• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Season 1, Hunter x Hunter Seasons 1-3 Leave Netflix U.S. on March 7

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:19 am Reply with quote
One of the reasons why I like physical media. I can watch what I like whenever I want to. Or I could let a friend/family preview it.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote
the subs for these on Netflix were either horrendous garbage or just straight up used for the dub if you were looking to see it Japanese.

The problem I have is Part 1 - 2 is pretty hard to find in decent video (and sub) quality outside of Netflix
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
I've known this was coming for sometime now still a damn shame to see Netflix lose such shows but that is the nature of streaming always has been and always will be.
Nanashi95

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:01 am Reply with quote
Oh great thing that I just started Hunter x Hunter...
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:27 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
One of the reasons why I like physical media. I can watch what I like whenever I want to. Or I could let a friend/family preview it.

Yeah, but physical media takes space in your house, it hasn't some features like the ability to "remember" the episode you last saw (some video players on PC do that, I don't know if it's the same for standalone players). Physical media can also cost a lot.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
hikura wrote:

Yeah, but physical media takes space in your house, it hasn't some features like the ability to "remember" the episode you last saw (some video players on PC do that, I don't know if it's the same for standalone players). Physical media can also cost a lot.

This is why you then rip your physical media to a media server - can't deny it's a lot of work and money, though.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
To which I say owning anything comes with responsibility. I can borrow my friend's dog, but owning one takes up time space and money. I own my favorite shows because they're my favorites and I will go through extra effort to make sure I never lose them.

Why, back in the day if you 'missed' a show...that was it. Your VHS wasn't hooked up properly at the time? you may never see that thing again.

Everyone needs that one good Otaku friend that owns all his stuff. They surely appreciate lending it out and the praise that comes with it.

Praise the collectors! You keep the industry going!
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

This is why you then rip your physical media to a media server - can't deny it's a lot of work and money, though.

Having a personal Media server can be good, sure. I don't know if I would ever lose time to rip all the anime I have, though, I did that 10/15 years ago, but nowadays I just don't have the motivation to do It anymore.
Big Green Mean Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Damn, Netflix can't keep shit!
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
hikura wrote:

A lot of media players have the ability to remember which episode was played last. Streaming services have to be paid for. If they don't have all the seasons you are out of luck. No one wants to watch half of a show especially starting in the middle. Next you have to pay for a decent internet service that gets good speed. That's going to cost a good rate. Not everyone has access to such things. If your internet is slow or is down your not streaming anything.
There is deals on physical media during a lot of holidays. Plus not everyone keeps their media. You can swap it with friends/at a swap meet or get a few bucks by selling it.

Last edited by hikura on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Kinda ridiculous that HxH is being removed before they even put the whole show on there
khaos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote
[Do not advocate piracy or regional-licensing-circumvention measures here ~Zalis]
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Especially sucks since Netflix is still the only place to stream the Stardust Crusaders English dub. So when it disappears, Parts 1-2 (season 1) dub will be exclusive to Hulu, Parts 3 and 4 (87 total episodes) dubs will be home video/online purchase exclusive. Part 5 is currently streaming on Adult Swim with a cable subscription, but who knows how much longer that will be there. Also no place currently streams all of the Hunter x Hunter dub in North America (though notably Funimation in the UK is streaming the whole thing). It's been years and years since these show have been on Toonami (not including Jojo's Part 5 of course), so there is little chance this is due to AS having residual rights. Viz Media is just being slow to act and not caring about their products (or trying to drive bluray purchases, which I can't say is an effective strategy).

I do find it ironic Netflix getting exclusive rights to the Rohan OVAs (so Viz may or may not be able to get bluray rights) before streaming Part 4, but also losing the Jojo's seasons they already have less than a month later. Laughing
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Physical media really isn't the "pain in the butt" hyperbolic deal people make it out to be.

Sure digital streaming is good for pausing and continuing where you left off, and space issues if that's what you're having. But if you're a collector, you're definitely not the same audience as the digital market anyway which is aimed at purely consumable audiences.

Always best to buy shows you really love and want to keep around. I have shelves full of classic anime DVDs I love, and will still be looking to purchase more, but I'm much more picky now. Mainly pick up standalone films, and usually wait for TV series to complete their story before looking into box set deals.

What I do wish streaming services would do is be transparent about when licenses to series end further in advance so those who are in the middle or watching it or had it in their lists can do so rather than get notice a week in advance. Sometimes that's enough, but for lengthy shows, a month would be the bare minimum. But I understand that there may be some behind the scenes complications and negotiations etc. that might have to be kept hidden.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the Stardust Crusaders dub leaving Netflix, all of Jojo's and Hunter x Hunter is available streaming easily on tons of other official sources, some of them free even, like Crunchyroll, Tubi TV, and Hulu. It's not like Viz's rights to the show are expiring and backlog shows expire on Netflix all the time. So I'm not sure why people in this thread are kind of overreacting and making it seem like these shows are going away forever or that this is a major loss to Netflix. You can also watch the same dub episodes of Hunter x Hunter on Hulu and Funimation that were on Netflix. As mentioned in above posts, the streams for Jojo's on Netflix were also using dubtitles and as I recall Netflix was streaming a censored version of the show. So it's not like it was a particularly great stream of Jojo's. It's also possible these shows can come back to Netflix later on. Hunter x Hunter has left Netflix and then came back plenty of times before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2