• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Setsuna noted that Shiori sometimes loses her powers. So like, how many total eclipses did this area of Japan see in less than ten years? Normally, she could go ~350-400 years without a problem, and she's like what, 20ish? Smile
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Wait now I know why all the reviews have been so poor! The reviewer has never seen the digits series! What a joke!
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yashahime is so goddamned weird and out-of-order with its narrative that there's no way to know if it's going to stick at all.

With only 4 more episodes left until MHA takes over the local timeslot, I think it's unlikely the writers will attempt to stick to a definite end and wrap everything up by then (not unless they want to rush all the current hanging plot points).

Instead, they'll probably bring the plot points over for another anime season. Some commenters have long suspected the showrunners are aiming to make Yashahime a longrunning anime series, and the narrative's pacing seems to be pointing that way.

crazieanimefan1 wrote:
What got me is the fact Shiori spoiler[changes to a human during an eclipse.] Now, like the rest of us, we knew on the new moon changing Inuyasha and Towa. So this means, there's more ways that hanyou can change to humans.

Dogs are more associated to the moon, especially wolves. I'm not aware of bats and eclipses, but it was a rather interesting thing to note.

Iirc Takahashi's source manga didn't go deeper into half-demons' human changing periods, but the 1st anime series did play around with the concept a bit.

I recall an anime-original arc whose half-demon antagonist, Izumo/Gyu-ou, would be fully human during the day, but transform into a full demon (a giant bull-man) every night. His desperation to become human drove him to make an alliance with another demon to recreate the Shikon Jewel by mass harvesting human souls (and giving away the prototypes to demons, since it could serve as short-term power boosters).
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:28 pm Reply with quote
This episode was actually ok, but still had some head scratchers.

So apparently Setsuna's missing memories are only from before the forest fire. I figured her cold personality was because she lost them somewhat recently (a couple of month to a couple of years) and was basically a blank slate, but I guess not *shrug* You'd think she'd be a little more approachable based on how she seemed when she was younger. This also means that it's even less important to find the butterfly because most people barely remember anything from when they were 4 years old anyway.

Demons keep looking for the village, so why does Shiori seem to insist that when the half demons grow up they need to leave? What's wrong with them staying and making an actual home there, not to mention offering protection?

Why was that one demon wearing a vest? Anime dazed

Interesting that Setsuna's swallow attack isn't tied to the weapon (I figured it was a power of the naginata), but I guess she can use it with any bladed weapon.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

With only 4 more episodes left until MHA takes over the local timeslot, I think it's unlikely the writers will attempt to stick to a definite end and wrap everything up by then (not unless they want to rush all the current hanging plot points).

Instead, they'll probably bring the plot points over for another anime season. Some commenters have long suspected the showrunners are aiming to make Yashahime a longrunning anime series, and the narrative's pacing seems to be pointing that way.

On crunchy's episode listing screen for Yashahime, there's a link to a screen labeled "Details", and that screen now lists "Seasons: 4" and "Episodes: 55". So it looks like the show has done well enough for planning for 30+ more episodes.

Sigh. As long as I'm only following 5 to 10 shows a season, I guess I'll keep watching on days when I'm not watching anything else. Moroha is usually good for a joke or two, and there's usually an ok fight scene. Neutral
Smiley82

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:

On crunchy's episode listing screen for Yashahime, there's a link to a screen labeled "Details", and that screen now lists "Seasons: 4" and "Episodes: 55". So it looks like the show has done well enough for planning for 30+ more episodes.

No, they have 55 episodes in 4 different languages. Not sure why they list them as different seasons.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
^ Ok, thanks.
RR529

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:16 pm Reply with quote
The further we get into it, the more it seems like InuYasha/Kagome/Moroha have been really shafted in comparison to the other families.

Miroku & Sango got a full 8 years or so to raise their kids before things went down, and although they have a mysteriously missing daughter, it seems like they still have a relationship with the other daughter & Hisui (even if he was a bit estranged from Miroku for a bit).

