• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Top 10 Anime Opening Songs of Winter 2021

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenRen94

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
A lot of these are good choices, but I'm also gonna give a shoutout to the OPs from Dr. Ramune, Heaven's Design Team, and especially World Trigger S2.

We are dreamers, So it's the trigger~
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
It’s a shame that Heaven’s Design Team OP didn’t make the list. It’s really catchy.

That being said, there are a lot of great opening songs this season.

Last edited by ab2143 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree that My War is excellent, specially when you consider what the series does in its later parts. There's a lot of foreshadowing going on there.

JJK continues to carry the flag of classic anime openings for shonen jump battle manga, consolidating itself further and further as the flagship series for the shonen manga of the 2010s. I imagine you guys are going to talk about the endings eventually but I need to say that give me back hits different when you know what happens in the manga.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Black Clover getting ignored again Sad

Easily the best OP
q_3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Poor Show By Rock! Stars!, even a duet between the two main bands isn't enough to make the list. Plus the visuals are ridiculously cute, as is mandatory for the franchise.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the list. I usually skip most ops for most of the season to avoid spoilers, so it's nice to hear a round up.

The audio is just slightly off in the video btw.

#919730 wrote:
It’s a shame that Dr. Stone’s and Heaven’s Design Team OPs didn’t make the list. They’re both really catchy.

That being said, there are a lot of great opening songs this season.

Dr. Stone is #5
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Dr. Stone is #5

Ohhh, oops! I missed that
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
The tragedy isn't mentioned... Where is Beastars' bop of an OP?!
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The song for Attack on Titan was really good (I've got to listen to it with the lyrics), not so sure about the visuals. There were good moments like the contrast of the falling birds with falling titans, the marching soldiers with Zeppelins, the final shot of that Titan. The explosions were good then they repeated them twice or so, same for the flamethrower. There was also 15 seconds of just coloured smoke which I'm not sure if it was a conscious decision or just the poor schedule of the show rearing its head.

That aside, I've seen like 3 separate top OP lists recently and Jujutsu Kaisen was 2nd in all of them (including one for fall 2020). Is there a Jujutsu Kaisen conspiracy or what?
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
That Vlad Love OP is a banger tho
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The fact that the song "My War" feels so chaotic and even repeats the word "monster" several times when showing Eren's Titan form really sells me that the story avoids any black and white morality
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
The tragedy isn't mentioned... Where is Beastars' bop of an OP?!

I guess Beastars season 2 can't be reviewed due to the Netflix license similar to what happened with season 1.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the OPs this season, Black Clover OP 13 is easily my favourite one to listen to on a daily basis. I don't really consider myself a huge fan of K-pop idol groups but when it comes to anime OPs, I'm quite impartial. Every sec of that OP just syncs so well with the visuals its crazy impressive.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:04 am Reply with quote
Imagine not even mentioning TPN's banger of an OP... Also, in regards to the article's title, is this an OP list or an OP song list?? Some parts of the article focus heavily on visuals (JJK and Aot for example) while some focus almost exclusively on the song (Re:Zero and Horimiya). And for Re:Zero the song literally hasn't appeared in the anime yet, with or without visuals.

My top 5 songs would be:

5. Vivid Vice (JJK)
4. Boku no Sensou (AoT)
3. Iro Kousui (Horimiya)
2. Rakuen (Dr.Stone)
1. Identity (TPN)

Honorary Mention: Sudachi no Uta (WEP)
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
hey've been going strong since 2013 and previously rose to #11 on Japan's Billboard charts with their single “Glory.” “Different” is their first anime-related song, but the group has previously toured the world with stops in Seattle, the UK, and Mexico.

Erm... What? The mentionerd "Glory" was also an anime song. It was used as an ending for Yuu Gi Ou: Vrains. And their over song was used as an ending for some short-format TV-series.

It really reminds me how during Nanoha A's review you said something like Nana Mizuki not reaching sucess as a mainstream singer yet, despite the very same series OP being her first song to reach Oricon top 5. I understand that you cannot check everything, but such things only take a minute to check.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2