• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Licenses Karakuri Circus Anime for Spring Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:54 pm Reply with quote
i had a feeling this would get picked up, it would be an ideal show for Toonami. Since some of the characters are copies of characters from Ushio to Tora, I hope they have the same VAs, it's also a great excuse for Brett Weaver to do another Anime.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
No way this gets on Toonami. The story turned into such a rushed mess that it nearly became Darling in the Franx levels of bad.

It's a shame too because the manga is fantastic.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is going to be dubbed or not... idk how well this was viewed on Amazon Prine to see if it warrants a dub in Sentai eyes
Ampharos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling they are eventually gonna acquire everything from Prime's short-lived anime days. Which is fine as I would rather those shows not just expire and fade into obscurity.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense to pick another anime from the creators of Ushio and Tora. I am not sure how great of a pickup this is because the 5 or so episodes of Karakuri Circus I watched were underwhelming.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I totally forgot that this anime even existed.
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
What took them so long? Had a feeling this would wind up in their hands eventually because of the Fujita connection with Ushio and Tora they have.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story turned into such a rushed mess that it nearly became Darling in the Franx levels of bad.

I am sad that this happened since Ushio and Tora had a good adaption even with the cuts.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:12 am Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Quote:
The story turned into such a rushed mess that it nearly became Darling in the Franx levels of bad.

I am sad that this happened since Ushio and Tora had a good adaption even with the cuts.

Hmm, calling it Darling in the FranXX levels of bad doesn't seem right, because this anime isn't bad in the same way. DarliFra's main issue was that it didn't know what it was trying to do after the halfway point and dropped several plot threads along the way.

In my opinion, this anime highlights some of the really good parts of the source manga. Which I haven't read, but it's pretty clear that it's good. The animation wasn't all that great toward the end, but it was generally ok.

The problem is, so, so much was cut out in order to jam all 43 volumes into 36 episodes. To the point where later on there are some pretty cool character showdowns that would be amazing... if the anime ever established who those characters were before that point. It was frustrating, but it still mostly worked because of how these battles played out.

The plot came together in the end, and I could piece together how things got there despite how much was cut out. So it isn't really like DarliFra in that way. I think a better comparison would be if Golden Kamuy season 1, with its subpar animation but excellent story, had also squeezed in season 2's content, cutting out a few of the arcs somehow.

I think the Karakuri Circus anime is good, but only because the source material is really good. At least, as far as I can tell from the anime, since there's no official translation to English. But I'm sure that if you could read the manga first, the anime would be a total disappointment in comparison.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:58 am Reply with quote
I'm preparing myself for the inevitability that this will be a sub only release like it seems like so many of Sentai's recent releases have been but I'm glad it will at least get a physical release if that happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1