• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Awards Crown Jujutsu Kaisen as Anime of the Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Yūsuke Kobayashi won Japanese voice actor of the year for Subaru.

The awards actually had a good result!
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Nice awards nice, Jujutsu Kaisen defiantly deserves its praise and the world.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, for the first time since 2016, I didn't cringe and I thought the Anime Awards overall was, not amazing, but decent. Few nominees were questionable but eh not too bad. The Vtuber presentation was pretty dope. Anyways grats to everyone.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Not gonna lie, for the first time since 2016, I didn't cringe and I thought the Anime Awards overall was, not amazing, but decent. Few nominees were questionable but eh not too bad. The Vtuber presentation was pretty dope. Anyways grats to everyone.

Agreed, it was actually decent
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I've typically only seen the results, so this was the first one I watched live, albeit alongside the Trash Taste crew, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how... well diverse the results actually were. I love her, but had no hopes that Catarina was going to win best protagonist, for example, and that Beaststars was going to get shafted entirely because of furry hate, but there were pleasant surprises and I'm really happy about them.

Will say that Jujutsu Kaisen was too new to really feel like it earned the win for best anime of 2020. Would give that to Appare Ranman or Dorohedoro myself, but overall was pleasantly surprised by the results and really enjoyed the pacing and style of this presentation.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm satisfied with JJK's and Kaguya's victories.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Very few of my personal picks won (Noi was robbed for best girl! Robbed, I tell you!) but overall, I'm pretty at peace with most of the winners. I can't help but wonder though, if "big popular shonen property du jour" is going to win AotY ever year.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:30 am Reply with quote
I thought Beastars should have won anime of the year and I'm disappointed Dorohodero didn't win anything but I appreciate we had a variety of winners and I enjoyed most of the winners and Jujutsu Kaisen is a solid show so I can't say I'm too frustrated. I'm actually a little surprised Eizouken didn't win anime of the year with how much of a critical darling it was.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:43 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
I can't help but wonder though, if "big popular shonen property du jour" is going to win AotY ever year.

Thankfully, all of the Anime Awards stats has been tabulated here, and from the looks of it there has been exceptions like Yuri on Ice and Made in Abyss getting AotY.

Now the better question is will there be an Anime of the Year winner for a show with a mostly female-led cast?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:53 am Reply with quote
Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen have been the only shows that you could call popular mainstream shonen anime that won the award. Yuri on Ice was sports. Made in Abyss was seinen. The original Devilman manga was technically shonen but I don't know that you could group it with shows like JJK and Demon Slayer. The awards were significantly better this year than they were a few years ago when MHA kept winning a lot of the other categories.
zero-r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:18 am Reply with quote
I’m glad to see Kaguya up there, and that’s about it. Even if the award doesn’t amount to anything, especially if we take in consideration where it comes from.

The fact that they didn’t add categories for “Best original series “ and “Best romance” makes this a fail though.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:17 am Reply with quote
JJK winning three awards is plenty. Beastars or Dorohedoro should have won AOTY. I liked Great Pretender but the final episode felt a little too convenient. Second case with the garbage brothers was also quite boring.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:59 am Reply with quote
Gotta agree with others here, Beastars and Dorohedoro feel like they were clearly head and shoulders above the competition. Both were just so unique. Dorohedoro has a weird, fucked up style with amazing world building, and I can't get enough of it. Beastars is... really horny, and tackles it's themes with grace and maturity. I think the only real downside to either is that they both are clearly incomplete with just the first season. Between the two I'd go with Dorohedoro, but I'd be happy with either winning.

Jijutsu Kaisen is... fine I guess. I dunno, I feel like Jijutsu Kaisen is just Bleach again (at least, the early part where it's more urban fantasy with evil creatures showing up, before the soul society stuff). It's not bad, it just feels well-worn to me. I still appreciate shounen, but it has to shake up the formula a bit more. I did only watch like 6 episodes though, maybe it has more twists and turns later.
siromkun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:00 am Reply with quote
I don't know, might be just me, but anime which didn't even finished airing getting best anime of the year award? kinda doesn't make sense...
spegasaur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:35 am Reply with quote
I think this is the first time I've looked at the results of the Crunchyroll awards and thought they were reasonable. Maybe not what I would choose, but they all seem... reasonable.

As for JJK winning AOTY, I'd guess that Dorohedoro and Beaststars suffered from the Netflix jail reducing the amount of buzz about the series. And JJK is a very good series with fairly widespread appeal - which crucially only won three awards (a marked improvement on previous years!). So I guess congratulations are in order to the organisers - they seem to have (eventually) stumbled on a format that works! Let's see if lightning strikes twice next year...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2