• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cells at Work!! Season 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm actually a little glad these episodes aren't focusing on Red Blood Cell and her relationship with White Blood Cell. I always thought it was more fun when it's actually doing its premise - showing us body functions in a fun way - and pretty boring when it's not. Not that replacing this with "a particular Platelet with a design gimmick is doing the unrelated to the premise stuff instead" is much better, mind.
And also, the Memory Cell gag just felt... like the opposite of what that segment was supposed to be? I also felt like the second segment was gonna be something about auto-immune diseases, but it colored me surprised halfway through, so I'm fine with it.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode. Whilst it’s true that we didn’t get to see much of Red Blood Cell, I liked how White Blood Cell was cheering on Backward Cap Platelet. It was cute. Mama Megakaryocyte was pretty cool too.

I agree with the second episode being a bit disappointing. Consisted of mostly still frames and sloppy art. I hope this won’t be the case for the rest of the episodes.

I wasn’t aware that Code Black was also listed with 8 episodes. I thought it was 13? I did hear that Code Black will be having an hour special at some point (I forgot when).

Last edited by ab2143 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
#919730 wrote:
I wasn’t aware that Code Black was also listed with 8 episodes. I thought it was 13? I did hear that Code Black will be having an hour special at some point (I forgot when).

She's wrong. It will indeed run for 13 episodes.
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
The weird "smooth look" of the animation is due to the odd choice to blur the edges of the cell shading. It gives it a weird airbrushed look that's totally out of place for anime. Since Code Black has a weird "gritty" filter added to most of the shadows, I wonder if they didn't blur the edges here to try and give it a softer, more child-friendly feel.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
#919730 wrote:

She's wrong. It will indeed run for 13 episodes.

Apologies! We corrected the error.

#Bird_Black wrote:
The weird "smooth look" of the animation is due to the odd choice to blur the edges of the cell shading. It gives it a weird airbrushed look that's totally out of place for anime. Since Code Black has a weird "gritty" filter added to most of the shadows, I wonder if they didn't blur the edges here to try and give it a softer, more child-friendly feel.

I thought the black hatch marks (seen in Code Black) was part of the original manga's art style as well. It still happens sometimes on White Blood Cell's face but I thought I recalled it being the predominant way the show was shaded before. It's in Code Black but very obviously some kind of filter instead of part of the original drawing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Q4000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is the first time we've met Megakaryocyte, a white blood cell responsible for creating platelets.

It's not a white blood cell, though they do come from the same pluripotent cells that also differentiate into granulocytes (ie, WBC).

Thanks for the review.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
AE3803: Senpai, it says here on this note that I have to make a delivery to the uvula. What the heck is a uvula?
AA5100: It's that little dangly thing that hangs down in the body's-
AE3803: Boxer shorts! Okay, here I go! (Run down a road leading to "Rectum")
AA5100: Not THAT little dangly thing, the one in the throat!
AE3803: ...I knew that. I knew that.

...Maybe that kind of humor is better reserved for Code Black.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For comparison, a flu vaccine could have been represented by the capsules just having dead bodies inside and the COVID vaccine would be represented as blueprints for making COVID training dummies.

The flu vaccine one is a good comparison, but I also want to point out that for the COVID vaccines, the example Matt gave is most appropriate for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine, which uses pieces of viral RNA (i.e., a type of genetic material). Other COVID vaccines use a different approaches, some of which are more similar to the flu vaccine example.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:55 am Reply with quote
I've heard that in the hundreds of Cells at Work spin-offs there's a Bacteria at Work series that's about the good bacteria in the body. I was intrigued by it after this episode so I took a look into it and let's just say that the bacteria looks a little different.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
What a waste of a season. The lactic acid bacteria thing has run well over its course, it's starting to read like "alternative medicine" propaganda. Five episodes for their arc, damn. I wish the cute critters in the OP had remained a puzzle.
At least this one focused mostly in the more interesting cancer part. It's also deeply ironic that out of three immune cells introduced this season, two of them have turned against the body, one of them via virus, the other by... malfunction?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The only episodes this season I liked were these lactic acid ones Razz
Nekomimilum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:56 am Reply with quote
The music seemed a step up from usual, particularly dramatic this episode (Cancer II part 1).
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:52 am Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the score in both seasons of this show and don't think it gets enough acclaim. I watched this week's episode twice and really paid attention to the music the second time around. It was at times glorious and at other times disturbing.

I also like Suehiro Kenichiro's scores for Girls' Last Tour and Golden Kamuy. He's a comer.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame this season was only 8 episodes long. I'd like to see the rest of the final volume adapted, especially the new coronavirus two-parter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1