• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:34 am Reply with quote
Something that's bothered me about the series overall but was increasingly noticeable in this episode is how, although the three girls are purportedly the protagonists, for some reason the writers have hinted multiple times at Towa being "more" special than the other two? She was the only one of the three to even minimally land a blow on Kirinmaru. I've always hated series that have an ensemble cast but give more importance to only one or two members for no apparent reason (see Digimon Adventure's Taichi problem). There should be no reason for Towa to be stronger than Setsuna, they're literally twins, but she's the one that keeps getting the special powerups and making the difference in most of the fights. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Towa and Setsuna attempting to combine their attacks and that being the thing that managed to hit Kirinmaru?

Of course ideally all three girls would have equal power, opportunity and participation in this fight but we already know the writers hate Moroha so i'm not expecting anything from that angle, even though by all rights she should be stronger than the others with the combined Demon Dog and Priestess powers she has. But why does even Setsuna fall behind Towa? If anything it should be the other way around, since Setsuna has trained her demonic powers since childhood

Covnam wrote:
So when he eventually decides to bother with that, Sesshoumaru interrupts, essentially betraying Kirinmaru, but he says that he didn't really mean to. Then they quickly fight because why not and they both leave, ignoring the girls Anime dazed

This made me so confused too. Like, if Sesshoumaru could easily fight Kirinmaru without any significant consequences to protect the twins -even if he claims that's not what he was doing-, and Kirinmaru didn't even bother trying to kill the girls once he figured they weren't a threat, what was even the point of all the trapping people in pearls and trees and separating kids from their parents???
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:44 am Reply with quote
I guess he figured, "These bebehs could grow up to be dangerous to me, so I'll kill them when they're helpless." :bebehs hidden away: "Oh, well, they growed up and still seem pretty helpless, so too much trouble to bother killing them now." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still have no idea what the fight between Kirin and Sesshy was about if he wasn't saving his kids. I mean, I guess we know he was, but he didn't offer a reason, just the denial. Like, "I'm not here for them, I just dropped my sword while flying over. But since I'm here, let's fight." :exchanges nine sword blows: "Ok, done fighting now, seeya."
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess he figured, "These bebehs could grow up to be dangerous to me, so I'll kill them when they're helpless." :bebehs hidden away: "Oh, well, they growed up and still seem pretty helpless, so too much trouble to bother killing them now." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still have no idea what the fight between Kirin and Sesshy was about if he wasn't saving his kids. I mean, I guess we know he was, but he didn't offer a reason, just the denial. Like, "I'm not here for them, I just dropped my sword while flying over. But since I'm here, let's fight." :exchanges nine sword blows: "Ok, done fighting now, seeya."

I strongly suspect the writers intend to carry on the main story questions into another anime season (and maybe even more).

Assuming next week's episode is another adventure-of-the-week, this will then leave Yashahime with 4 more episodes to play with until Hero Academia takes over its JP timeslot.
Either they rush the ending in those last episodes, or they don't because they're confident/already have confirmation they're getting another season of Yashahime made in the future.

The domestic ratings figures in Japan for Yashahime are pretty good (4th place below the entrenched top 3 primetime anime series), and nostalgia is strong. Assuming the showrunners are using viewer ratings (instead of merchandise sales) as an indicator of success, I think it's possible the plan is to drag out Yashahime's main storyline over a longrunning series.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
It's also funny how Moroha supposedly learned to not to use the rouge and "Think Different™" yet it's the very first thing she does here.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Something that's bothered me about the series overall but was increasingly noticeable in this episode is how, although the three girls are purportedly the protagonists, for some reason the writers have hinted multiple times at Towa being "more" special than the other two? She was the only one of the three to even minimally land a blow on Kirinmaru. I've always hated series that have an ensemble cast but give more importance to only one or two members for no apparent reason (see Digimon Adventure's Taichi problem). There should be no reason for Towa to be stronger than Setsuna, they're literally twins, but she's the one that keeps getting the special powerups and making the difference in most of the fights. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Towa and Setsuna attempting to combine their attacks and that being the thing that managed to hit Kirinmaru?

Of course ideally all three girls would have equal power, opportunity and participation in this fight but we already know the writers hate Moroha so i'm not expecting anything from that angle, even though by all rights she should be stronger than the others with the combined Demon Dog and Priestess powers she has. But why does even Setsuna fall behind Towa? If anything it should be the other way around, since Setsuna has trained her demonic powers since childhood

Covnam wrote:
So when he eventually decides to bother with that, Sesshoumaru interrupts, essentially betraying Kirinmaru, but he says that he didn't really mean to. Then they quickly fight because why not and they both leave, ignoring the girls Anime dazed

This made me so confused too. Like, if Sesshoumaru could easily fight Kirinmaru without any significant consequences to protect the twins -even if he claims that's not what he was doing-, and Kirinmaru didn't even bother trying to kill the girls once he figured they weren't a threat, what was even the point of all the trapping people in pearls and trees and separating kids from their parents???

Reminds me of Blue Exorcist putting it like that. One twin more powerful than the other, turns out to be opposite and said "weak" twin gets jealous/pissed off due to it.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Covnam wrote:

I never took the 3 girls as equally important, Towa has always been the main character and if she is not supposed to be then its just another thing the shows fails to communicate.
delariean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
They just announced who will be taking over for the late Kirby Morrow for the voice of Miroku:

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1359230783609856010
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

Reminds me of Blue Exorcist putting it like that. One twin more powerful than the other, turns out to be opposite and said "weak" twin gets jealous/pissed off due to it.

