• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - One Direct-ion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see anything particularly bad about Legend of Mana HD, especially nowhere near the level of the mobile ports of Final Fantasy games where the issue was the new sprites and UI just looked plain ugly. SaGa Frontier definitely looks a bit off though, and I have to raise my eyebrow at the "new scenario for Asellus" comment, which I hope means a bonus story like Fuse rather than them replacing her old scenario.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'll be playing Bravely Default II next week. I'm looking forward to Sengoku Musou 5 in the summer and Triangle Strategy next year as the demo was great.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm really interested in Famicom Detective Club, although I've never played the originals, so I can't really tell how extensive the changes are (beyond the visuals, obviously).

Does anyone know if it would be worth playing the originals before checking out the remakes? (The language barrier wouldn't be an issue.)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Wednesday was a good day even without the Direct.

-Pyra and Mythra: I was expecting a situation where they would have Rex and Pyra be like Ice Climbers, but I'm not complaining with Pyra and Mythra doing the old Zelda-Sheik swap mechanic.

-Famicom Detective Club: That is a VERY deep cut with its only representation overseas being Ayumi as a Smash trophy. Also bonkers they got Yuuko Minaguchi to voice her after she voiced her in the Satteleview sidestory Lost Memories in the snow. It's also funny seeing people go "WHAT!?" over finding Sakamoto was a story writer on these, because they're unaware that visual novels are a forte of his. Looking forward to these.

-Mario Golf: The only way to make gold fun.

-Square: I'm liking Triangle Strategy so far, especially how it manages spell and skill usage as well as putting a focus on reactional environments. The first fight is a trial by fire and you REALLY have to keep you surroundings in mind. Also weird how this is SE's first strategy RPG in a decade with the last one being the aforementioned Tactics Ogre remake. That, FFT, and Front Mission need to be properly resurrected and I don't think it's any coincidence that series way more into the down dirty of geopolitical situations and allegories of societal issues were shoved aside right around the time the company was trying to keep from rocking the boat and talking about ugly, but relevant matters, but I digress.

Legend of Mana is a pleasant surprise, even having Yoko Shimamura oversee remastering the soundtrack. Saga Frontier is the bigger one considering that they're inserting in cut story so I'm interested in how that goes.

-Zelda: Oh Aonuma, you tease. Still, more Hyrule Warriors is welcome and I really want to re-experience SS' stellar level design.

-Splatoon 3: Alright, our previous mascots were a pop duo and rappers, so I'm predicting punk band for 3.

-Samurai Warriors 3: Ah, focusing on Nobunaga. Wonder if they'll finally put in Yasuke after the splash he made in Nioh and surging interest in him.

-Ninja Gaiden: Bah, Sigma releases

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:18 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
I didn't see anything particularly bad about Legend of Mana HD, especially nowhere near the level of the mobile ports of Final Fantasy games where the issue was the new sprites and UI just looked plain ugly.

Yeah, I think Heidi comparing this to the mobile ports for FF V & VI is going overboard. This is pretty much just like what SaGa Frontier is getting, except where SaGa's characters look to be pre-rendered, Legend of Mana's characters are outright spritework, so it's only natural that they'd look a bit pixelated compared to the high-res backgrounds they're now on. Had Square-Enix smoothed over the sprites then we'd be getting a completely different argument.

Unlike Heidi, though, I am absolutely psyched for this, because I absolutely loved Legend of Mana back in the day, and even when I played a little bit of it again a few years back I was still having fun. In comparison, I played Secret of Mana (generally considered one of the best entries) a few months back, and I just couldn't get into it.

Quote:
I have to raise my eyebrow at the "new scenario for Asellus" comment, which I hope means a bonus story like Fuse rather than them replacing her old scenario.

SaGa Frontier was infamously unfinished, with Fuse's entire story being excised & Asellus' story being truncated. All that the remaster is doing is adding those cut elements back in, so Asellus' story will now be 100% complete, as originally intended.
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
I'm really interested in Famicom Detective Club, although I've never played the originals, so I can't really tell how extensive the changes are (beyond the visuals, obviously).

