• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you prioritize what shows to watch each season?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
What has stayed as my top priorities are, which are usually the show I watch last on that day:
Saturday: So I am a Spider, So What
Sunday: Horimiya
Monday: Non Non Biyori Nonstop
Tuesday: Otherside Picnic
Wednesday: Wonder Egg Priority
Thursday: Re:Zero Season 2, Part 2
Friday: Heaven's Design Team

I can't be certain that if these are the ones I think are the best, or even enjoying the most, but I think that they are the ones I have currently most been looking forward to in these days, so I watch them last.

The least priority ones tend to be ones I watch first on those days, so I would cut them out entirely if I decided that watching a show that I was actually interested in was worth more. They less stick in my mind, but I will try and recall them.
Saturday: Back Arrow
Sunday: Dr Ramune
Monday: Skate-Leading☆Stars (Ex: Arm is worse, but is so bad it wins off a bit more)
Tuesday: Wave!! Surfing Yappe!!
Wednesday: I don't consider anything here a low priority.
Thursday: I CHU
Friday: Dr Stone season 2

At least I think that is it, I might have got a day wrong and or put shows on same day on two different.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:39 am Reply with quote
I'm an oddball in the sense that I only follow the less interesting shows weekly. I let the shows I'm really interested in air to completion and then binge-watch them. Sometimes there are exceptions but that's how I typically roll. So I'm not following stuff like Attack on Titan, Re:zero, Promised Neverland and Dr Stone weekly even though those are the shows I'm excited about.

The shows I'm watching weekly at the moment are: The Quintessential Quintuplets, The Last Dungeon boonies something something, Hidden Dungeon only I can enter and... uh... Redo of Healer. Every season I look for the generic looking light novel adaptions because they make for a good brainless, easily digestible weekly viewing that don't require me to focus. Sometimes those shows actually turn out to be enjoyable like this season's Last Dungeon boonies something something which is pretty funny. Also going into those shows with zero expectations just kinda heightens any good thing the show does, no matter how tiny.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I tend to watch like DuskyPredator, saving my favorites until the end of the day unless my life interferes with my anime watching and I'm behind, then I will still watch something I especially enjoy as the last thing before bed and leave something I enjoy less for the next day if I have to.
My favorite day of the week is Saturday, both for SK8 the Infinity and Horimiya
I'm also enjoying Skate Leading Stars, So I'm a Spider, So What? Bottom Tier Character Tomozaki, The Promised Neverland, Jujutsu Kaisen, and probably the Cells at Work (both Code Black and reg)

The ones I look forward to the least are...Vlad love maybe. I'm not even sure I'll try to catch up and finish this since they waited and dumped a bunch and it's just such a stupid premise. Maybe if I watch more I'll like it more, but it will depend on what kind of time and motivation I have.
also not really loving Wave!! Let's go surfing, LBX Girls and probably Hortensia Saga.

I have on paper which ones come out what day so I know what to expect to look for usually each day that I am watching. (Including shorts)
Mon - 7 shows
Tues - 6 shows
Wed - 7 shows
Thurs - 10 shows
Fri - 11 shows
Sat - 7 shows (8 if I watch Vlad)
Sun - 9 shows

A lot I didn't name I still enjoy, they just didn't make it to the top or bottom.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:38 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
The ones I look forward to the least are...Vlad love maybe. I'm not even sure I'll try to catch up and finish this since they waited and dumped a bunch and it's just such a stupid premise. Maybe if I watch more I'll like it more, but it will depend on what kind of time and motivation I have.

I binged the episodes and posted my thoughts in the Series Discussion area. I do think binging it can make it worse, and could be a bit hard to explain, as I find it a bit hard if there is a positive reason for certain things. It is at least kind of unique.

bonbonsrus wrote:
also not really loving Wave!! Let's go surfing, LBX Girls and probably Hortensia Saga.

Those track.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote
This season I'm watching:
Back Arrow
YuruCamp S2
Horimiya
Sk8 the Infinity

I just started watching Bottom Tier Character Tomozaki and still need to check out Log Horizon.

Out of what I listed, the only shows I actually look forward to watching every week are Back Arrow and YuruCamp. I like watching these 2 the day they air. As for the other ones: Sk8 is something else to watch while I'm actually thinking about dropping Horimiya because I honestly forgot how annoying Hori can be.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:

I binged the episodes and posted my thoughts in the Series Discussion area. I do think binging it can make it worse, and could be a bit hard to explain, as I find it a bit hard if there is a positive reason for certain things. It is at least kind of unique.

I read your comments and since we seem to have pretty similar tastes on a lot of things I have to say your review didn't make me want to see it more.
And I understand about binging making it worse, it's one that honestly if it were coming out one at a time I'd probably watch, but knowing I'd have to catch up with a bunch feels more dreadful. I may still try eventually, or try slower, but I can't binge something I don't like at least pretty well.