Towa & Setsuna, while not raised by their parents, were both taken care of by loving adoptive parents, and it's pretty much been confirmed at this point that as cold as he is, Sesshomaru has been quietly watching them from the shadows. Sure, Rin is stuck in a tree (and I'm guessing unaware of the world around her), but the relationship between SessRin & their daughters, despite being the core focus of this series, doesn't mean as much to the fandom as the other relationships, so I'm not too bothered with it.

Meanwhile, InuYasha & Kagome were sucked into a pocket dimension (fully closed off to the outside world) when their daughter was an infant. As for Moroha herself, while we don't know what her young childhood was like, it's clear that at some point Koga pawned her off onto some other wolf, who then quite literally pawned her off (and Koga is apparently too busy, or something, to go out and check on her once a year or so).

I've long heard a certain group of fans speculate that the anime team didn't care for Kagome (or preferred Kikyo, or something to that effect), and while I'm not one to buy into conspiracy theories, it certainly looks like she's gotten the short end of the stick here, lol.

Seriously though, despite whatever Sesshomaru's intentions may be, if they don't let InuYasha belt him one when he gets out (or worse, if they act like InuYasha is being unreasonable if he takes issue with Sesshomaru's plan), I'm gonna flip, lol.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, took them 20 episodes, but finally a functional one.

It actually gives relevant data, makes the sisters closer... buuuuut... further makes Towa's search useless.

You telling me that Setsuna not only just lost 4 years of memories, but her first 4 years?

Who the hell remembers his first 4 years of life?

At the very best to get some random foggy flashbacks and that's all, It would be hilarious if they finally kill the butterfly just for Towa to ask "Remember something" and Setsuna answers "Nop".

If the show do gets a second season and, for some miracle, gets good, I am probably tell people "Watch the first 3 episodes, then jump to the 20-24th, Miroku is training, K&I are trapped in another dimension, Rin is the mother, now you can watch season 2".

Nobody will convince me this wasn't a movie stretched to 24 episodes with 17 episodes of filler.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

You telling me that Setsuna not only just lost 4 years of memories, but her first 4 years?

Who the hell remembers his first 4 years of life?

At the very best to get some random foggy flashbacks and that's all, It would be hilarious if they finally kill the butterfly just for Towa to ask "Remember something" and Setsuna answers "Nop".

It makes Towa look really selfish and thoughtless. She expects Setsuna to trade her 24/7 awareness and new moon immunity for some vague childhood memories instead of just bonding with her. Though maybe in the last episode she'll realize her and Setsuna can develop a relationship even without those memories but I doubt the writers have thought that far.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
RR529 wrote:
The further we get into it, the more it seems like InuYasha/Kagome/Moroha have been really shafted in comparison to the other families.

Miroku & Sango got a full 8 years or so to raise their kids before things went down, and although they have a mysteriously missing daughter, it seems like they still have a relationship with the other daughter & Hisui (even if he was a bit estranged from Miroku for a bit).

Towa & Setsuna, while not raised by their parents, were both taken care of by loving adoptive parents, and it's pretty much been confirmed at this point that as cold as he is, Sesshomaru has been quietly watching them from the shadows. Sure, Rin is stuck in a tree (and I'm guessing unaware of the world around her), but the relationship between SessRin & their daughters, despite being the core focus of this series, doesn't mean as much to the fandom as the other relationships, so I'm not too bothered with it.

Meanwhile, InuYasha & Kagome were sucked into a pocket dimension (fully closed off to the outside world) when their daughter was an infant. As for Moroha herself, while we don't know what her young childhood was like, it's clear that at some point Koga pawned her off onto some other wolf, who then quite literally pawned her off (and Koga is apparently too busy, or something, to go out and check on her once a year or so).

I've long heard a certain group of fans speculate that the anime team didn't care for Kagome (or preferred Kikyo, or something to that effect), and while I'm not one to buy into conspiracy theories, it certainly looks like she's gotten the short end of the stick here, lol.