Yeah but in AoEx the difference in power between the twins is at the core of the plot and a constant point of tension and conflict between them as characters, plus the story does explain why the difference existed in the first place.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:

I never took the 3 girls as equally important, Towa has always been the main character and if she is not supposed to be then its just another thing the shows fails to communicate.

What i mean is that there's really no reason whatsoever for Towa to be The Protagonist versus the other two, not within the story -why would she be stronger than her own twin- and not in narrative terms -her being The Protagonist doesn't have any bearance on the plot, herself as a character or her relationships with the other characters-. So she plays the protagonist just because; and gets to do slightly more important things and gets bigger power-ups than the other girls just because she's the protagonist.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I don’t know about any of you, but Towa being a “first among equals” alongside Setsuna and Moroha isn’t as egregious to me as the complete lack of presence that Hisui and even Kohaku have had in this series. Especially since the marketing made such a big deal of the show featuring the two men aged up from the previous series.
Speaking about Hisui

People who hate shipping may jump down my throat, but I was legitimately looking forward to seeing how Hisui would try to woo over Setsuna, how their relationship would develop, and the comedy that would bring. Like what would happen if Hisui tried his father’s moves out of the misguided idea that “well he did win my mother’s affection, so that must be how he did it!”? Likely proceeding to get slapped like his old man did.
Or you could have an episode where Moroha asks Setsuna what her and Hisui’s relationship is in a teasing manner, and Setsuna just matter of factly states they’re already engaged “cause we’re demon slayers and life is short”, prompting protests from Towa, which are silenced by the old “you’re a fish out of water, shut up!” speech, but in the end Setsuna does become curious about Towa’s idea of romance.

Furthermore, on romance, even though it can be an overpowering flavor for many if it’s used wrong, the fact is that it has always been a very important ingredient in Rumiko’s recipe for a good story. It played a big role in making Inuyasha so compelling, and so the lack of it in Yashahime makes it feel flavorless.
Maybe that’s why I’m so forgiving with SessRin, I’m so starved for any romantic development in Yashahime that when some of it finally comes along it’d feel ungrateful to be choosy! Laughing
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
To me, one of the funniest moments in this show was when Hisui told his dad that Setsuna and Towa were his friends. I could maybe understand Setsuna, but even then I'm not sure they've had an on-screen conversation, by that point. Basically, if Hisui wasn't the son of a main character from Inuyasha I don't think he would even have a name in this show
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 19
Filler, but I actually liked it, it was just a fun side adventure, actually felt like something Rumiko herself would write.

Setsuna was more antagonistic, which suits her character way more than tagging along with Towa and Moroha as a protagonist for no real reason. I think Setsuna would've worked better if she did start out more like this, a no nonsense demonslayer that would physically clash with Towa and Moroha due to her ruthlessness on the job and Towa's opposition to her methods.
Hisui actually had more to do this episode then the rest of the series combined (even including the episode with Miroku), and he actually had some interaction with Setsuna surprisingly enough.

Biggest problem I see, is that this episode (or an alt version of it) probably should have gone closer to the beginning of the series. Like I said, Setsuna played an antagonistic role much more suitable considering what her characterization is like, but that's the Setsuna we should've seen BEFORE she's spent most of the past 18 episodes tagging along with her sister and cousin for no real reason.
Also, at the start of the show it would make sense that nobody would trust Towa enough to clue her in on their scam, but after they've already spent so long battling alongside her and getting to know her, why the hell wouldn't they trust her enough to say "we're having a mock battle to try and scam some noble tart into giving us longterm employment, don't come by and screw it up"?

Next episode is a plot episode again, so perhaps that'll be somewhat fruitful before the series/season 1 ends six episodes after.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting some Black Cat deja vus with this anime. The staff can't tell what how should the plot be between comedy or seriousness, making the leads' characterization as simple as possible. It's especially cringe when the previous episode was supposed to move the plot or make the cast care about their lineage or enemies.
Uchay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I actually sorta enjoyed the episode itself for the silliness despite some nonsense, but holy shit it couldn't have a more awful timing. If it had happened at the start of the series it'd be one thing, but *after* last episode?
What the hell, did they just created a bunch of standalone episodes and then threw them into a mixer to decide their order or something? This and that godawful episode about Moroha's "mentor" gives me this feeling honestly. Maybe we are still getting the first part of that! Laughing
For anyone who says it's a comedic monster of the week series, I'm sorry but it's obvious it's trying to have an overeaching plot, it's just doing such an horrible of working that plot out that people could be mistaken.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
James expressed my feelings as well. This episode was pretty bad, was a waste and so many actions taken by the characters didn't make sense.

Roadwarior2 wrote:

Biggest problem I see, is that this episode (or an alt version of it) probably should have gone closer to the beginning of the series.

I wonder if this really was supposed to be earlier in the series, maybe a couple of episodes after the first. At least then it would have made some sense for its place in the narrative.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
James expressed my feelings as well. This episode was pretty bad, was a waste and so many actions taken by the characters didn't make sense.

Roadwarior2 wrote:

Biggest problem I see, is that this episode (or an alt version of it) probably should have gone closer to the beginning of the series.

I wonder if this really was supposed to be earlier in the series, maybe a couple of episodes after the first. At least then it would have made some sense for its place in the narrative.

They tried to pull it off in the beginning, remember the devil cat episode.

You guys probably don't remember because it was both terrible used and abandoned in the next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 29