• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Stadia Events

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think it is much of a coincidence that Netflix announces a Sonic series right at the time the voice cast mentions not returning, especially since the tone all comes across as finding out they got replaced instead of choosing not to return.

I saw a lot of commentary on Google closing its game studios that were wondering why Google would shut them down so soon when it takes years to make a game. The thing is, I think Google was well aware of that and started them with the intention of allowing the time to make the games. However, Stadia isn't taking off like they wanted and so they probably looked at it and decided that even if they did complete those games the customers wouldn't be there years from now. It's not so much that they expected immediate results, but that the payoff wasn't going to be there later. I don't expect anything significant of those "strategic partnerships." Google just told every publisher out there that it isn't all that committed to the service, so why should third parties care?
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The "shattered expectation" this week for KOF is seeing Iori before Kyo. Since we are now a month into this whole marketing campaign, and given that SNK is still being tight-lipped on gameplay, good move on their part to finally show off a real fan-favorite that people can get hype about.

It's hard to imagine Kyo isn't next, which would all but guarantee Chizuru in 2 weeks for
Team Three Sacred Treasures. This has some fans worried about Mature & Vice, but I'm confident they will be on a resurrected Rugal's team.

I also have a feeling that these trailers are subtly hinting at Point-Mid-Anchor team placement.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Oo, looking forward to maybe seeding more of you. This Week in Games is my favorite regular column still running and your writing style is a big part of that, Heidi. Hope that comes true!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
-Stadia: And another one bites the dust. The parallels with Amazon are pretty appropriate, right down to just yanking talent and then doing nothing with them. I think a lot of it comes down to these tech companies thinking that just because gaming has programmers and coders that it's pure tech. It's not; games USE technology, but those are just a tool to realize an artistic work. They're entertainment, they're art. And truth be told, I feel that kind of Silicon Valley tech bro mentality has been creeping in for awhile which is why you see this constant back and forth between the tech side and the artistic side. It's why you have this subsector of tech junkies who go on about stuff like FPS, resolution, teraflops, etc despite not actually knowing what the hell they're talking about and not explaining how it affects DESIGN, which is the core of gaming. Furthermore, just buying talent and saying "Okay, make it work" is not a good way to run a gaming company.

At the end of the day, Amazon and Google tried to rush things, they tried to force things, so of course they flopped. FFS, the most recent player to gaming is Microsoft who has been around for twenty years now and that has had a series of ups and downs. You can't just expect overnight success, it takes time and often success comes as a surprise.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
the stadia news came unexpected as the google employes i know whom i was talking to a few weeks ago,.were very defensive and sure how the stadia was so great and how google still cared a lot about it.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Pollock confirmed today he is still voing eggman
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
More Windjammers? Nice! Very Happy

I hope they put in a disc golf mode too!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:24 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
the stadia news came unexpected as the google employes i know whom i was talking to a few weeks ago,.were very defensive and sure how the stadia was so great and how google still cared a lot about it.

No offense to your friends, but do they really not have any concept of just how many times Google has mercilessly killed off projects they were enthusiastically pushing just a few years earlier? That link Heidi included is a hilariously-long listing of dearly-departed Google products, and I have no doubt in my mind that we'll see Stadia as a whole join its ranks in the next year or two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1