Seriously though, despite whatever Sesshomaru's intentions may be, if they don't let InuYasha belt him one when he gets out (or worse, if they act like InuYasha is being unreasonable if he takes issue with Sesshomaru's plan), I'm gonna flip, lol.

The creators of Yashahime don't hate Kagome that's ridiculous. The reason the show doesn't focus on Kagome and Inuyasha. Is because the creators of Yashahime were people that worked on the original show that felt that Sesshomaru and Rin's stories didn't get any closure. So they created a sequel series about their family. As far as the writers and Rumiko Takahashi are concerned Inuyasha and Kagome's story ended with the final act. So they were deliberately not made the focus. In fact Moroha's character was created as a after thought as she wasn't originally intended to be a part of the show.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:55 pm Reply with quote
MetalEmolga7 wrote:
RR529 wrote:

The creators of Yashahime don't hate Kagome that's ridiculous. The reason the show doesn't focus on Kagome and Inuyasha. Is because the creators of Yashahime were people that worked on the original show that felt that Sesshomaru and Rin's stories didn't get any closure. So they created a sequel series about their family. As far as the writers and Rumiko Takahashi are concerned Inuyasha and Kagome's story ended with the final act. So they were deliberately not made the focus. In fact Moroha's character was created as a after thought as she wasn't originally intended to be a part of the show.

Gotta say that makes it worse. If the best part of the show is their “afterthought” then they really should’ve spent these in-between years focusing on what closure is. Because all they’ve added to the characters of Rin and Sesshomaru is that they fucked. He then fucked off to never again interact with his wife and kids, and stole the ability for Rin, Inuyasha, and Kagome to even be known by their own children. At this point the only fitting ending is the other adults being freed and collectively telling him to fudge off, and trying their best to connect with nearly fully grown kids that have no idea who they are. But that would also require the kids to have any motivations at all, and we’re nearly to the end of the season without that.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

Gotta say that makes it worse. If the best part of the show is their “afterthought” then they really should’ve spent these in-between years focusing on what closure is. Because all they’ve added to the characters of Rin and Sesshomaru is that they fucked. He then fucked off to never again interact with his wife and kids, and stole the ability for Rin, Inuyasha, and Kagome to even be known by their own children. At this point the only fitting ending is the other adults being freed and collectively telling him to fudge off, and trying their best to connect with nearly fully grown kids that have no idea who they are. But that would also require the kids to have any motivations at all, and we’re nearly to the end of the season without that.

Best part too who? Fan polls show the most popular character is Towa. Also are you going too ignore the whole Kirinmaru is trying to murder the kids and that they were supposed to be hiding part of the plot. Kirinmaru sent demons to murder them the day they were born. Do you think Sesshomaru would be a better parent if he just let them be killed? That and it's obvious that Sesshomaru was the one sending the letters to Setsuna. Who else would give her a mokomoko and know how to teach her how to fight. Do you pay attention to anything that happens in the show.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
MetalEmolga7 wrote:
ATastySub wrote:

Best part too who? Fan polls show the most popular character is Towa. Also are you going too ignore the whole Kirinmaru is trying to murder the kids and that they were supposed to be hiding part of the plot. Kirinmaru sent demons to murder them the day they were born. Do you think Sesshomaru would be a better parent if he just let them be killed? That and it's obvious that Sesshomaru was the one sending the letters to Setsuna. Who else would give her a mokomoko and know how to teach her how to fight. Do you pay attention to anything that happens in the show.

Yes I do actually pay attention, which definitely does make it harder to enjoy. I’m sure it is a lot more palatable and entertaining if the only reason you’re watching is because you liked Sesshomaru in Inuyasha. Sadly when you pay attention it really hurts how little effort was put into creating a cohesive story with motivated characters.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Would Seshomaru fan really be satisfied with this show? If you were really into Sesh, wouldn't you want a show about him specifically rather than the kids he got by [expletive] a child zombie and he then proceed to ignore and never raise himself?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 29