I could probably add Yashahime: Princess Half Demon to one near the bottom of my list. Maybe it's because I had too high of expectations after InuYasha, but I really don't look forward to seeing it, and I am still hopeful that it will somehow magically get better, but it isn't looking like it will.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the only thing I'm watching that's 'priority' is AoT. I make a point of watching that on the same day it airs, bar when I'm not home. Everything else I will just watch whenever after it airs, sometimes the same day, sometimes days later.
elsewish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 am Reply with quote
#921570 wrote:
Like the title suggests. This season of anime, which anime has your highest priority. Which ones are you on the jump to watch once when they are released over others or rather, there are still shows you are behind on. From highest to lowest. This season so far, I have been hyped to see Jobless Reincarnation and Re:zero s2 pt 2 as I get to see more of these stories unfold. However, unlike these two, I have slowly been losing interest in Urasekai Picnic, Hidden Dungeon and Tatoeba Last Dungeon. Not saying these shows are bad or that I won't stop watching them but if those shows came on the same day as Jobless or Re:Zero, Im not even considering watching them. What series have your attention this season? Join my group on Whatsapp GB.

Mushoku Tensei and AoT are the only anime I watch the moment after it airs. Wonder Egg Priority comes close. Rezero and Beastars are my lowest priority shows and I haven't even watched the last few episodes.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I had to remove the old thread as the OP was a spambot who edited spam into their post later. I think the topic itself is valid, and the discussion started so far was interesting. So I thought I would create a new thread for the topic (tweaking it slightly) and merge the other posts back in. Since the previous posts were created before my own post here they will show above this post once merged. Feel free to continue the discussion though.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I figured I would join and post my own thoughts.

For me at this point, with my time more limited than in years past, it comes down to 2 questions. Is it a returning show I am current with? Is it a "must see" for me? Generally I prioritize shows I am already current with first and foremost. It helps me to not get too far behind with that particular show (like what happened with me and Attack on Titan missing last season before this final one aired), or have my backlog grow even more than it already has. Shows I am current on, and really enjoy, get top billing. After that I see how much time I have left base don how many shows that winds up being.

With the leftover amount I ask my which shows I HAVE to see now as they air? I do not mind waiting. I have a ton of anime backlogged from new and old shows, manga and American comics to read, D&D sessions to plan as a DM, and oh yea...work and a normal life. Staying busy is not my problem. Plus I come from the vhs single tape days, which then turned into the dvd singles days. Waiting months just to get 3-4 episodes. So waiting a few months to binge an entire season or cour is hardly an issue for me. The shows I have to watch now, for whatever reason, I try and make room for and they get second priority.

If there's any time left over, which normally there isn't except for a really slow season, I'll add in shows that caught my interest but might not be must watch for me. I will say certain directors or studios do get a higher priority as well.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
I generally don’t watch too many simulcasts at once since I don’t want to feel pressured and overwhelmed. I tend to pick out things I think I would really like from each season, though if a good recommendation appeals to me I may pick up more anime.

Currently I’m watching Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure, Fruits Basket the Final, Those Snow White Notes, Fairy Ranmaru and The Saint’s Magic Power is Omnipotent. I am highly enjoying all of them so far.

I am also watching (and loving) Inuyasha and Kira Kira Pretty Cure A La Mode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a real odd duck amongst anime fans in that I don't really watch currently-airing series much at all. The only times I do is if something winds up on Toonami as a near-simuldub, or if the group of friends I've watched a lot of series with over the years decides to pick up something current. (There's also One Piece, but that's, well, One Piece. Very Happy) Part of it is sheer laziness: I'm absolutely terrible at getting things watched without an external driving influence, like a set TV broadcast or a scheduled group watch time. Streaming as a means of watching new shows has also never clicked with me for whatever reason: I'm still one of those weird oldbies who buys a lot of anime sight-unseen. But a big part of it is how frustratingly often anime series fail to stick the landing, often in spectacularly-awful ways. If I invest time in a show, I want to have at least some idea of where it's going to wind up, and if the journey will be worth it. At the very least, if I'm going into a trainwreck, I'd like to have a clear view of it beforehand. (*glances at a certain infamous example that just ended*) This is where ANN's summary reviews are so incredibly useful, since I can get a good sense of the quality of the work as a whole without having to roll the dice.

In any case I'm super envious of people who do have the discipline to keep up with multiple currently-airing series on their own schedule, because lord knows I just can't pull it off.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:33 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I feel like a real odd duck amongst anime fans in that I don't really watch currently-airing series much at all.

I am very much the same. Most new shows don't interest me all that much, and my internet connection is atrocious for streaming. I tend to pay attention to reviews and new show announcements to get a feel for what I might like. I tend to watch a few eps streaming to see if I like the show or not. If I don't I drop it, if I like it I generally wait until the DVD/BDs become available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1