths here.

I dunno, I thought all of these scenes were pretty horror-oriented in the manga!
Pipoko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:12 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Pipoko wrote:

I dunno, I thought all of these scenes were pretty horror-oriented in the manga!

As I said, the horror element was there, but I feel like the story lingered on the horror more here. Eren crunching Porco was really quick in the manga, but in my eyes, here in the anime it's given emphasis and editing that really zooms in on the horror of what he's doing.

You could see it as sort of anime padding, but I think lingering on it helped the horror part of it.

Same goes for Armin turning into the Colossal Titan and Pieck's team being killed.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Man, as exciting as this episode was, I know next week's episode is gonna piss me off.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Herewego.gif

Twitter is civil war right now between defenders and haters.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Herewego.gif

Twitter is civil war right now between defenders and haters.

Yup, I'm expecting the same dumb bs as when the manga version happened. spoiler[Lots of folks talking about how much they wanted to kill this fictional, indoctrinated little girl child soldier. It was embarrassing. ]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Alright people, use spoiler tags. Seriously. Do not post source material that has not been covered without them. If you're posting content from the show wait at least 24 hours before posting discussion without any tags. Not everyone is going to watch it the very second it airs. I had to remove one post for ruining a very big part of the next episode. So don't be an ass, use the spoiler tags. This might seem harsh but this is a hot show with a lot of people watching it. We expect spoiler tags for material as is, but it is being enforced more stringently for this.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
MAPPA has been just KILLING it the last few episodes. This episode was amazing. Simply amazing.
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Yup, I'm expecting the same dumb bs as when the manga version happened. spoiler[Lots of folks talking about how much they wanted to kill this fictional, indoctrinated little girl child soldier. It was embarrassing. ]

Yeah, that kind of reaction misses the entire point of this episode, if not this whole series.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
MAPPA has been just KILLING it the last few episodes. This episode was amazing. Simply amazing.

The majority of the episode was given over to adapting chapter 105.
And that gave this particular event far more feeling than shown by the manga.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

Yeah, that kind of reaction misses the entire point of this episode, if not this whole series.

Considering that manga readersspoiler[ know of future events is it really that hard to understand the "hate" for Gabi? She was written to be disliked,as with Flock & Yelana.
Meanwhile Falco remains the pure hero.]
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Considering that manga readersspoiler[ know of future events is it really that hard to understand the "hate" for Gabi? She was written to be disliked,as with Flock & Yelana.
Meanwhile Falco remains the pure hero.]

spoiler[You don't really need future knowledge of the manga. The story shown thus far has been pretty clear about why Gabi acts the way she does. She is literally a tiny female version of Eren, and Eren's actions basically guaranteed that she will turn up exactly like him, maybe unless with the intervention of Falco.

It's not that I find it 'hard' to understand the hate. It's that I find it entirely ironic.]
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
My post was deleted, the fudge? We can't post unmarked spoilers for an episode that's out?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:
My post was deleted, the fudge? We can't post unmarked spoilers for an episode that's out?

Apparently. For 24 hours at least. Time to second-guess whether a given spoiler is anime-related or manga-related.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:

Read what Psycho said just a few posts above about using spoilers within 24 hours of the episode airing.

After seeing the episode myself, I'm not surprised about the Twitter explosion over it. And I agree that those advocating for spoiler[killing Gabi for killing Sasha] are missing the point.

There are a couple of things I'm confused about, though:

1. spoiler[Who the heck is Yelena? Did I miss or forget something on when and where she was introduced?]
2. spoiler[When the hell did Zeke wind up working with Paradis Island group, and how did that happen?] Clearly this is meant to be the big reveal, but I don't remember that even being hinted at before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 23