• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Earwig and the Witch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
So, all other things being equal (and only on the merits of the film itself,) is this a movie that should really be caught in the theater, or really doesn't lose anything by waiting at least a couple days and streaming it on HBO?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Where did the reviewer watch the English dub? Did it get an early theatrical release somewhere ahead of the February 3 premiere?
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Where did the reviewer watch the English dub? Did it get an early theatrical release somewhere ahead of the February 3 premiere?

Probably got a screener copy in order to help build up buzz for the actual release.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of Goro Miyazaki but I might watch it on streaming one day.

“It’s good that he made one movie. With that, he should stop.” - Hayao Miyazaki
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I can't read or hear this title without being reminded of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
For some reason, I can't read or hear this title without being reminded of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

Oh good, it’s not just me...!
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Special streaming access provided to our site for review purposes.

bglassbrook wrote:
So, all other things being equal (and only on the merits of the film itself,) is this a movie that should really be caught in the theater, or really doesn't lose anything by waiting at least a couple days and streaming it on HBO?

I watched it on my laptop and didn't feel like the movie was losing much in that format. This isn't like Battle Angel Alita.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

bglassbrook wrote:

I watched it on my laptop and didn't feel like the movie was losing much in that format. This isn't like Battle Angel Alita.

It is a TV movie in Japan.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“It’s good that he made one movie. With that, he should stop.” - Hayao Miyazaki

And the father of the year award goes to...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
Earthsea was bad.

But Poppy Hill was good and very rewatchable (although- had a Hayao cowritten screenplay to its credit).

Ronja is a good kids show and even more, a largely attractive CG product (great backgrounds... not completely dead eyes Wink ).

Cautiously optimistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
This review is more like a summary of the movie, and full of spoilers...
marshall2000_uk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:36 am Reply with quote
Just watched the trailer. The 3DCG doesn’t look very good to me. I turned the trailer off. Looks like more like a TV movie. I really wish it was 2D tbh, they do that so much better than Disney and the like. Shame Sad
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote
marshall2000_uk wrote:
Just watched the trailer. The 3DCG doesn’t look very good to me. I turned the trailer off. Looks like more like a TV movie.(

Wrong. The reviewer says the 3DCG is "at a quality level comparable to Pixar," not a TV movie.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Just saw it subtitled. The filmed hooked me so successfully that the 82 minutes whizzed by.

Then it just... sort of... ended. Right as the juiciest bit was about to unfold.

It needed to go another ten minutes, so we could see the fireworks of the band getting back together, and learn precisely how Earwig is connected to each of the band members.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Just saw it subtitled. The filmed hooked me so successfully that the 82 minutes whizzed by.

Then it just... sort of... ended. Right as the juiciest bit was about to unfold.

It needed to go another ten minutes, so we could see the fireworks of the band getting back together, and learn precisely how Earwig is connected to each of the band members.
Having just finished watching the film myself (although in the dub), I have to say that I agree. It felt like it really needed to go on a bit longer, and not just having these teases to the "happy family life" that Earwig has now.

There's a lot of things that were teased throughout this film that never got explained, and I feel like it'll never be explained, which is sad. I wanted to see a larger reunion between Earwig and her mother, wanted to explore the relationship between the mother, Bella, and the Mandrake (not to mention those hints to a romantic relationship between the mother and the Mandrake, which almost made me want to theorize that he could've been Earwig's father, but I know that would be a major stretch), wanted to know more about these 12 witches that were hunting down Earwig's mother and what they might have done if they found out about Earwig (again, I almost wanted to theorize that Bella and the Mandrake had something to do with the 12 witches when they came in, but instead I'm wondering now if the two would do something to protect Earwig if the 12 witches ever came for her), and several other things that I think would make this post too long to try and add.

There's a lot of potential with this film and I really liked it a lot, but it, unfortunately, fell flat by the end, and that does sour some of the experience for me. I really now want an extension or a sequel at this point to extend upon all of the teased elements, but I'm not going to ever expect it to happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2