Does anyone know if it would be worth playing the originals before checking out the remakes? (The language barrier wouldn't be an issue.)

Well, if you can put up with archaic, heavily menu-driven adventure game design that was typical for Japanese ADVs of the era, then I say go for it. Just be aware that they're not super-user-friendly in presentation by modern standards.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
In comparison, I played Secret of Mana (generally considered one of the best entries) a few months back, and I just couldn't get into it.

Secret of mana was the first one, but without the nostalgia it's not that interesting. Trial of mana is more fun and secret of evermore does more interesting stuff.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who got Tactics Ogre vibes from Triangle Strategy. Octopath was fun but I felt it's disconnected story and party members really held it back from greatness so I'm glad to see the new game be more story focused.

OtherSideofSky wrote:

I'd recommend them, but like mentioned they're pretty clunky. But given I grew up on clunky console adventure games like Uninvited, Deja Vu, Shadowgate, Elvira, and Waxworks those are far and away more clunky than FDC is. There's also a SNES port of The Girl Who Stands Behind if you want to try a more advanced version rather than an NES one.

But I see no harm in waiting for the remakes either.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
In comparison, I played Secret of Mana (generally considered one of the best entries) a few months back, and I just couldn't get into it.

Secret of mana was the first one, but without the nostalgia it's not that interesting. Trial of mana is more fun and secret of evermore does more interesting stuff.

Final Fantasy Adventure was the first one, and I played that a couple of years ago for the first time & had a good time (after a slightly rough start), so I was disappointed that Secret didn't do much for me, despite it being so beloved. I'll definitely give OG Trials a try, since I have Collection of Mana, but I am absolutely up for a full revisit of Legend.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
With Project Triangle Strategy looming, I am now completely overwhelmed with tactical RPGs that I don't have time to play. I only just started Fire Emblem: Three Houses at Christmas, and recently picked up Banner of the Maid, because TRPG + French Revolution + Magical Girls sounds like 100% my thing. Add to this two long-delayed Kickstarter TRPGs that are finally on the verge of shipping after years of delays, the indie Arcadian Atlas and the infamous Kickstarter fiasco Unsung Story, and 2021 is gonna be a crazy prolific year for this genre.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Mario Golf
Triangle Strategy
Worlds End Club
Monster Hunter Rise
Monster Hunter Stories 2

so many games to play this year.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
For XB2 in smash I was hoping to see Rex with a similar mechanic to pokemon trainer having multiple blades to summon or being able to pair up with different blades similar to the ice climbers pair.
I do like the implementation they went with though. If it was just Pyra (or just Mythra) I would have been disappointed, but I love seeing them as a single swappable character. Classic Zelda/Shiek was one of my favorite characters to play (and I was disappointed that they were separated) so I'm looking forward to being able to play with a similar mechanic again.

It's great to see SE bring two PS1 era RPGs back in higher quality. I hope these turn out well and we get to see more. There are so many PS1 RPGs I'd love to play in my backlog but haven't for one reason or another, but it'd definitely be easier to do so if they got a fresh coat of paint
Xe4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:00 am Reply with quote
The article didn't mention it, but they also announced The Outer Wilds getting ported to the Switch sometime this summer. That game is incredible, so if the Switch is your primary console and you haven't picked it up yet, you really should.
Alas, it's difficult go explain what makes it so good without big spoilers.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Also, please port the Tactics Ogre remake to a platform besides PSP, I beg you.)

I'd rather they tweak it rather than port it as is.

Enemies in the game's side missions leveling up with your highest level character is a dumb mechanic.

Superfluous abilities that lvl up as they get used dumb.

No voice acting which the Saturn Port had? dumb.

Quote:
It contains one really good game, one game that feels like it was trying too hard to top the original really good game, and one game that's just kind of a mess. Also, no Yaiba, but who cares?

For what it's worth this collection contains the Sigma releases of all three Nu-NG.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:09 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-Famicom Detective Club: That is a VERY deep cut with its only representation overseas being Ayumi as a Smash trophy.

Hey now, that's not true! She was also a Mystery Mushroom costume in Super Mario Maker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2