• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
1. spoiler[Who the heck is Yelena? Did I miss or forget something on when and where she was introduced?]
2. spoiler[When the hell did Zeke wind up working with Paradis Island group, and how did that happen?] Clearly this is meant to be the big reveal, but I don't remember that even being hinted at before.

1.spoiler[She wasn't, formally. But she was shown leading Pieck and Porco towards the trap, we got a look at the side of her face, her conspicuous voice and Piecke's suspicious expression. I imagine the manga chapter ended when her affiliation was revealed, because it didn't make much sense to show that just a few seconds before Zeke appeared]
2.There were two hints that I didn't pick on spoiler[much like Will and the other guy, he was conspiring behind the military's backs but we weren't shown how. The other was several ships going missing at Paradis. Must of us assumed they were sunk but in hindsight they didn't have the means to do so, those wall cannons weren't going to win against early 20th century battleships. Only Armin could do something and only as far as they were all close to the coast]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Kuzu wrote:
My post was deleted, the fudge? We can't post unmarked spoilers for an episode that's out?

Read what Psycho said just a few posts above about using spoilers within 24 hours of the episode airing.

After seeing the episode myself, I'm not surprised about the Twitter explosion over it. And I agree that those advocating for spoiler[killing Gabi for killing Sasha] are missing the point.

There are a couple of things I'm confused about, though:

1. spoiler[Who the heck is Yelena? Did I miss or forget something on when and where she was introduced?]
2. spoiler[When the hell did Zeke wind up working with Paradis Island group, and how did that happen?] Clearly this is meant to be the big reveal, but I don't remember that even being hinted at before.

i thought the rule was to post current ep inside spoiler tags until the review was out. not a big difference anyway.

regarding number two ,the subtitles were different but when zeke spoiler[ fights eren he says , eren, you are no enemy of mine, which is understood as eren being too weak to be considered an enemy, but in this case zeke meant what he said] you could boame the subs, but the translation decision is aceptable as it is a common line in shounen shows.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

After seeing the episode myself, I'm not surprised about the Twitter explosion over it. And I agree that those advocating for spoiler[killing Gabi for killing Sasha] are missing the point.

2 first and don't know why this is a spoiler as season 3 revealed Zeke's actual relationship with Eren but spoiler[suffice to say Zeke is working alongside his half-brother not the Scouts.]

1 ... spoiler[Episode 9 begins the final story arc, with Yelena being one of the new characters. anymore and it'll spoil a whole lot of episodes.]

To your and others comments about missing the point of said characterspoiler[.Gabi goes on to do other,highly un-endearing things, besides killing Sasha,throughout this last arc,the character earns the "hate".]
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:48 am Reply with quote
[quote="Nordhmmer"]
Key wrote:
To your and others comments about missing the point of said characterspoiler[.Gabi goes on to do other,highly un-endearing things, besides killing Sasha,throughout this last arc,the character earns the "hate".]

spoiler[So does Eren, and Floch, and Annie, and Reiner, and...]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote
Did we anime viewers need to know that?
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:32 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Did we anime viewers need to know that?

I'm... not sure which comment you're replying to. I didn't give any manga spoilers.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:49 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:

spoiler[So does Eren, and Floch, and Annie, and Reiner, and...]

spoiler[The point I'm badly making being the author did not write her to be liked,even after her epiphany with the Braus family.- The character Gabi is working as intended.
Annie & Reiner ? My thinking, the author redeemed both characters.

Waiting for the last three chapters to see where the story ends up, before talking about current Eren]

spoiler[
also...screw that bit character Floch Smile]
Kuzu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
Well ok, fair enough

spoiler[I'm mostly just mourning Sasha in all honesty.]
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

EDIT: took out spoiler tags since it's already been 24 hours since the episode aired

There have been a couple of hints sprinkled throughout previous seasons/episodes, the main one being that one scene where Falco is talking to Eren at the hospital and he asks him where he got his baseball glove and ball from. Eren says that it was a gift from his family. Now, who is the one character in Attack on Titan associated with baseball?

