• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation TV Ranking, February 8-14

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:05 am Reply with quote
I wonder are ratings of late night animes really exist? If it's true, do some late night animes have great ratings while others not so much? Is 2.6 good for AOT at late night?
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
I am so happy that Yashahime is rank number three. It is by far one of my favorite anime of the last two seasons
Eddy564

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:39 am Reply with quote
AOT cracking the top 10 is definitely a solid feat considering it airs just after midnight.
Changeman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
And there are still people who say that the Japanese hate SnK. tsk, tsk
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, quite interesting seeing AoT reach the animation TV ranking.

ErikaD.D wrote:
I wonder are ratings of late night animes really exist? If it's true, do some late night animes have great ratings while others not so much? Is 2.6 good for AOT at late night?

Ratings of late night anime exist. They're just so low that the vast, vast majority of late night anime don't ever reach the animation TV ranking. We might not ever know if a 2.6 rating is considered "good" for the AoT production committee (the real money comes from merchandise and home media sales, not really the TV ratings), however, a late night anime reaching the animation TV ranking is something that you just don't see happening every week.

Changeman wrote:

Who says that?
Changeman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Hmm, quite interesting seeing AoT reach the animation TV ranking.

ErikaD.D wrote:

Ratings of late night anime exist. They're just so low that the vast, vast majority of late night anime don't ever reach the animation TV ranking. We might not ever know if a 2.6 rating is considered "good" for the AoT production committee (the real money comes from merchandise and home media sales, not really the TV ratings), however, a late night anime reaching the animation TV ranking is something that you just don't see happening every week.

Changeman wrote:

Who says that?

But it is clear that TV ratings matter. The broadcaster pays to show the program and if it has a large audience it means that there will be people watching the commercials and thus viewing the sponsors' product. Thus showing the broadcaster the advantages of investing in anime.
2.6% for anime broadcast at this time is a lot. We cannot forget that even though the streaming market is growing, television channels still have a great influence on anime production.

On the other part, there are more comments that I see on some youtube channels, 4chan, some twitters, etc. I usually ignore it, but I always wonder where these people find out.
Shuichi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I am so happy that Yashahime is rank number three. It is by far one of my favorite anime of the last two seasons

It will probably drop next week when Chibi Maruko Chan is back on air.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
But it is clear that TV ratings matter. The broadcaster pays to show the program and if it has a large audience it means that there will be people watching the commercials and thus viewing the sponsors' product. Thus showing the broadcaster the advantages of investing in anime.

Uh, you do know, in the case of late night anime, it's the production committee that buys the timeslot on the network, not the other way around?...
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
2.6% for anime broadcast at this time is a lot. We cannot forget that even though the streaming market is growing, television channels still have a great influence on anime production.

TV ratings matter for shows that are on during normal waking human hours (such as One Piece and Doraemon), but not for late night anime (such as Attack on Titan). Justin Sevakis wrote an Answerman article about that back in June 2018.

Quote:
But these days most anime is shown late at night, during hours rented out by the producers, and the programs are shown as infomercials. For those timeslots, the TV networks don't really care how many people watch, since they get paid by the show producers no matter what. And since it's so late at night, most people are watching the show online, or using recording devices to time-delay the show to watch later. Any "live" TV ratings for these shows will be comically low, and a completely inaccurate assessment of who's watching.

Source: animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2018-06-25/.133369

Changeman also wrote:
On the other part, there are more comments that I see on some youtube channels, 4chan, some twitters, etc. I usually ignore it, but I always wonder where these people find out.

Hmm, I'm not sure where they find that out.
Changeman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Uh, you do know, in the case of late night anime, it's the production committee that buys the timeslot on the network, not the other way around?...

I confuse NHK with MBS (which is part of the SnK production committee), when the broadcaster that shows an anime is part of the production committee, so at this point it is clear that the audience matters.

Quote:
TV ratings matter for shows that are on during normal waking human hours (such as One Piece and Doraemon), but not for late night anime (such as Attack on Titan). Justin Sevakis wrote an Answerman article about that back in June 2018.

This is mainly because the audience at that time is low, so the sale of goods (BD and others) are important. The Kaifuku author is constantly asking people to buy the products in the series. But as I said in the post above, I confuse the channels, NHK is not part of the anime production committee, in this case it is MBS. When the channel that is part of the production committee has a good audience because of the anime it is sponsoring, in this case it is indisputable that it matters. For example, the fact that Kaifuku is the most accessed anime on the AT-X channel.

I apologize for my previous mistake.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:30 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

Late-night ratings used to be published sub rosa but that practice ended some years ago.

The most popular shows might draw a two rating.

If you're curious about ratings from an historical perspective, there's a lot of information on this thread: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=11958 (Warning: it's pretty long. You might want to start around page 10.)
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

It's honestly amazing since it's a live rating. Every show gets a rating but publishing long lists of low rated shows is rather meaningless. Rating are for advertisers really and are irrelevant for late night anime that are like ads themselves.

For a daytime anime the TV channel pays for the show but for late night anime the production committee pays the TV channel for the airtime and since late nigh airtime is cheap it's why there is so much late night anime. Think of late night anime as like infomercials in the US.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
The last time I remember a late night anime cracking into this list was the last episode of Shin Mazinger Shogeki Z-Hen, although it was tied for 10th. Still, it was there. I think it had the benefit of airing earlier than normal for late night anime in some places, I believe like 11:30 PM or something.

That was like, 2009 though. Possible I'm not remembering any number of things between then and now.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-04/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-21-27
(A pretty good picture of how much things have changed in a bit over a decade - Mazinger was tied for last with a 4.4)
Changeman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
The last time I remember a late night anime cracking into this list was the last episode of Shin Mazinger Shogeki Z-Hen, although it was tied for 10th. Still, it was there. I think it had the benefit of airing earlier than normal for late night anime in some places, I believe like 11:30 PM or something.

That was like, 2009 though. Possible I'm not remembering any number of things between then and now.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-04/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-21-27
(A pretty good picture of how much things have changed in a bit over a decade - Mazinger was tied for last with a 4.4)

Jujutsu Kaisen also: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-12-04/japanese-animation-tv-ranking-november-23-29/.167047
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1