There's also the fact that when Zeke met Eren last season, he promised that he would come back to save him. Then last episode we got Zeke saying that Eren is not his enemy. And lastly, there's the fact that Zeke has been witholding precious information from Marley's military, namely the fact that he has royal blood.

There are a couple of other details, like how right before Willy's play, when Falco asked Reiner to follow him to meet Eren and Reiner was hesitant, Zeke encouraged him to go. Or how Yelena only trapped Pieck and Galliard and let Zeke go.

Last edited by Everlasting Coconut on Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Kuzu wrote:
My post was deleted, the fudge? We can't post unmarked spoilers for an episode that's out?

Read what Psycho said just a few posts above about using spoilers within 24 hours of the episode airing.

spoiler[Yelena is the blond soldier lady with the fake beard that helped throw the Cart and Jaw Titan holders in the pit. We know her as manga readers.]
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I am glad they made Eren's reaction to Sasha's dead more evident.

In the Manga he makes a weird smile and that's all, here they make it more logical by showing him laughing at Sasha's antics and then lament her dead.

It confused the hell out of me.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Great review on this one, thanks!

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I am glad they made Eren's reaction to Sasha's dead more evident.

In the Manga he makes a weird smile and that's all, here they make it more logical by showing him laughing at Sasha's antics and then lament her dead.

It confused the hell out of me.

There are sound effects in that scene in the manga, which I assumed was light chuckling?
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I think it being unclear was on purpose, because the reaction on his friends' faces shows they didn't know what to make of it either.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When the needle has worn itself so deep into the groove of a spinning record, does one blame the needle or the record for the circle that they make as the gears of the player turn and turn again?

These are so good. Great review as always, James <3

RIP Sasha. May you rest in potato heaven.

Gem Bug wrote:
There are sound effects in that scene in the manga, which I assumed was light chuckling?

Yeah, or at least that's how I remember it. Eren showing a brief smile remembering that scene from way back in episode 4. Although there's also a sense of ambiguity, what with Eren's psyche being a mystery to both the characters and the audience. The anime captured it pretty well.

One little thing I noticed when I first read the manga was that right at the moment when Sasha is shot, you can see that she is trying to reach for the gun on her back. She'd already heard Gabi and Falco infiltrating the ship, so she reacted faster than everyone else when Gabi pointed her gun at her. It seems that little detail was skipped over in the anime. Not a complaint though, just a small nitpick.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“War is hell, but that's not the half of it, because war is also mystery and terror and adventure and courage and discovery and holiness and pity and despair and longing and love. War is nasty; war is fun. War is thrilling; war is drudgery. War makes you a man; war makes you dead.”

That's such a dense quote but I love it. Thanks for sharing that, I'll definitely need to find a copy of that book.

As I'm watching this season it brings to mind one of my favourite quotes from Fate/Zero. It's not as raw as Tim O'Brien's and is more dramatized but it still hits hard.
Quote:
"And there you go. You heard her, Iri. Our Heroic Spirit over there considers a battlefield to be better than Hell. What a joke. A battlefield is Hell itself. There's no hope to be had on one. There is nothing but unspeakable despair. Just a soulless crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated. But humanity has never recognized this truth. And the reason is that, in every era, a dazzling hero has blinded the people with their legends, and kept them from seeing the evil of bloodshed they bring. True human nature has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age."

Ymir, Helos, Fritz, Levi, Zeke and Eren.
All of them were/are heroes to their respective sides blinding their followers yet none of them could truly break the cycle.
Gabi certainly wants to join the ranks. So far Falco seems to be their best chance at breaking the cycle and his name along with the theme 'wings of freedom' makes me think he will.
Or it could be a red herring and he gets murdered brutally. Time will tell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 23